Powerscore course - no need to buy any other materials?

akotran

Powerscore course - no need to buy any other materials?

Postby akotran » Mon Dec 19, 2011 3:03 pm

I took a powerscore class this past summer while I was interning in DC. The lobbying firm where I was working had crazy working hours, so I ended up being totally fried when I went to the classes, which were from 6-10pm. Needless to say, I didn't benefit very much from the course and this was only worsened by the fact that I didn't study at all outside of class.

The course comes with tons of material, and my instructor told me that the books have every lsat test that is out, although many of the questions are separated into groups, such as linear sequencing games being put together.

My plan is to absolutely destroy the LG section (I feel a lot more comfortable with the LR and RC sections) on my own and use all the material that I have from the class to study. Will I need to get any other materials besides those provided by Powerscore if I want to ace the June LSAT?

Thanks guys

ExcelBaller

Re: Powerscore course - no need to buy any other materials?

Postby ExcelBaller » Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:21 pm

Powerscore is great for LG and a good foundation for LR, but I also recommend:
- 10 actual official preptests (get the 30 most recent tests if you have the time to do them)
- Manhattan LR strategy guide - highly recommend this to take your LR to the next level. It is very in depth, easy to read, and will help you work a system for answering question types.
- I do not recommend Kaplan. They are overpriced and under deliver in terms of use and functionality; meaning they were to broad in their approach and did not fit in with the more efficient methods of answering questions.
- Maybe someone else can offer a suggestion on RC because I didn't buy any material on it. I used Dave Halls spam method and free videos from his website in addition to just practicing. - - Definitely get familiar with newer RC passages because they seem to have gotten more difficult.
- Download a stopwatch app and the Test Proctor app if you have an iPhone to simulate real testing

FavoriteColorGRUE

Postby FavoriteColorGRUE » Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:15 pm

I took this class as well (I actually might have been in your exact class, as I was also in a DC summer PS course - funny!), and I do not think that you'll need to purchase any further materials. Our course books covered everything in the PS Bibles, and the online student center has PDFs of dozens of practice LSAT tests. I think if you go through all the supplementary course material, you'll be great shape.
Good luck!

john1990

Postby john1990 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:40 pm

i strongly recommend reading the Manhattan RC book. You can get the nook online for $10 here
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/manhatt ... tegy+guide

You can't print the nook, but with the highlight tool its not really necessary.
Otherwise the book is $40 and worth it.

penguinbrah

Postby penguinbrah » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:46 pm

i've taken the online powerscore class.. but was thinking about signing up for the online velocity class because it seems as if Dave has some solid material and techniques that seem better than powerscore..

is this true? can anyone that's used Dave's techniques/material vouch that it is different from powerscore and more beneficial? or is it just better to get the manhattan LR book?

edit: if it's the same techniques as manhattan and powerscore combined i'd rather just get the manhattan LR and drill the shit out of LR and everything else

akotran

Postby akotran » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:40 am

So I'm about done with the LG bible and I'd like to start drilling the sh*t out of games. Would it be ill advised to spend the next two months doing nothing but games? I feel much more confident about LR and RC and feel like once I have the games down, I'll be much more confident going into the manhattan LR book.

Also, powerscore's books are divided into lessons with homework (drills), often with half being devoted to LG and the other half LR. Would it be better to follow the lessons and do all the homework or hit all the games in the powerscore books and leave all LR to manhattan?

ExcelBaller

Postby ExcelBaller » Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:48 am

You will be awesome at LG if you do that I think it's overkill though. If you seriously did nothing but lg for a few hrs a day you would be a pro in a matter of weeks.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”