Are newer LGs easier? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
desiballa21

Bronze

Are newer LGs easier?

Post by desiballa21 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:33 pm

I'm using PTs 29-38 for now and am having quite a bit of trouble with a lot of them but someone told me that most of the hard games are from those sets of PTs and they have gotten significantly easier since then. If so, that would help boost morale a bit. Is that true?

NightmanCometh

New

Re: Are newer LGs easier?

Post by NightmanCometh » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:17 pm

The games from PT40-mid 50s are noticeably easier than anything from PT1-38. However, starting from the late 50's to the 60s they start to get harder again.

Starting from the 60s, I would say the games start to get harder and more importantly, different. It all depends on your strengths when you want to compare the difficulty between 29-38 and 60+. I found that PT29-38 had a few very difficult deductions that you had to make in the beginning, but once you made them you could answer chunks of questions with very little thought. The new games (60+) I found to have less of these large deductions, more hypotheticals and general questions (must be true, could be false) and require you to think constantly and keep the pencil moving FAST throughout, which for me is worse because they take me longer per game. But some people find them easier for the fact that there are very few complex or elegant deductions that need to be made.

Although doing ALL the games is a good idea, I think that once you get the hang of it, I would definitely advise you getting the new PTs 55-63 and tailor your approach to the newer games, as they are the ones that matter the most in terms of future tests.

luxxe

Silver

Post by luxxe » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:19 pm

NightmanCometh wrote: Although doing ALL the games is a good idea, I think that once you get the hang of it, I would definitely advise you getting the new PTs 55-63 and tailor your approach to the newer games, as they are the ones that matter the most in terms of future tests.
This. Plus newer games have new question types (rule replacement, specifically, which eat up a TON of time). I took the October LSAT and it was one of the hardest games sections I had seen in a long time.

Jasper21

New

Post by Jasper21 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:25 pm

This. Plus newer games have new question types (rule replacement, specifically, which eat up a TON of time). I took the October LSAT and it was one of the hardest games sections I had seen in a long time.[/quote]

This. VERY TRUE!!

desiballa21

Bronze

Post by desiballa21 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:33 pm

I'm currently using LSATBLOG's study guide and he doesn't use any newer tests until about 2 weeks from the LSAT. Should I deviate a little from it then?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

NightmanCometh

New

Post by NightmanCometh » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:51 pm

desiballa21 wrote:I'm currently using LSATBLOG's study guide and he doesn't use any newer tests until about 2 weeks from the LSAT. Should I deviate a little from it then?
If I were you I would pick one recent test (maybe PT62, its a good tough one for LG) to do and see how you perform. Then do PTs 50-60. Save the rest of the 60s- 61,63,64 for the last 2 weeks as suggested by your study guide.

Although, in my opinion, really digging down and analyzing the newest tests and spending about a month on them is beneficial (not only for LG but also LR) because despite what some ppl will tell you the questions DO change however subtly and you want to be the most prepared for the newest, most relevant questions that the LSAT can throw at you on test day.

Moultdog

New

Post by Moultdog » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:50 am

LGs were my strongest section, but I usually did very poorly on anything from the 1990s. There were a lot of weird ones back then, but for the most part they seemed to get much more standardized as the 2000s advanced. Tests from the early 1900s won't tell you too much about how you'll do on today's LGs, imo

willwash

Bronze

Post by willwash » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:21 pm

luxxe wrote:
NightmanCometh wrote: Although doing ALL the games is a good idea, I think that once you get the hang of it, I would definitely advise you getting the new PTs 55-63 and tailor your approach to the newer games, as they are the ones that matter the most in terms of future tests.
This. Plus newer games have new question types (rule replacement, specifically, which eat up a TON of time). I took the October LSAT and it was one of the hardest games sections I had seen in a long time.
This. Rule replacement questions are so hard that I pretty much say, well that's the one question I can miss and still get a 180, bubble C on it as soon as I see it, and move on. If I have time at the end I'll come back but I never do, really. These questions are evil.

desiballa21

Bronze

Post by desiballa21 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:31 pm

Are rule replacement questions only on certain types of games (sequencing, grouping) or can they be on any? Still in the 29-38 LGs.

willwash

Bronze

Post by willwash » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:48 pm

desiballa21 wrote:Are rule replacement questions only on certain types of games (sequencing, grouping) or can they be on any? Still in the 29-38 LGs.
They first appeared in the mid 50's, and have appeared on almost every administration since.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”