June 2012 LSAT with School + Part-Time Work?

KingsBench

June 2012 LSAT with School + Part-Time Work?

Postby KingsBench » Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:58 am

So I initially was planning to take the June 2012 administration of the LSAT but after doing more research I'm starting to have some doubts as to whether or not I'll be prepared in time.

I'll be doing my diagnostic during the next two weeks and starting to study in January. However, I'm also still in undergrad (3rd year) so my priority will be keeping my grades up for admissions next year. I'm also working part-time and keeping busy with extracurriculars (research, on-campus clubs, etc.) and I'm worried that I just won't have the time to really dedicate to LSAT prep. I'm also contemplating auditing a logic course as a 6th course (I'm out of electives and stuck with completing major requirements) but I'm not sure if this would be a good idea.

Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on this - should I stick with June given the timeframe + other commitments? I know that it's hard to tell without a base score to work with, but I'm trying to work out my schedule for next semester so I figured I would try and get an idea of what to expect.

Thanks in advance!

Re: June 2012 LSAT with School + Part-Time Work?

Postby 20130312 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:21 am

Don't overload yourself while you're still in UG. I did this and my GPA suffered. Just don't worry about law school for now, keep your grades up, work if you have to. Taking a year off after graduation really isn't as terrible a thing as you think it is right now.

ExcelBaller

Postby ExcelBaller » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:35 pm

I worked 25 hrs a week and have taken 15 hrs every semester including summer this year while preparing for the december lsat. I have a great work ethic and I have been stressed as hell all year and do not recommend taking the June admin. if you must take it I recommend taking the oct or dec admin for 2012. Go to LSATblog.com to get a schedule and start your prep. Also if you aren't taking the summer classes like I did I say go for it. It will take some time but start light study sessions merely doing the power score and manhattan guides. Once you get into the middle of summer really take it to the next level and start pts and drilling. Also over the course of the spring semester type drafts of your personal statement resume and addenda when you get the wave of inspiration. Live LSAT and you will do fine

kennethellenparcell

Postby kennethellenparcell » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:44 pm

OP - do not take the LSAT in June. Wait until you can dedicate much more of your time and effort to getting a killer score. I was in the situation you're describing and I took the LSAT, and my score suffered a lot. My GPA also suffered.

The LSAT is too important to your application. Concentrate on your GPA for now. If anything, I suggest taking time off after graduation unless you absolutely know that you want to go to law school. (Even if you're absolutely sure, I would still recommend time off before law school.) I would actually suggest waiting until the summer after your senior year (if you can) and dedicating 100% of your time to studying before you start your job.

Aim to take the LSAT only once and beast it.

Postby 062914123 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:09 pm

Last edited by 062914123 on Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Miracle

Postby Miracle » Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:17 pm

I totally disagree. I studied for LSAT while i was in school full time, and working full time still managing to obtain 170+.

It will all come down to you. To say that you need to take a year off is bit too much. You should start studying now, asses if you can-cannot sit for june, if the answer is no, then aim for October, but to completely toss it to another year is bit too much extreme.

TatNurner

Postby TatNurner » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:20 pm

Miracle wrote:I totally disagree. I studied for LSAT while i was in school full time, and working full time still managing to obtain 170+.

It will all come down to you. To say that you need to take a year off is bit too much. You should start studying now, asses if you can-cannot sit for june, if the answer is no, then aim for October, but to completely toss it to another year is bit too much extreme.

For mere mortals like the rest of us it's best to focus on one thing at a time and get that right before moving onto the next.

OP - in my experience, when you take on too many things at the same time, you leave yourself with little room to maneuver. If something goes wrong and one of your goals takes longer than you expected/requires more input to see through, it could end up hurting everything else that you are trying to do, and put you further behind than you would have been if you had just done one thing at a time.

Slow and steady is the way to go.

rbkl

Postby rbkl » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:23 pm

Depends on your style... from what I've gathered, taking the test multiple times is not a good idea (most, if not all, will look at all of you scores and take those into consideration). It will come down to what schools you want to go to, what are your personal goals, and how well you are doing on the LSATs practice tests currently.

jared6180

Postby jared6180 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 9:10 pm

I am taking 18 hours + LSAT study this semester and taking the LSAT in June. Am I a little stressed yes, but we will not be starting classes until next week at my UG, so my stress level could go way up or way down, no way to know at this point. I am taking 18 hours for the next 3 semesters so I can get done and get on with my life.

