rglifberg

Postby rglifberg » Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:40 pm

Last edited by rglifberg on Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ohiobumpkin

Re: 150 Diagnostic

Postby Ohiobumpkin » Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:45 pm

Are you counting the rest of the LG questions left blank as wrong answers? If so, you're probably not doing too bad on the rest of the test. LG is the easiest section to improve on. Don't let it intimidate you. Once you master some diagramming and timing techniques, it will be a piece of cake.

rglifberg

Postby rglifberg » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:00 am

Yep I counted the blanks as wrong answers. I actually got the first four questions right until they started to get much harder and I had no idea how to even approach them.

cutecarmel

Postby cutecarmel » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:09 am

Yeah. Logic Games are apparently the easiest to learn. There are specific strategies for each type of game, and if you master the strategies, you can master these sections. My diagnostic was about the same as yours, and I ended up with a 161 on my LSAT. I had the opposite problem though (I always understood games but had problems with RC---which is much harder to learn) so you should do fine.

Just wondering, are you appying for the this cycle, or the 2012-2013 cycle.

rglifberg

Postby rglifberg » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:14 am

Hmmm interesting. That is definitely reassuring. I am applying for the Fall of 2012. Does applying late affect chances at all? I am curious b/c I messed up my first two years of college but I have a very significant upward grade trend. So, yeah my LSAC gpa sucks but my bachelor's level classes average to a 3.5. I'm really banking on doing well on this exam.

cutecarmel

Postby cutecarmel » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:28 am

I think you put yourself in a bad position just now starting to study for the LSAT. You are going to have to put a lot of work into this, especially if you GPA is below-average.

What worries me is that many application deadlines (and especially priority scholarship deadlines) while have pased by the time your scores come in. I mean I definately think that you should still apply, but just be aware that if you do get into schools, you might not receive much $.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:30 am

rglifberg wrote:Hmmm interesting. That is definitely reassuring. I am applying for the Fall of 2012. Does applying late affect chances at all? I am curious b/c I messed up my first two years of college but I have a very significant upward grade trend. So, yeah my LSAC gpa sucks but my bachelor's level classes average to a 3.5. I'm really banking on doing well on this exam.

Applying that late severely hurts your chances.

1. Don't bother applying for Fall 2012.

2. Don't necessarily take the LSAT in February. If you're ready in February then take it then, but if you're not then take it in June.

3. Apply for Fall 2013.

Ohiobumpkin

Postby Ohiobumpkin » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:31 am

You mean applying for Fall 2012 Semester, or applying in the 2012-2013 cycle (with a presumable start in the Fall of 2013)? If you mean start classes in 2012, you should really wait until next cycle. It takes a good amount of studying to master the LSAT, and it sounds like given both your current skill and your need to compensate for a bad LSDAS GPA, you should wait.

rglifberg

Postby rglifberg » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:45 am

I was thinking about Fall semester of 2012. I think I may just wait until the next cycle after having different people tell me the same thing. Would taking the LSAT in February hurt if I do eventually retake it? I was reading about the LSDAS gpa and from what I read is that it it uses your credits receive until you receive a bachelors degree. I am a current senior and I have not yet graduated. I was thinking about taking classes towards a different major and then completing my original Criminal Justice degree once I have raised my cumulative GPA. Any opinions if this would work or would LSAC only take my criminal justice credits? Thanks everyone I really appreciate the input.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:47 am

rglifberg wrote:I was thinking about Fall semester of 2012. I think I may just wait until the next cycle after having different people tell me the same thing. Would taking the LSAT in February hurt if I do eventually retake it? I was reading about the LSDAS gpa and from what I read is that it it uses your credits receive until you receive a bachelors degree. I am a current senior and I have not yet graduated. I was thinking about taking classes towards a different major and then completing my original Criminal Justice degree once I have raised my cumulative GPA. Any opinions if this would work or would LSAC only take my criminal justice credits? Thanks everyone I really appreciate the input.

1. Old LSAT's aren't going to hurt you since schools generally only look at your best score.

2. LSAC will count all courses taken up until you receiver your first bachelors. It's a good idea to do whatever you can to inflate your GPA if law school is your goal.

cutecarmel

Postby cutecarmel » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:07 am

If you have something productive to do until law school, then I would say go for it. I, personally wouldn't want to take a year off, but if it works for you, then you definately should.

IF you are sure you won't apply until next cycle, hold off until June to take the LSAT. Take a prepcourse and then study your butt off. If you have doubts, take the LSAT in Feb, and if you decided to hold off, retaking won't kill you.

I'm not sure about the GPA new major thing. I think if you continued your degree a year/semester longer, all of your credits would count for your GPA, but I'm not positive (actually not even remotely sure, it just makes sense to me)

rglifberg wrote:I was thinking about Fall semester of 2012. I think I may just wait until the next cycle after having different people tell me the same thing. Would taking the LSAT in February hurt if I do eventually retake it? I was reading about the LSDAS gpa and from what I read is that it it uses your credits receive until you receive a bachelors degree. I am a current senior and I have not yet graduated. I was thinking about taking classes towards a different major and then completing my original Criminal Justice degree once I have raised my cumulative GPA. Any opinions if this would work or would LSAC only take my criminal justice credits? Thanks everyone I really appreciate the input.

rglifberg

Postby rglifberg » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:16 am

Thanks for the advice! I have the same feelings about taking a year off, especially since it has taken me 5 years to get to this point. I am already registered for a Testmasters prep class in January, so what I'm thinking is i'll the LSAT in February, apply to law school, and hope for the best. If I don't get in I will know before I would graduate, allowing me time to raise my gpa and possibly retake the exam if necessary. God this is stressful.......

cutecarmel

Postby cutecarmel » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:21 am

Good decision

rglifberg wrote:Thanks for the advice! I have the same feelings about taking a year off, especially since it has taken me 5 years to get to this point. I am already registered for a Testmasters prep class in January, so what I'm thinking is i'll the LSAT in February, apply to law school, and hope for the best. If I don't get in I will know before I would graduate, allowing me time to raise my gpa and possibly retake the exam if necessary. God this is stressful.......

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”