June or September LSAT? (extra studying vs. timing) Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
akotran

New

June or September LSAT? (extra studying vs. timing)

Post by akotran » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:19 am

I'm planning on jumping on the next admission cycle (next fall) and have everything going for me other than the LSAT. I have not taken a single practice test, but have done a little studying and plan to study 10 hours a week over the next quarter (I'll be in DC for an internship so that might end up being less if things are hectic).

I'm conflicted as to whether I should shoot for the June LSAT and sign up for a Powerscore class that starts in April or of I should spend my summer working part time and studying hard-core. During the spring, I will still be in class and even with a light course load it will still be tough to get meaningful studying in.

Obviously, taking three full months of dedicated studying would be great, but with that benefit would come the detriment of having the September LSAT be my last chance to get a good score and send in timely applications.

I know that there is a December LSAT, but if it takes three weeks to get my scores, that means if I had to retake in December I would not have my score ready until the end of the month and by then it will be too late to apply ED to Michigan (which I am definitely planning on). I don't want to get stuck waiting an extra year because I mess up my September LSAT.

What do you guys think? Buckle down for the next 5 months as best I can and go for the June LSAT, or hedge my bets that the extra three months of hard-core studying will ultimately result in a higher score, risk be damned?

T00L

Silver

Re: June or September LSAT? (extra studying vs. timing)

Post by T00L » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:23 am

For the record, there is no September LSAT. There is one in October, usually during the first or second week....

Take June, then see how you feel. At the very worst you can cancel your score.

akotran

New

Post by akotran » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:26 am

Do you think by the time I've done 30 practice tests I will have a good idea if I should cancel or not?

T00L

Silver

Post by T00L » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:35 am

I guess that really depends on how you study and how quickly you can gauge yourself. I could get a good feel for myself within 10 PTs. After that, I only really raised my PT scores 1-2 points on average no matter how many tests I took.

All I'm saying is that it can't possibly hurt to sign up for the June test and get practicing. If it isn't going well, then you can opt out. If you start getting a good feel for the test and think you can do well within your range of ability, then take it. If you feel like you flopped on the day, then cancel. If you don't cancel, and your score is lower than expected, then you have another chance to do better. (I had an 11pt increase, June to Oct, and my cycle is playing out as if my first score never happened).

Take June.

180asBreath

Bronze

Post by 180asBreath » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:28 pm

T00L wrote:For the record, in most years - there is no September LSAT. It is usually during the first or second week of October....

Take June, then see how you feel. At the very worst you can cancel your score.
Fixed your post.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

fashiongirl

Bronze

Post by fashiongirl » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:47 pm

Start studying as soon as you can. Try to aim for June so you can apply earlier.

akotran

New

Post by akotran » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:49 pm

I'm just worried because if I take in June I will not have had any months of pure study time. It will be a push to do 4 hours a day 4 times a week while I'm in school and working part time...

hotchkiss1

New

Post by hotchkiss1 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:49 am

akotran wrote:I'm just worried because if I take in June I will not have had any months of pure study time. It will be a push to do 4 hours a day 4 times a week while I'm in school and working part time...
You should quit the job, and I don't think you make 200$ a hour, so it's better to have a score. Spend at least 20 hours a week if you are taking the June test, that's about the average time going through 3 tests for normal people.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”