Best Online Prep Course Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
lsat2011

New

Best Online Prep Course

Post by lsat2011 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:10 pm

Any recommendations on the best online prep course? I'm retaking for a 170+ and I'm wondering if anyone has taken the Manhattan LSAT online self study course. Thanks!

Gold

Re: Best Online Prep Course

Post by 062914123 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:14 pm

I bought the Blueprint Online Course when I enrolled in the live classes, and use the online classes to catch up on classes I missed in real life. I think the quality of both classes is very high, and there is no obvious disadvantage to taking the online version. I gotta recommend it :)

GirlStop

Bronze

Post by GirlStop » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:10 am

@Bee: Just curious, how much did your score increase after BP?

fashiongirl

Bronze

Post by fashiongirl » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:00 pm

Another one for Blueprint's. Also they now offer explanations for every homework question. I can't rave enough about BP!

Gold

Post by 062914123 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:22 pm

GirlStop wrote:@Bee: Just curious, how much did your score increase after BP?
I'm currently enrolled and studying for the Feb LSAT, so no final word on this yet.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

fashiongirl

Bronze

Post by fashiongirl » Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:33 pm

Mine increased 17 points from first diag to last. Still waiting on Dec 2011 score though.

dinamo88

New

Post by dinamo88 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:39 pm

I'll agree with the other posters - Blueprint. I had a mid 160s score and, after taking their course, experienced a 7 point jump this past June. Good explanations, techniques, and material, and if you have further questions, the instructors respond to emails pretty quickly.

penguinbrah

New

Post by penguinbrah » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:23 pm

howcome I rarely see anyone recommending velocity.. from the previews on the website, it actually seems pretty good..

californihuh

New

Post by californihuh » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:01 am

fashiongirl wrote:Another one for Blueprint's. Also they now offer explanations for every homework question. I can't rave enough about BP!
I don't think I got that memo. I only see explanations on several HW questions (there's still alot of them), but still not every HW question. What gives?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Gold

Post by 062914123 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:15 pm

californihuh wrote:
fashiongirl wrote:Another one for Blueprint's. Also they now offer explanations for every homework question. I can't rave enough about BP!
I don't think I got that memo. I only see explanations on several HW questions (there's still alot of them), but still not every HW question. What gives?
Did you pay for the online course? If not, then not every single explanation will be available to you.

californihuh

New

Post by californihuh » Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:36 pm

bee wrote:
californihuh wrote:
Did you pay for the online course? If not, then not every single explanation will be available to you.
Yes, I did pay for the online course. (You can't access it unless you have)

Gold

Post by 062914123 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:47 pm

californihuh wrote:
bee wrote:
californihuh wrote:
Yes, I did pay for the online course. (You can't access it unless you have)
Actually, if you paid for a full length course, you have access to a lot of the HW explanations + 2 full lessons online. I'm not sure what's going on with your account... I just logged into mines to check, and I have access to all of them (paid for full length + online). You should call them and demand your money's worth :D

hooma

Bronze

Post by hooma » Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:52 pm

penguinbrah wrote:howcome I rarely see anyone recommending velocity.. from the previews on the website, it actually seems pretty good..
I'm taking Velocity right now and am only 3 classes deep but I really like it so far, fwiw. I'll be sure to give a better review once I've completed the course. I will say that I have studied for (kind of...) and taken the lsat 3 times, topped out at a 167, and am learning tricks I hadn't read anywhere else.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Easy-E

Platinum

Post by Easy-E » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:44 am

hooma wrote:
penguinbrah wrote:howcome I rarely see anyone recommending velocity.. from the previews on the website, it actually seems pretty good..
I'm taking Velocity right now and am only 3 classes deep but I really like it so far, fwiw. I'll be sure to give a better review once I've completed the course. I will say that I have studied for (kind of...) and taken the lsat 3 times, topped out at a 167, and am learning tricks I hadn't read anywhere else.

