How to improve Logic Reasoning?? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Blub88

New

How to improve Logic Reasoning??

Post by Blub88 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:50 pm

I usually get -9 or - 14 in total on Logic Reasoning. I've read the logic reasoning bible but it has not helped too much. My usual approach is to review questions that I get wrong on preptests. Anyway, I'm going through the Manhattan LR book now and doing more drills by type. I'm wondering if people have any practice methods that really helped them improve? One of my issues is also timing. I usually have 1 - 2 questions that I have to blindly guess. How do you guys get to the point that you have ~ 5 min go over your answers (amazingg)? Thanks for the help!

Jasper21

New

Re: How to improve Logic Reasoning??

Post by Jasper21 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:57 pm

Predict the answer. Close off the answers and force yourself to predict the correct answer so that you have an idea of what the correct will/should be. This is especially true for assumption, flaw, main point, paradox, an ocassionaly true for strengthen/weaken and inference

EarlCat

Silver

Post by EarlCat » Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:58 am

Review the questions you got right just as thoroughly as the ones you got wrong.

MellowMantis

New

Post by MellowMantis » Sat Dec 10, 2011 2:05 am

I have found that repetition prepares you best so that when you are presented with a new question you are familiar with all the logic errors / argument styles as most are re-used.
Last edited by MellowMantis on Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr.Binks

Silver

Post by Mr.Binks » Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:18 pm

Personally, I found a huge increase in my logical reasoning by drilling a lot, and going over each one that I missed and/or had difficulty with.

I made a word document to keep track that indicated the question type, my answer, the correct answer, why each was right and wrong, and how to avoid making the same mistake next time.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

3v3ryth1ng

Bronze

Post by 3v3ryth1ng » Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:52 pm

Blub88 wrote:I usually get -9 or - 14 in total on Logic Reasoning. I've read the logic reasoning bible but it has not helped too much. My usual approach is to review questions that I get wrong on preptests. Anyway, I'm going through the Manhattan LR book now and doing more drills by type. I'm wondering if people have any practice methods that really helped them improve? One of my issues is also timing. I usually have 1 - 2 questions that I have to blindly guess. How do you guys get to the point that you have ~ 5 min go over your answers (amazingg)? Thanks for the help!
1) Are you missing the questions because did not know or misunderstood? If, so using a prep book or course is useful. Study to the point that you know all the question types (there's not too many), can identify and question type by the question stem, and you can get 99% of questions right if you're not timed.

2) Now it's time to practice LR sections, and this is where I can help you most because it's actually the point where I got stuck before:

a) Read the stimulus first. A lot of prep companies advocate reading the stem first. While it's essential to know the question types thoroughly (it changes the way you answer), I found that just reading the stimulus first was more beneficial for a few reasons. Almost all the questions require you to fully comprehend what you're reading, so I found that if I don't have the added pressure of looking for something other than the argument itself, I could read the stimulus faster and more accurately. This leads to the next thing I will say...

b) Recognize patterns in the phrasing of the stimulus. Recognize when an argument is flawed and why it's flawed immediately. Recognize assumptions. Recognize conclusions as opposed to sets of facts. The LSAT basically reuses a lot of ideas. Sometimes I just spotted the flaw immediately, glanced at the stem to see if it was asking about a flaw, then immediately went to the correct answer choice. By doing this, I could confidently answer some questions in 15-20 seconds. Those questions are where you want to save time. That leads to my last piece of advice...

c) Set timing goals. Do the first 10 in 10 minutes is the most popular strategy because the earliest problems have historically been easier, although I heard this latest LSAT had a greater variety of LR difficulty in the first 10 specifically. In any case, you want to have around 10+ minutes for the last 5. If those last 5 are easy (which they definitely can be), you will have a few minutes to check over answers you weren't 100% sure of (you should be marking these- I used a star. I used "WTF?" for the occasional question I was stumped on). Practice with a wristwatch, and when you do full tests, make sure you can quickly and accurately gauge time using the watch.

3) As always, review your wrong answers, and know why they were right or wrong.

There's really not much more to it that that. Practicing will make you quicker, but don't practice for speed unless your accuracy is high. Also, make sure you're right mentally. Don't burn yourself out, and don't practice when you're tired. Get sleep, get nutrition, and don't start an argument with your significant other before you practice.

citygirl000

Bronze

Post by citygirl000 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:36 pm

Get the LR by type book from Cambridge and do those. Understanding and drilling types really helped me. Also check out Dave at velocity LSAT -he has some free videos you can watch

Blub88

New

Post by Blub88 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:23 pm

Thanks everyone for all the helpful advice! Will put these recommendations into practice.
3v3ryth1ng wrote:I used "WTF?" for the occasional question I was stumped on
MEEE TOO. :D

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”