Trying to catch my girlfriend cheating...

JamMasterJ

Re: Trying to catch my girlfriend cheating...

Postby JamMasterJ » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:57 pm

kwais wrote:
Angrygeopolitically wrote:Um.... powerscore does differentiate between necessary assumption and sufficient assumption.

They call Necessary assumption- assumption questions. And sufficient assumption- justify the conclusion questions.

One of the many reasons I don't recommend people use PS for LR

Manhattan LR > PS LR

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:00 pm

Interesting lead up to ask about sufficient vs. necessary assumption questions.

Yes, you need to be able to differentiate those question types since the logical criteria for the correct answer choice is different for each of them.

The Powerscore material does differentiate them. Sufficient assumption question are called Justify the Conclusion questions in the LRB.

Regarding your girlfriend and living situation:
Dude, your GF is most likely cheating on you. Since you are living together you should be able to figure it out pretty easily with some simple observation/detective work.

When she comes home late does she avoid you and get into the shower right away? If so, a bad sign.
Alternatively, does she appear to be freshly showered when she shows back up at home late at night? If so, a bad sign.

The next ultimate and very definitive test is a little graphic to describe, so people that are easily disturbed or offended about sex talk should not read the text below this sentence.

When she arrives back home late at night you do the sniff test and a physical inspection immediately when she walks in the door, before she walks any farther than the entry way, before she goes into the bathroom or makes some excuse to go somewhere and avoid you for a while (maybe to change her clothes/panties, wash up, etc.). You get close, sniff around and inspect the pertinent parts of her body. Sex produces very distinctive smells. Also, if she is freshly bathed (meaning she took a shower/bath somewhere else shortly before coming home) you'll be able to tell with a close proximity smell test and body inspection. It's always a major red flag when your live-in girlfriend comes home late at night freshly bathed.

Now, here's the ultimate foolproof test that is a bit graphic to describe and somewhat difficult to get done if she is hostile and uncooperative. Close your eyes sensitive younglings and don't read this next part.

Since you are living together with her it's assumed that you two sleep together and see each other fully naked daily.
So, right when she walks in the door (you have to be awake and prepared for a confrontation and have the timing down to a split second so she doesn't run to the bathroom to destroy evidence first), you have her pull down her pants/skirt/panties, you inspect and do the smell test. If she had sex while out for the night there will be visible redness, visible fluid residue/discharge that will also have a noticeable odor.

Geetar Man

Postby Geetar Man » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:02 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
kwais wrote:
Angrygeopolitically wrote:Um.... powerscore does differentiate between necessary assumption and sufficient assumption.

They call Necessary assumption- assumption questions. And sufficient assumption- justify the conclusion questions.

Manhattan LR > PS LR

Foreal? Do you recommend reading it AFTER you've already read PS?

Geetar Man

Postby Geetar Man » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:04 pm

Jeffort wrote:Interesting lead up to ask about sufficient vs. necessary assumption questions.

Yes, you need to be able to differentiate those question types since the logical criteria for the correct answer choice is different for each of them.

The Powerscore material does differentiate them. Sufficient assumption question are called Justify the Conclusion questions in the LRB.

Regarding your girlfriend and living situation:
Dude, your GF is most likely cheating on you. Since you are living together you should be able to figure it out pretty easily with some simple observation/detective work.

When she comes home late does she avoid you and get into the shower right away? If so, a bad sign.
Alternatively, does she appear to be freshly showered when she shows back up at home late at night? If so, a bad sign.

The next ultimate and very definitive test is a little graphic to describe, so people that are easily disturbed or offended about sex talk should not read the text below this sentence.

When she arrives back home late at night you do the sniff test and a physical inspection immediately when she walks in the door, before she walks any farther than the entry way, before she goes into the bathroom or makes some excuse to go somewhere and avoid you for a while (maybe to change her clothes/panties, wash up, etc.). You get close, sniff around and inspect the pertinent parts of her body. Sex produces very distinctive smells. Also, if she is freshly bathed (meaning she took a shower/bath somewhere else shortly before coming home) you'll be able to tell with a close proximity smell test and body inspection. It's always a major red flag when your live-in girlfriend comes home late at night freshly bathed.

Now, here's the ultimate foolproof test that is a bit graphic to describe and somewhat difficult to get done if she is hostile and uncooperative. Close your eyes sensitive younglings and don't read this next part.

