Powerscore...

clarified_butter

Powerscore...

Postby clarified_butter » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:28 pm

I am currently reading through the PS Bibles (luckily I didn't pay for them--I won them in a contest)...I am finding them to be extremely boring and I feel like they tend to over complicate things. I just feel like I should just stop wasting my time reading them and just start using LSAC SuperPrep instead.

Does anyone else feel the same way? And what do 170+ LSAT scorers think of the PS Bibles? Thanks.
Last edited by clarified_butter on Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cleareyesfullheart

Re: Powerscore...

Postby cleareyesfullheart » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:30 pm

I think that the logic games bible was extremely useful, I also have the logical reasoning one, but I do no think it helped and would not suggest reading through it. I would for sure go through the logic games one though, the strategies really do make them a lot easier/more manageable.

clarified_butter

Postby clarified_butter » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:00 pm

cleareyesfullheart wrote:I think that the logic games bible was extremely useful, I also have the logical reasoning one, but I do no think it helped and would not suggest reading through it. I would for sure go through the logic games one though, the strategies really do make them a lot easier/more manageable.

What else did you use then? I am thinking about sticking with SuperPrep and all official old LSAT's.

Geetar Man

Postby Geetar Man » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:12 pm

clarified_butter wrote:
cleareyesfullheart wrote:I think that the logic games bible was extremely useful, I also have the logical reasoning one, but I do no think it helped and would not suggest reading through it. I would for sure go through the logic games one though, the strategies really do make them a lot easier/more manageable.

What else did you use then? I am thinking about sticking with SuperPrep and all official old LSAT's.

The LRB gives guidelines and helps with understanding what the questions are asking for and what the answer needs to do to be the right answer. If I were you, I would at least read the LRB to get a familiar basis on the questions. Once you have this basis, you can go from there and manipulate the strategies in the book to any strategies you might pick up and find yourself being successful with.

As for the LGB, I highly recommend it for giving one efficient ways to diagram the games. Once you have learned to diagram each game type and can recognize the game types on the test, its all a matter of drilling from that point.

In short, don't see the LRB as a book with definite procedures; read the book with the thought that it gives helpful guidelines, because that's basically what it is.

As for the old LSATs, I would do a lot of untimed sections until youre getting over 90% of them right AT LEAST, and then focus on timing. This might make your prep longer, but I truly believe in quality over quantity with regard to studying for the LSAT. HTH

john1990

Postby john1990 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:49 pm

clarified_butter wrote:I am currently reading through the PS Bibles (luckily I didn't pay for them--I won them in a contest)...I am finding them to be extremely boring and I feel like they tend to over complicate things. I just feel like I should just stop wasting my time reading them and just start using LSAC SuperPrep instead.

Does anyone else feel the same way? And what do 170+ LSAT scorers think of the PS Bibles? Thanks.

The Reading comprehension bible was not extremely helpful; half of the book is just detailed solutions. However, the other books are very good IMO, and well written. I thought they were much better than any other text book i had to read for school. The LGB is a must. The LRB is also very good, especially for parallel question types.

gaud

Postby gaud » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:51 pm

LRB and LGB are great books... learn to love them

Manhattan has the best RC guide I've personally come across

clarified_butter

Postby clarified_butter » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:37 pm

john1990 wrote:The Reading comprehension bible was not extremely helpful

I heard this before as well

clarified_butter

Postby clarified_butter » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:39 pm

gaud wrote:LRB and LGB are great books... learn to love them

This is a very, very hard thing to do. The books are 400+ pages of misery. I think they are very poorly written...sorry, but that's my opinion.

Here is my other question: Did they really need to make these books that long? I'm sure they could have made their point in less than 100 pages.

hotspur

Postby hotspur » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:50 pm

clarified_butter wrote:

This is a very, very hard thing to do. The books are 400+ pages of misery. I think they are very poorly written...sorry, but that's my opinion.

Here is my other question: Did they really need to make these books that long? I'm sure they could have made their point in less than 100 pages.

LG Bible helped me out quite a bit. I felt like the writing was coherent enough to get the points across.

Luckily, after getting their points across they provided me with tons of practice. Could have been too much practice, but I never really questioned the length after the -0 on game day.

clarified_butter

Postby clarified_butter » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:39 am

hotspur wrote:
clarified_butter wrote:

LG Bible helped me out quite a bit. I felt like the writing was coherent enough to get the points across.