I will second that. I had a ton of trouble with games using both PS and Manhattan, but the Velocity method has clicked very well for me. Some of the techniques and general approaches for RC and LR have aided me drastically as well. Check out Dave's thread on this forum...

http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 2#p5054782

...and the free videos/FAQ on the website, and see if it gels for you. Dave is incredibly attentive towards his students as well. If you request help from him, he responds very quickly, and is happy to record videos explaining any questions one might be confused by (where a video isn't already available). Like any online class though, it requires a strong degree of self-motivation and discipline. No one can make you follow the syllabus and do your work, so make sure it's the right route for you before you invest. That said, I highly recommend Velocity.

FlanAl

Silver

Post by FlanAl » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:56 am

I thought manhattan self study was great. I used it after going through the powerscore books. but yeah the self study is probably a lot cheaper than other online courses and it does everything you need it to in my opinion. I cancelled my first score so I don't know how much I improved but I got a score that I am happy with.

citygirl000

Bronze

Post by citygirl000 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:06 am

emarxnj wrote:
hooma wrote:

I will second that. I had a ton of trouble with games using both PS and Manhattan, but the Velocity method has clicked very well for me. Some of the techniques and general approaches for RC and LR have aided me drastically as well. Check out Dave's thread on this forum...

http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 2#p5054782

...and the free videos/FAQ on the website, and see if it gels for you. Dave is incredibly attentive towards his students as well. If you request help from him, he responds very quickly, and is happy to record videos explaining any questions one might be confused by (where a video isn't already available). Like any online class though, it requires a strong degree of self-motivation and discipline. No one can make you follow the syllabus and do your work, so make sure it's the right route for you before you invest. That said, I highly recommend Velocity.
I also took Velocity and wish I found out about it sooner - the methods you learn through Dave are different than any other methods and (in my opinion) the only ones you need to know. If you check out the free videos, it will give you a good idea of what the course is like.

toddly76

New

Post by toddly76 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:17 pm

I took a full length in-class powerscore course and did quite well on some of my PTs but was very inconsistent, the methods didn't quite click for me especially on LG. I was PTing between 169-172 but I had a very bad day at the Oct LSAT. I took the Velocity course in two months before the December LSAT and really liked it. LG was much more intuitive and RC techniques were solid as well as the emphasis on flaw types in LR. I'd highly recommend Velocity, was PTing up in the mid 170s after that and felt like I demolished the December test, we'll see.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Easy-E

Platinum

Post by Easy-E » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:03 pm

citygirl000 wrote: I also took Velocity and wish I found out about it sooner - the methods you learn through Dave are different than any other methods and (in my opinion) the only ones you need to know. If you check out the free videos, it will give you a good idea of what the course is like.

No joke. My games scores have taken OFF with his methods. I was wary at first, but once you start using it's pretty awesome. I just wish I had a nice clean marker board to use on test day :(

moxy

Bronze

Post by moxy » Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:21 pm

I liked Knewton Online Test Prep. They have a money back option, and you have access for a whole year!

RayNarayan

New

Post by RayNarayan » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:22 am

There are many and all of them are not of same kind as they lack the private mentor-ship and guidance. I was also searching for the same until recently i came across a site name [SPAM] which really provided me a private guidance for my online SAT prep. The exhaustive curriculum and the synopsis of study made the topics look quiet easier. They also offered free seminars for the SAT takers and the best part of the offering is the free online SAT prep tests offered by this site. One can gauge the preparation by taking those and working on the lacking areas. So i found it quiet different and useful apart from all the available portals.

Thanks

Mod edit: You have some nerve, coming to TLS to shill your services while pretending to be a customer.

bitsy

Bronze

Post by bitsy » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:29 am

RayNarayan wrote:There are many and all of them are not of same kind as they lack the private mentor-ship and guidance. I was also searching for the same until recently i came across a site name [spam] which really provided me a private guidance for my online SAT prep. The exhaustive curriculum and the synopsis of study made the topics look quiet easier. They also offered free seminars for the SAT takers and the best part of the offering is the free online SAT prep tests offered by this site. One can gauge the preparation by taking those and working on the lacking areas. So i found it quiet different and useful apart from all the available portals.

Thanks
studying for the SAT was crucial to my success as well. thanks for highlighting this oft-neglected strategy.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”