How Should I Structure Logical Reasoning Drills?

unitball

How Should I Structure Logical Reasoning Drills?

Postby unitball » Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:27 am

I've read on this forum that I should practice getting the first 10 questions in 10 minutes. Right now I usually end finishing only 20 or 21 questions in 35 minutes. So what approach do I take? Do I grab a handful of preptests and just work on doing the first 10 in 10 minutes, reviewing the 10 questions after completing each set of first-ten-questions from each preptest, then use the other 15 for standard practice? Or should I be do whole timed LR sections while putting emphasis on attempting to get the first 10 done in a short time? or some other method?

what methodology do you guys recommend?

JamMasterJ

Re: How Should I Structure Logical Reasoning Drills?

Postby JamMasterJ » Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:33 am

unitball wrote:I've read on this forum that I should practice getting the first 10 questions in 10 minutes. Right now I usually end finishing only 20 or 21 questions in 35 minutes. So what approach do I take? Do I grab a handful of preptests and just work on doing the first 10 in 10 minutes, reviewing the 10 questions after completing each set of first-ten-questions from each preptest, then use the other 15 for standard practice? Or should I be do whole timed LR sections while putting emphasis on attempting to get the first 10 done in a short time? or some other method?

what methodology do you guys recommend?

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=41657

or

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=173647

unitball

Postby unitball » Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:15 am

Thanks, but i dont think either of those threads answered my question specifically. I guess I should clarify that i mean drilling specifically to get 10 questions in 10 minutes.

ExcelBaller

Postby ExcelBaller » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:05 pm

What I did to increase my speed is time, literally, each question with the stop watch feature on my phone. (start, stop) then write out the amount of time it took me to answer the question, knowing you only have like 1:20 or something for each one. Then at the end of the section get out your calculator, add up the number of seconds it took for the whole test and divide by sixty. I did this for probably 8 LR sections and before I knew it I was easily getting through the first ten in 10 minutes and on test day I finished with a couple extra minutes to spare. I think this helped me in two ways, I stopped focusing on the "countdown" when I started timing myself going up, so my focus not on how much time I had left (tick,tick,tick) but on how quick I could recognize the questions type, read the stimulus, breakdown the argument core, and get to the answer choices - it made it kind of fun (cheesy I know, but make yourself enjoy what you're doing). The second way it helped me was that it allowed me to recognize where I burned the most time on each individual question type. Obviously, parallel question took the most time, but so did necessary assumption and weaken questions. So it allows you to gauge what you need to work in on terms of timing, what part of the section you need to focus on (ie first 10, second 10, last 5/6) and then develop a game plan for how you want to go about it (should i bubble after each page, every two pages, where is this test going to get tougher, why do I always start to slow down at question 9) Hope this answered your question more directly, if not, hope you found it useful

unitball

Postby unitball » Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:58 pm

^ awesome. that is exactly the type of explanation i was looking for, and i'll try this method.

Anyone else have other methods that worked for them?

Geetar Man

Postby Geetar Man » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:02 pm

unitball wrote:^ awesome. that is exactly the type of explanation i was looking for, and i'll try this method.

Anyone else have other methods that worked for them?

I believe the best way to increase your speed is to read the question stem first. In doing so, you will know exactly what you should be looking for in the question. The problem I have with reading the question stem after you read the stimulus is that you don't really know what you're looking for, and you find yourself trying to pay close attention to details. This slows most people down. Whereas reading the question stem first, you know what to look for.

After you know what you're looking for in each question (this comes from going over the question types and what the answer will do in order for it to be correct), it's all a matter of drilling. For me, I started out just drilling specific sections. This may be useful to some, but I found that drilling the questions by type will actually help me to find my weakness and work on it.

Once you've become familiar with reading the stem first, questions/answer choice characteristics, and what you need to do in attacking the question, then you have a really good basis for practice with timing.

Running off of what excelballer said, I think that is a great strategy. For me (and for others), the main way to learn the question is to understand the inherent features of the questions before you start worrying about timing.

Depending on what test you're prepping for (Feb or June), I think a good month and a half should suffice for getting the timing down in each section and practicing on maintaining endurance (which is done by taking 5-6 section PTs).

Hope that helps.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”