Tips to do LG within 8.45

inmate

Tips to do LG within 8.45

Postby inmate » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:05 am

Please give me some advices to do a LG faster within 8.45 min.

guinness1547

Re: Tips to do LG within 8.45

Postby guinness1547 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:12 am

Practice.

gaud

Postby gaud » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:00 am

guinness1547 wrote:Practice.

It's the truth.

Repeat each game at least 2-3 times. When you're re-doing the games (untimed ofcourse) think about how you could have made those ever so important inferences quicker... maybe a different diagram? maybe connecting formal logic statements? maybe noticing that a certain variable is repeated in multiple rules?

Those are the sorts of things you need to be paying close attention to when you redo the games. Practice and patience. Other posters on here have mentioned trying to create the 'perfect diagram' while redoing the games (one that can be read clearly, no mistakes, small, easy to create) which may be useful as well.

Try and create your own formula for going through the games. See if you can shorten your abbreviations even if they are already short (ie. changing Frank to 'F' instead of writing 'Frank').

I dunno... all i have for now

penguinbrah

Postby penguinbrah » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:03 am

For me, I learned that I actually got quicker when I slowed my mind and body down.

It had to do with complete relaxation and not a worry about the time, writing my diagrams out while being calm and composed. Almost like in a yogic logic game trance.

edit: also i would check answers even after finding the right answer, and this was taking up time. I learned to find the answer, pick it, and go to the next question. Obviously this isn't always best for LR, but it seems to have worked for me on LG

northerrn

Postby northerrn » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:09 am

Don't keep the strict 8:45 rule, some games are harder, some are easier. Learn to do the easy games quickly so that you have more time on harder ones.

glucose101

Postby glucose101 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:17 am

Have a system for setting games up so it frees up mental energy for tough questions.

breadbucket

Postby breadbucket » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:24 am

northerrn wrote:Don't keep the strict 8:45 rule, some games are harder, some are easier. Learn to do the easy games quickly so that you have more time on harder ones.

This

inmate

Postby inmate » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:36 am

Yes, it does not need to be around 8 min, but I wanted some techniques to do them faster. I also get so nervous having a timer next to me. Does anyone get this?

glucose101

Postby glucose101 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:35 am

inmate wrote:Yes, it does not need to be around 8 min, but I wanted some techniques to do them faster. I also get so nervous having a timer next to me. Does anyone get this?

I'm sure some ppl get nervous, but if you don't know how fast you're doing games, you won't know how much more you need/can cut game times. Come test time, doing games (quickly, hopefully) will be natural, and prob need to look at a watch.

gman1978

Postby gman1978 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:17 am

1. Realize that effectively setting up the game is the most important part, even if you burn 3 or even 3.5 minutes with the set up.
2. For most games there are only two or at the most three possible scenarios for how the pieces can be placed. Usually this revolves around figuring out where to place a large piece. For instance, let's say three of the rules of a game are a) "F must be next to G, in either order" b) "I must appear before H" and c) "F must be in position 1 or 7." These rules can be easily combined into two scenarios:

#1 F G _ _ _ _ _ I<H

#2 _ _ _ _ _ G F I<H

And then representing the rest of the rules for the game means making more detailed notes for each scenario. You'll find that this saves a lot of time doing the questions, because when you have a stem that says something like "If F is before I, which of the following can be true?" you immediately know that you're dealing with scenario #1 and just run through the questions.

For what it's worth, I typically get -0 on the LG section (and did so on the real test). But when I started prepping I was constantly running out of time on the fourth game of LG, and usually got somewhere between -5 and -8.
Last edited by gman1978 on Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Perdevise

Postby Perdevise » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:57 am

When I started practicing for Logic Games, I would set the timer for 8:45, and then move on to the next one for another 8:45. This was a mistake; it is far better to try to do a complete section in 35 minutes, because some are easier, some are tougher, and you need practice on section management as soon as you have the basics of diagramming and inferring.

kennethellenparcell

Postby kennethellenparcell » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:17 pm

(1) I think your goal should instead be to finish the games section in less than 35.
(2) Agree with above. Practice A LOT. Do each game multiple times, especially the harder ones. If you are aiming for the perfect games section, I would also advocate proving all the wrong answers are wrong - you will start to see common traps that way.
(3) Do not stick with the strict 8:45 rule. Harder games will absolutely take most people longer than 8:45 to do. Learn which games take less time. Pure sequencing games usually take less time. Grouping too once you get the hang of them. Its the games that are a combination of different types that take a longer time. At least in my experience.
(4) Along with #3, it actually helped me to learn what type of game I was approaching. Each game type has certain elements to it - so that if you recognize the type, you can anticipate what they will be asking you.
(5) Learn to spot situations where you should master the possibilities - or where you draw out every single possibility and crush each question in a very short period of time. Helps if you can do it. Doesn't mean you won't get a perfect games section if you can't.
(6) At the same time, don't get too hung up on initial inferences on test day if they are not coming to you. Learning how to solve games without getting every initial inference helped me a lot. For example, learning to deduce a correct answer choice based on comparing it to previous answers you've selected in the game. Really helps on game day when the adrenaline is pumping and you can't even remember your first name.

tmon

Postby tmon » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:24 pm

inmate wrote:Yes, it does not need to be around 8 min, but I wanted some techniques to do them faster. I also get so nervous having a timer next to me. Does anyone get this?

I realize I'm probably just echoing others here, but it really is practice and not so much "techniques." I HIGHLY recommend doing the plan outlined in the Pithypike thread at the top of this forum--meaning do a ton of games three times and make sure each time you redo one you're more accurate and faster. Easy games (pure sequencing and such) should take more like 6 minutes, and you should be able to limit the hardest games to 10 minutes tops, but obviously shoot for much faster. If you can do that with accuracy, you can -0 LG. When you review your answers, I suggest slowly working through diagramming and every step of your answers so that you completely understand the most efficient set up and how to most efficiently answer every question. The techniques in the LG Bible were plenty fine for me, but many people have also had success with Manhattan's LG Guide as well. Hope that helps.

Simplicity

Postby Simplicity » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:59 pm

Pretty much what everyone else has said: repetition - find the techniques that work best for you and just do a shit ton of games.

Although, something I've noticed, the techniques taught in the Bible and prep classes (those that I have experience with) suck, IMO. They just don't work for me. Also, I think they unnecessarily waste a lot of time. If you are able to understand the basic logic underlying each game, you will be fine whatever your techniques are. Don't feel that you have to rigidly adhere to the techniques taught in the prep books and prep classes.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”