Should every body to it this way? No. Will some, but not all, fail? Yes. This is why you have to try yourself, and make up your mind on a goal. I am honestly still in limbo. I can't say that I am completely comfortable with the pace, however I believe I can achieve similar results at this point. If I walk into classes next week and I realize the demands and expectations are to high I will back off the throttle a bit, but for me it's an issue of trying.

Postby 20130312 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:47 am

rbkl wrote:from what I've gathered, taking the test multiple times is not a good idea (most, if not all, will look at all of you scores and take those into consideration).

Blatantly false. The majority only look at your highest.

Reference: http://www.top-law-schools.com/retaking-the-lsat.html

Halfway down the page is a listing of all the schools' policies

Gail

Postby Gail » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:22 pm

KingsBench wrote:So I initially was planning to take the June 2012 administration of the LSAT but after doing more research I'm starting to have some doubts as to whether or not I'll be prepared in time.

I'll be doing my diagnostic during the next two weeks and starting to study in January. However, I'm also still in undergrad (3rd year) so my priority will be keeping my grades up for admissions next year. I'm also working part-time and keeping busy with extracurriculars (research, on-campus clubs, etc.) and I'm worried that I just won't have the time to really dedicate to LSAT prep. I'm also contemplating auditing a logic course as a 6th course (I'm out of electives and stuck with completing major requirements) but I'm not sure if this would be a good idea.

Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on this - should I stick with June given the timeframe + other commitments? I know that it's hard to tell without a base score to work with, but I'm trying to work out my schedule for next semester so I figured I would try and get an idea of what to expect.

Thanks in advance!

It depends upon the person. I did this in October (30 hours of work a week + school) and ended up with a 166 and a 4.00. I only took 400 level courses. It was hell, but if you schedule your time wisely, you can do it.

KingsBench

Postby KingsBench » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:44 pm

It depends upon the person. I did this in October (30 hours of work a week + school) and ended up with a 166 and a 4.00. I only took 400 level courses. It was hell, but if you schedule your time wisely, you can do it.

I've started going through the LGB and getting familiar with some of the sections; but I figure that I can start slowly now and if by June I'm not feeling fully prepared I can always cancel and write in October.

For those who are still in UG and studying for your LSAT, how are you structuring your studying? I found LSATBlog super useful in terms of a study guide, but I've adjusted it to fit my busy schedule.

jared6180

Postby jared6180 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:38 pm

KingsBench wrote:For those who are still in UG and studying for your LSAT, how are you structuring your studying? I found LSATBlog super useful in terms of a study guide, but I've adjusted it to fit my busy schedule.

LSATBlog is what I have attempted to use. classes don't start until next Tuesday, but I figure this is the only way I can attempt to keep pace with UG and LSAT study.

rbkl

Postby rbkl » Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:17 am

InGoodFaith wrote:
rbkl wrote:from what I've gathered, taking the test multiple times is not a good idea (most, if not all, will look at all of you scores and take those into consideration).

Blatantly false. The majority only look at your highest.

Reference: http://www.top-law-schools.com/retaking-the-lsat.html

Halfway down the page is a listing of all the schools' policies

I never said they don't use the highest score as their "qualifier." My point being, which is also validated through the comments on the bottom from the actual school policies, that schools that use the highest score still look at previous attempts for the LSAT. In fact, most ask for some sort of documentation if your score is significantly higher than the previous one.

Come on, let's think about this. Admission counselors, given an LSAC log of tests for every student, will HAVE to look at previous attempts. At the end of the day, if you think you won't perform up to your best, it's better to wait and take it once -- over taking it twice. ie Wait 6 months for a single 170, instead of having a 160 and a 170 together.

Gail

Postby Gail » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:57 pm

rbkl wrote:
I never said they don't use the highest score as their "qualifier." My point being, which is also validated through the comments on the bottom from the actual school policies, that schools that use the highest score still look at previous attempts for the LSAT. In fact, most ask for some sort of documentation if your score is significantly higher than the previous one.

Come on, let's think about this. Admission counselors, given an LSAC log of tests for every student, will HAVE to look at previous attempts. At the end of the day, if you think you won't perform up to your best, it's better to wait and take it once -- over taking it twice. ie Wait 6 months for a single 170, instead of having a 160 and a 170 together.

In a perfect world there would be a slight penalty. Unfortunately, it isn't a perfect world. And a lot of 170+ got that score by retaking. Goes line step with median inflation.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”