After reviewing wrong answers in LR .... Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
naillsat

Bronze

After reviewing wrong answers in LR ....

Post by naillsat » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:48 am

After reviewing the questions I answered wrong, I found that the wrong answers are so obviously wrong, for example, the modifier word "usually" in question stem to "all" in the answers that I chose wrong. guys, how to improve on this? :roll:

gaud

Platinum

Re: After reviewing wrong answers in LR ....

Post by gaud » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:50 am

Try and think about what you are reading as if it's coming from the mouth of an opponent. Helped me focus a bit more on nuances like those.

Taking a 5-hour energy or a red bull also helped me stay focused on the details

Are the errors due to a lack of focus and/or endurance?

EDIT: Added the question

naillsat

Bronze

Post by naillsat » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:04 am

gaud wrote:Try and think about what you are reading as if it's coming from the mouth of an opponent. Helped me focus a bit more on nuances like those.

I think errors are more due to my reading - I kinda scan (fast) the answers and may miss some important modifier words. In addition, I do the PTs mostly at evenings (after work), so the errors may be due to lack of focus/endurance. Maybe, I will try to slow down my reading a bit.

Geetar Man

Silver

Post by Geetar Man » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:50 am

naillsat wrote:
gaud wrote:Try and think about what you are reading as if it's coming from the mouth of an opponent. Helped me focus a bit more on nuances like those.

I think errors are more due to my reading - I kinda scan (fast) the answers and may miss some important modifier words. In addition, I do the PTs mostly at evenings (after work), so the errors may be due to lack of focus/endurance. Maybe, I will try to slow down my reading a bit.
That's exactly what you need to do.
Also, during practice, circle modifier words in the stimulus and in the answer choices. That way you can match them to make sure the appropriate answer is chosen.

You won't have to do this during the test or further into your prep, because doing this will teach yourself to pay attention to these words. These modifier words can usually help to eliminate a few answer choices.
HTH.

ExcelBaller

New

Post by ExcelBaller » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:05 pm

Both the LR Bible and Manhattan LR Guide cover the modifier words thoroughly. I think LRB uses a ladder analogy like "All - Most - Some - None" and Manhattan LR has a matrix that you can look over. Also +1 to redbull helping you focus. I drank them while doing prep and used them on the real test and didn't get fatigued. If you use em on the test, just pour them in water bottle and chug during the break, but WARNING the top will fly off your bottle when you release the carbonation!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:31 pm

Geetar Man wrote: That's exactly what you need to do.
Also, during practice, circle modifier words in the stimulus and in the answer choices. That way you can match them to make sure the appropriate answer is chosen.

You won't have to do this during the test or further into your prep, because doing this will teach yourself to pay attention to these words. These modifier words can usually help to eliminate a few answer choices.
HTH.
Great advice. It's funny how quickly your brain will adapt to picking up the small, important words after circling them for a little while.

I always do this drill with my class: I have them read a sentence, and then I read it after them.

Class: "Mitochondrial DNA can help geneticists trace matrilineal lines."
Me: "Mitochondrial DNA CAN help geneticists trace matrilineal lines."

When you first start prepping for the LSAT, you think nouns are important. On the LSAT, it's all about those little words with logical force. Nouns are essentially place-holders.

Geetar Man

Silver

Post by Geetar Man » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:04 pm

bp shinners wrote:
Geetar Man wrote: That's exactly what you need to do.

HTH.
Great advice. It's funny how quickly your brain will adapt to picking up the small, important words after circling them for a little while.

I always do this drill with my class: I have them read a sentence, and then I read it after them.

Class: "Mitochondrial DNA can help geneticists trace matrilineal lines."
Me: "Mitochondrial DNA CAN help geneticists trace matrilineal lines."

When you first start prepping for the LSAT, you think nouns are important. On the LSAT, it's all about those little words with logical force. Nouns are essentially place-holders.
Thanks! It's the little things that you pick up on after you study for so long and are on TLS for a while.

The OP needs to slow down and understand exactly what the question is asking for and what the answer choice needs to fulfill. Slowing down and recognizing the modifier words will help in more ways than one would imagine.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”