Luckily, after getting their points across they provided me with tons of practice. Could have been too much practice, but I never really questioned the length after the -0 on game day.

I will look more closely at the LG Bible...it seems most people find that more helpful. What else did you use for prep?

hotspur

Postby hotspur » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:50 am

I used LG Bible and about 20 PTs. I did considerably better on LG than RC and LR though. I attribute this more to burnout than lack of a study aid.

kennethellenparcell

Postby kennethellenparcell » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:08 pm

On the Powerscore LG bible - yes, it is helpful. However, I think the test is moving towards games that you can attack easier if you learn to draw out more hypotheticals quickly. I think the LG bible relies too much on initial inferences. I would recommend Ace the LSAT Logic Games - it'll teach you the hypothetical-driven approach more. Also, while the games are not real I think they are actually harder than the real ones. I would recommend Ace the LSAT only after you've become fairly familiar with games though. TLS1776 recommended this book and he's a 180er. I actually worked my way up from a 167 to a 177 in part due to learning the hypo approach.

On the Powerscore LR bible - it contains useful concepts, especially because it breaks down question type and how to approach each one. Internalizing these processes will help you a great deal. But it's organized in a way that does not lead to easily digesting the material without a prepcourse. I think you should probably read through it a couple of times unless you're already amazing at LR. In that case, it probably won't help you that much.

RC bible is terrible. I also read through the Manhattan one - it's the best one out there I've seen - but it's not even that great. RC is a hard beast to tame because learning to excel at it is such an individual process.

Also, I have heard test prep people say the tests in Superprep are a waste of your time unless you've gone through ALL of the other preptests. Older preptests are good for reviewing - but make sure you use newer material for simulating actually taking the test.

clarified_butter

Postby clarified_butter » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:29 pm

hotspur wrote:I used LG Bible and about 20 PTs. I did considerably better on LG than RC and LR though. I attribute this more to burnout than lack of a study aid.

You said you burned out...May I ask, how long did you study for?

hotspur

Postby hotspur » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:37 pm

I just crammed about 2 months worth of studying into one month. I was taking a PT every day when I should have relaxed. There's a ton of stuff on these forums about studying for the test but I think the most important advice is to keep yourself chill, especially on game day.

clarified_butter

Postby clarified_butter » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:36 pm

hotspur wrote:I think the most important advice is to keep yourself chill, especially on game day.

I think this is very true!

clarified_butter

Postby clarified_butter » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:45 pm

kennethellenparcell wrote:On the Powerscore LR bible - it contains useful concepts, especially because it breaks down question type and how to approach each one. Internalizing these processes will help you a great deal. But it's organized in a way that does not lead to easily digesting the material without a prepcourse.

It is definitely not organized in an easy way to understand...that's probably why they try to push people to take the course. There are also A LOT of typos in these books! Who was their proof-reader?? ;)

john1990

Postby john1990 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:24 pm

kennethellenparcell wrote:RC bible is terrible. I also read through the Manhattan one - it's the best one out there I've seen - but it's not even that great. RC is a hard beast to tame because learning to excel at it is such an individual process.

Is this the book that you are referencing?
http://www.amazon.com/Manhattan-Reading ... 1935707124

d0rklord

Postby d0rklord » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:33 pm

I had the exact same problem tbh... I also don't like the font that much, it makes my head hurt (obviously this wont be the case for everyone)

I switched to Manhattan. I think the explanations/wording are much more "reader friendly," and they really cut to the chase...

Have you considered going to a local bookstore and just reading a chapter out of Manhattan?

gaud

Postby gaud » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:53 am

john1990 wrote:

kennethellenparcell wrote:RC bible is terrible. I also read through the Manhattan one - it's the best one out there I've seen - but it's not even that great. RC is a hard beast to tame because learning to excel at it is such an individual process.

Is this the book that you are referencing?
http://www.amazon.com/Manhattan-Reading ... 1935707124

Yes it is.

willwash

Postby willwash » Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:17 am

The powerscore books were too expensive for me. I don't really use a book for LG or RC anyway, I've kind of developed my own system after what could only be considered an unhealthy amount of prep

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”