diagram or not diagram formal logic, conditional stat in LR

adam.123

diagram or not diagram formal logic, conditional stat in LR

Postby adam.123 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:16 pm

There are maybe 2 to 4 question on LR that requires understanding of formal logic, conditional statement. Especially, when statements are linked to other statements with words such as All, Most,Some.
Would you recommend diagramming this relationship as show in power score LR book, when taking test? Or would you just read it and comprehend it. it might seems that diagramming take seconds=time. What worked for you? diagram or not diagram in your experience?

SanDiegoJake

Re: diagram or not diagram formal logic, conditional stat in LR

Postby SanDiegoJake » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:08 pm

Diagram them. Generally, these include conditional statements and often hinge on the contrapositive. So diagramming these few questions out 1) doesn't take as much time as you think and 2) helps you understand exactly what you're looking for in the credited response.

Mr.Binks

Postby Mr.Binks » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:06 am

Personally, I like to diagram them, as well as the answer choices (time permitting, of course). If you diagram and link all of the conditional statements together in the stimulus and diagram the answer choices, it helps substantially in finding out why which answers are incorrect.

I sometimes struggle with the more lengthy formal logic stimuli that have several conditional statements, and I find they are exponentially easier if I diagram everything out and link them together.

ibopm

Postby ibopm » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:16 am

Try it out. For some people, it's faster for them to just absorb it and work from there. For others (or maybe the question is really hard), you might have to draw it out. If after you read the stimulus it seems pretty damn hard, then by all means draw it. And after some practice, maybe you won't need to draw anymore.

hotchkiss1

Postby hotchkiss1 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:21 am

SanDiegoJake wrote:Diagram them. Generally, these include conditional statements and often hinge on the contrapositive. So diagramming these few questions out 1) doesn't take as much time as you think and 2) helps you understand exactly what you're looking for in the credited response.

Ask yourself this, do you figure out the LG quickly? If not, then do the diagram thing, but you seriously need ot practice this, if it takes 30 seconds each, and you have three for each section, which will be the average, that's 90s you can spend on checking everything elase => a few more points for you. :mrgreen: That's 30s on top of just doing the problem.

breadbucket

Postby breadbucket » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:43 am

Only diagram if you know that a diagram means you will get the answer correct. If drawing a diagram is no more likely to help you than say "comprehending" it, then do not draw one because it will only waste time. Additionally, if you draw the diagram wrong, you will cause additional problems because you will be working off a faulty paradigm.

barneytrouble

Postby barneytrouble » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:02 am

If you have time at the end of a section then I would say to diagram. When you don't have time to do this I think it is wise to test each answer choice against the stimulus. They work kind of similar to "principle" questions and you can quickly get rid of bad answers.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:50 pm

Also, I would recommend always diagramming the quantifier combination questions (some, most, all statements). It's a lot easier to combine them properly on paper than on your head. I know plenty of people who work with the formal logic enough that it 'clicks' and they can diagram in their heads. I don't know many people who have reached the point where the quantifiers click, reliably.

hotchkiss1

Postby hotchkiss1 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:28 pm

bp shinners wrote:Also, I would recommend always diagramming the quantifier combination questions (some, most, all statements). It's a lot easier to combine them properly on paper than on your head. I know plenty of people who work with the formal logic enough that it 'clicks' and they can diagram in their heads. I don't know many people who have reached the point where the quantifiers click, reliably.

Everyone wants a nice score, and six diagrams from 2 sections is a lot of points. But if someone thinks diagram is neccessary without think about it first, you will miss some tricky questions anyway. It is a good tool to figureout the problems after the test/ thinking about your pt errors, but what is in your head tells which buble to fill. "Quatifers" are easy to keep in mind, think of it as percentage facts, numbers, 1 out of 100... Diagram for LG, not LR problems if you don't have to.
It's much better if you skip a tricky problem and do it in the end, diagram or not.

adam.123

Postby adam.123 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:09 pm

Thanks everyone.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”