I am so FREAKING happy now. What a confidence BOOSTER-edited

notaznguy

I am so FREAKING happy now. What a confidence BOOSTER-edited

Postby notaznguy » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:33 pm

I'm on winter break and am studying for the Feb. LSAT. Today I PT'ed my highest ever at 163 on PT 41. I would have gotten a 166 but I missed 4 on the last game in the LG section because it was a circular/spoke diagram game, which I never ever practiced. I still have all of December and January to study and I'm hoping for a 167 but DAMN what a huge confidence booster considering my diagnostic at the beginning of summer was a 138. Hell yeah. Just wanted to post this on TLS because nobody else I know cares lol

Edit: Scroll toward bottom to see how I did on PT 48, which is 2 days after I took PT 41.
Last edited by notaznguy on Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: I am so FREAKING happy now. What a confidence BOOSTER.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:40 pm

Great, you can now attend the preftigious University of Illinois.

notaznguy

Postby notaznguy » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:41 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Great, you can now attend the preftigious University of Illinois.

I know right?! Better than La Verne College of the Law! Woo hoo!

gaud

Postby gaud » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:42 pm

not to be a dick.. but there are some differences btwn PT 41 and the more recent tests to take into consideration..

otherwise, congrats! keep up the good work

notaznguy

Postby notaznguy » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:09 pm

gaud wrote:not to be a dick.. but there are some differences btwn PT 41 and the more recent tests to take into consideration..

Shit, I believe you're right. I just searched some of the threads and everyone is talking about riding the "high" on the 40s. Ah, FML lol. How much more difficult are the 50s and 60s? What gets substantially harder?

LexLeon

Postby LexLeon » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:11 pm

Congratulations! More than a month of solid study time can make a difference of up to ten additional points. There's no doubt that you can break 170. Aim at least that high--and do not let anyone tell you that this is unrealistic or that your diagnostic is evidence of an inherent limitation on this test. Keep going my friend; you've got a Yale worthy LSAT score potential.

gaud

Postby gaud » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:15 pm

notaznguy wrote:
gaud wrote:not to be a dick.. but there are some differences btwn PT 41 and the more recent tests to take into consideration..

Shit, I believe you're right. I just searched some of the threads and everyone is talking about riding the "high" on the 40s. Ah, FML lol. How much more difficult are the 50s and 60s? What gets substantially harder?

they aren't too different from the tests in the 40's so I wouldn't be too worried or nervous or anything like that.

Found this in an old thread... i kinda like it:

Older tests are qualitatively different. Depending on who you are, these changes might make them easier or harder.
Modern tests compared to old tests.
Modern tests...
LG: tend to be less susceptible to by-the-book techniques; more complex sequencing games; more grouping games
LR: have more trap answers; more unusual question stems
RC: have denser passages; more detail questions; more main idea questions and analogy questions - and the new RC passage type
Definitely concentrate on modern material over the last month.

that pretty much sums it up for me... the test is still roughly the same but just make sure as you near your test date that you are using the more recent tests

notaznguy

Postby notaznguy » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:19 pm

gaud wrote:
notaznguy wrote:

they aren't too different from the tests in the 40's so I wouldn't be too worried or nervous or anything like that.

Found this in an old thread... i kinda like it:

Older tests are qualitatively different. Depending on who you are, these changes might make them easier or harder.
Modern tests compared to old tests.
Modern tests...
LG: tend to be less susceptible to by-the-book techniques; more complex sequencing games; more grouping games
LR: have more trap answers; more unusual question stems
RC: have denser passages; more detail questions; more main idea questions and analogy questions - and the new RC passage type
Definitely concentrate on modern material over the last month.

that pretty much sums it up for me... the test is still roughly the same but just make sure as you near your test date that you are using the more recent tests

Sounds good. I'm doing 2 PTs a week over 4 weeks with review and drills inbetween each exam. I will start on the 50s for my next 3 PTs and then spend my last 6 or so on modern ones.

gman1978

Postby gman1978 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:29 pm

congrats! keep it up! you're on the way to the promised land!

3v3ryth1ng

Postby 3v3ryth1ng » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:06 pm

notaznguy wrote:I'm on winter break and am studying for the Feb. LSAT. Today I PT'ed my highest ever at 163 on PT 41. I would have gotten a 166 but I missed 4 on the last game in the LG section because it was a circular/spoke diagram game, which I never ever practiced. I still have all of December and January to study and I'm hoping for a 167 but DAMN what a huge confidence booster considering my diagnostic at the beginning of summer was a 138. Hell yeah. Just wanted to post this on TLS because nobody else I know cares lol

God some of those comments missed the mark. I remember the first time I broke 160. Coming up is something these "I'm pissed about my 169" people won't ever understand. It's not just a great feeling; it's a beautiful thing.