Since you are living together with her it's assumed that you two sleep together and see each other fully naked daily.
So, right when she walks in the door (you have to be awake and prepared for a confrontation and have the timing down to a split second so she doesn't run to the bathroom to destroy evidence first), you have her pull down her pants/skirt/panties, you inspect and do the smell test. If she had sex while out for the night there will be visible redness, visible fluid residue/discharge that will also have a noticeable odor.

HAHAHA Nice write up. Dude, I was totally joking. None of the stated things in my OP were true. I made it all up.
Thanks for the advice though, if I ever run into the situation. It sounds like you're pretty familiar with how to catch someone cheating.

*Edit: Except for the necessary/sufficient question. That was a real question.

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:54 pm

Geetar Man wrote:
HAHAHA Nice write up. Dude, I was totally joking. None of the stated things in my OP were true. I made it all up.
Thanks for the advice though, if I ever run into the situation. It sounds like you're pretty familiar with how to catch someone cheating.

*Edit: Except for the necessary/sufficient question. That was a real question.

Hahaha. It was an intriguing story that caught my attention so I figured I'd share some basics that all guys trying to be in a committed faithful relationship can benefit from knowing. Learned all that stuff during a long term led to living together for a while relationship with an Ex girlfriend.

Ok, back to the LSAT. With sufficient assumption questions the correct answer choice provides a premise that when added to the argument/combined with the premises given in the stimulus guarantees that the conclusion MUST BE TRUE/100% deductively valid rock solid true.

One important thing to pay attention to on those when analyzing the argument is whether or not there is a new element/concept/topic/idea in the conclusion that is not included in the premises. If so, the correct answer choice must include that element (it wont always be in the exact same words since LSAT writers like to paraphrase). Any answer choice that does not include the new element is automatically incorrect. There are many sufficient assumption question where that strategy eliminates multiple answer choices, some where it eliminates up to all four incorrect answers.

Necessary assumption questions are a different breed. The correct answer choice DOES NOT have to guarantee that the conclusion is 100% must be true when added as an additional premise to the argument. It will be something that will substantially weaken if not completely destroy the possibility of the conclusion of the argument having a logical leg to stand on if it is not true (hence the negation strategy).

Some necessary assumption questions of lower difficulty level will present a correct answer choice that when properly negated directly attacks the conclusion itself. However, most of them are high difficulty questions without that configuration. The correct answer choice on difficult necessary assumption questions will present a premise that when negated properly and inserted into the argument as another premise will somehow make the argument as a whole fall apart in terms of trying to establish well logically reasoned conclusion based on the evidence presented.
Last edited by Jeffort on Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kwais

Postby kwais » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:58 pm

Geetar Man wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:
kwais wrote:

Manhattan LR > PS LR

Foreal? Do you recommend reading it AFTER you've already read PS?

Try Manhattan see if it makes sense to you. There is no real reason you can't do Manhattan LR and PS LG. I remember reading PS LR and thinking that they spent more time trying to be different than other companies than they did trying to create a cohesive, orderly strategy.

theadvancededit

Postby theadvancededit » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:20 pm

Jeffort wrote:When she arrives back home late at night you do the sniff test and a physical inspection immediately when she walks in the door, before she walks any farther than the entry way, before she goes into the bathroom or makes some excuse to go somewhere and avoid you for a while (maybe to change her clothes/panties, wash up, etc.). You get close, sniff around and inspect the pertinent parts of her body. Sex produces very distinctive smells. Also, if she is freshly bathed (meaning she took a shower/bath somewhere else shortly before coming home) you'll be able to tell with a close proximity smell test and body inspection. It's always a major red flag when your live-in girlfriend comes home late at night freshly bathed.

Invasive much? Christ, you could just ask.

Although, the sniff test isn't just for guys-with-questionable-ladies: http://www.guyspeak.com/blog/relationsh ... ng-on-you/ ("Smell his fingers. Do they smell like lies?")

Geetar Man

Postby Geetar Man » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:36 pm

theadvancededit wrote:
Jeffort wrote:When she arrives back home late at night you do the sniff test and a physical inspection immediately when she walks in the door, before she walks any farther than the entry way, before she goes into the bathroom or makes some excuse to go somewhere and avoid you for a while (maybe to change her clothes/panties, wash up, etc.). You get close, sniff around and inspect the pertinent parts of her body. Sex produces very distinctive smells. Also, if she is freshly bathed (meaning she took a shower/bath somewhere else shortly before coming home) you'll be able to tell with a close proximity smell test and body inspection. It's always a major red flag when your live-in girlfriend comes home late at night freshly bathed.