Congratulations! You're on your way to achieving something most people never do, that others take for granted! Keep it up :)

john1990

Postby john1990 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:06 pm

Congrats, keep it up. Focus on your weak spots and aim for the 170s

notaznguy

Postby notaznguy » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:42 am

Thanks guys. I'll take a test in the 50s on Saturday and see what happens. If I can repeat or do better, it'll be LEGIT confidence and not this easy peezy PT 40s high wave crap haha

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:28 am

Congrats!

mickeyD

Postby mickeyD » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:21 pm

Congrats! As someone who improved 20 points from his diagnostic, I know how good the improvement feels. But remember, improvement doesn't come from taking more and more tests. You need to REVIEW. Open up that 163 and look through every single question, both right and wrong. Go to the LR questions that you debated between 2 answers and force yourself to understand exactly why one is right and why one is wrong. Try to think about what made you think the wrong answer is right. Take notes on the issues that are tripping you up.

I went from a 154 to a 174 on the real thing. Huge improvements are possible, but only if you do it the right way. Don't fall into the trap of taking test after test. Review and then drill your face off for weeks. Don't take another test until you feel like you've practiced so much that you're guaranteed to get a better score. Good luck!

3v3ryth1ng

Postby 3v3ryth1ng » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:45 pm

mickeyD wrote:Congrats! As someone who improved 20 points from his diagnostic, I know how good the improvement feels. But remember, improvement doesn't come from taking more and more tests. You need to REVIEW. Open up that 163 and look through every single question, both right and wrong. Go to the LR questions that you debated between 2 answers and force yourself to understand exactly why one is right and why one is wrong. Try to think about what made you think the wrong answer is right. Take notes on the issues that are tripping you up.

I went from a 154 to a 174 on the real thing. Huge improvements are possible, but only if you do it the right way. Don't fall into the trap of taking test after test. Review and then drill your face off for weeks. Don't take another test until you feel like you've practiced so much that you're guaranteed to get a better score. Good luck!

Wow! Congrats to you too man! I love hearing about this kind of stuff :)

tng11

Postby tng11 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:26 am

Last edited by tng11 on Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

notaznguy

Postby notaznguy » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:09 pm

Woo hoo! Guys I don't think it was a fluke. I took PT 48 today (5 timed sections, 3rd one being experimental) and I got a 165. Pretty good. Hope I can get into the 170s soon though...

I must admit, I really did feel like shit taking this exam. I only had 2 days rest since taking PT 41 so I kinda half assed it on the experimental section since I consciously knew it was experimental (can't help it though...). I also took the test in the afternoon at 12 PM instead of 10 AM. I did feel that LR 1 was especially hard though and I almost didn't finish the RC section. I guessed on 1 of the questions. My scores were:

LR: -4
LG: -2
RC: -6
LR: -3

desiballa21

Re: I am so FREAKING happy now. What a confidence BOOSTER-edited

Postby desiballa21 » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:51 pm

This thread made me smile. Genuinely very happy for you and hope you increase until you hit your goals!

DyingDeclaration

Postby DyingDeclaration » Sat Dec 17, 2011 10:25 pm

Fantastic work. That's a great jump; keep up the excellent practice and you'll be one hell of a contender come February.

willwash

Postby willwash » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:38 am

Congratulations OP. Your next goal is that coveted 170+ mark. Don't settle for mid 160s as a goal (when you're already there!) with this much time left to prep before the test. You can do it.

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:42 pm

Congrats notaznguy,

You've been working on improving your score range for a long time. I'm glad to hear that you have made some significant breakthroughs/improvements.

Just as a friendly reminder: Stay honest when taking timed practice tests down to every single detail. The second 35 minutes expires, that's it for the section, don't give yourself a few extra seconds to finish a problem or bubble in some answers. Only one 15 minute break after section three, no brief breaks between other sections, not even 30 seconds or a minute since that's the way it will be on test day. "Pencils down, stop working on section X, turn the page to section X+1, GO."

Also, don't use scratch paper, and certainly use an official bubble sheet for your answers. You also should transition yourself to taking timed practice tests at the time in the morning the test typically starts (9:15am-10am typically) and take them in an environment away from home that you don't have control over.

One thing I've had students do for timed practice tests close to test day is recruit/bribe a friend to come over and pound on the door at the time you'll need to wake up to get to the test center on time and then be your proctor for the day.

It's hardcore.

The friends job is to play drill sergeant and proctor. That includes the friend putting you through a bunch of time consuming activities before letting you start taking the test. After he/she makes sure you are awake on time to get your morning routine done and have the necessary items in a ziplock bag, you travel to a destination of his/her choice where you will take the test. Must arrive at that destination before 8:30am. Then, once settled in and at a table/desk the friend kills at least 30 minutes reading you instructions and/or whatever nonsense to waste time before handing you the test and answer sheet and gives you permission to start section one.

Gail

Postby Gail » Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:48 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Great, you can now attend the preftigious University of Illinois.

Wow. You're quite the dick.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:34 pm

Gail wrote:

Wow. You're quite the dick.

How dare you, I'm an alumnus.

jeremydc

Postby jeremydc » Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:36 pm

Awesome man, keep up the good work. Don't listen to the negative posts.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”