Invasive much? Christ, you could just ask.

Although, the sniff test isn't just for guys-with-questionable-ladies: http://www.guyspeak.com/blog/relationsh ... ng-on-you/ ("Smell his fingers. Do they smell like lies?")

HAHAHA FUCKING HILARIOUS. Seriously.

zanda

Postby zanda » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:41 pm

I never knew any lingo, just answered the questions.

Geetar Man

Postby Geetar Man » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:35 pm

zanda wrote:I never knew any lingo, just answered the questions.

LIES!

SchopenhauerFTW

Postby SchopenhauerFTW » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:05 pm

Enjoy DLA Piper!

Geetar Man

Postby Geetar Man » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:08 pm

SchopenhauerFTW wrote:Enjoy DLA Piper!

Please explain what your reasons are for saying this shit.

hfk388479203948

Postby hfk388479203948 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:32 pm

best. thread. ever

bizzybone1313

Postby bizzybone1313 » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:10 am

+++++1111111

RodneyRuxin

Postby RodneyRuxin » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:14 am

Sick revival

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:32 am

hfk388479203948 wrote:best. thread. ever

so is this dowu's new account?

dowu

Postby dowu » Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:58 am

LeDique wrote:

so is this dowu's new account?

NOap/

dowu

Postby dowu » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:07 am

Geetar Man wrote:I know i sure believe it.

ZVBXRPL

Postby ZVBXRPL » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:20 am

This has the potential to be a great Yale 250 (sans a few sentences)... or PS.

dowu

Postby dowu » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:22 pm

bump.

AnonymousAlterEgoC

Postby AnonymousAlterEgoC » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:09 pm

kwais wrote:

Can you explain further? PS's 'justify the conclusion' seems to do all the work that the 'sufficient assumption' does. I know the one hiccup for me was having to realize justify = sufficient when reading Manhattan's LR explanations. However, once one realizes this, what is the issue?

PepperJack

Postby PepperJack » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:25 pm

Clearly, a sufficient assumption. She can also be a secret agent or can also not even exist at all.

If real, check for facebook photos. If she's out with a bunch of other girls on a saturday night, and there's no new facebook pictures, it's more likely she's not really out with girls. I would personally leave if you suspect it, and wouldn't definitely marry her if it wasn't true. It seems not worth the mental anguish, and risk of doing something dumb if you discover she is cheating.

dowu

Postby dowu » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:33 pm

PepperJack wrote:Clearly, a sufficient assumption. She can also be a secret agent or can also not even exist at all.

If real, check for facebook photos. If she's out with a bunch of other girls on a saturday night, and there's no new facebook pictures, it's more likely she's not really out with girls. I would personally leave if you suspect it, and wouldn't definitely marry her if it wasn't true. It seems not worth the mental anguish, and risk of doing something dumb if you discover she is cheating.

:lol:

PepperJack

Postby PepperJack » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:59 pm

camelthing wrote:
kwais wrote:

Can you explain further? PS's 'justify the conclusion' seems to do all the work that the 'sufficient assumption' does. I know the one hiccup for me was having to realize justify = sufficient when reading Manhattan's LR explanations. However, once one realizes this, what is the issue?

The difference is the argument makes no sense if you take a necessary assumption away.

His girlfriend is cheating, because she is careful over her phone and goes out a lot and is secretive doesn't have any necessary assumptions.

He's basically saying: Careful about phone + goes out + secretive -> banging dudes.

You could take out all of these facts, and she could still be banging dudes if she is spreading her legs for dudes to enter into her. Additionally, the argument is flawed because all of the evidence just as easily points to being a drug dealer or serial murderer.

It would be necessary if he said "the only explanation for these behaviors is that she is cheating."

An example of this argument would be - "His girlfriend blows other dudes like they are blue raspberry lollipops. Therefore she must be cheating."

If we take away the premise blowing dudes = cheating then the argument falls so if we had an answer choice that they have an open relationship explicitly authorizing her to blow anybody at any time, there is no argument. Hence, the difference.

dowu

Postby dowu » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:50 pm

Bump

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”