Dec. '11 LSAT - Logical Reasoning Frustrations

SplitLife
Posts: 118
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:54 pm

Dec. '11 LSAT - Logical Reasoning Frustrations

Postby SplitLife » Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:10 pm

I'm not sure if this has been talked about, but for all those who took this last LSAT, were any of you annoyed/apprehensive about the way your LSAC answer sheet looked while you were handing it in to your proctor, specifically your LR sections?

I had: LR - Games - LR -- LR - RC.

I maneuvered through the first section LR pretty smoothly and had a few minutes left at the end (a rarity for me), but I felt good, didn't think I overlooked or rushed anything.
Then the next LR, (section 3), the last page made me feel like the lobes of my brain were shifting...the back to back to back (to back?) assumption questions really drained me. I recall having developed a profound hatred for Iguanas for some reason as I tried to figure out if I had flipped the wrong switches or not. I'm confident this section was my experimental section (26 questions).

The third LR (section 4) is what my score is dependent on. I know I probably went -1 to -3 on the first LR, but this section is worrying me. Not because it was extraordinarily difficult, but because before I flipped to the last page, the last four questions on the previous page (the 2nd page of two-fold page before the finale) took up a lot of my time. The questions didn't seem deathly difficult, but I did end up reading over all of these 4 questions at least twice each, and I went into the last page not liking at all the way my responses looked, not because of the wording of the answers, but more because of the letters they represented.

Did anyone else have a similar experience as mine?

redsoxfaan3
Posts: 52
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:54 am

Re: Dec. '11 LSAT - Logical Reasoning Frustrations

Postby redsoxfaan3 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:49 pm

For some reason, the overall feel for the LR seemed peculiar for the Dec '11 test to me. I had LR LG LR LR RC. Having taking nearly 40 different PTs, I can say that the December test felt awkward and I was not able to develop a nice flow. I have heard others mention that for this test, the question difficulty was not generally arranged from easiest-hardest and included some fairly nasty questions in the beginning, middle, and end of the sections. Also, in at least one of the LR sections, I felt that the last 4-6 questions were very lengthy, i.e. "Which of the following exhibits a similar reasoning pattern..." If you did not budget enough time at the end, it is likely that you ran into some timing issues for a few of the sections.

I feel a similar trepidation about my score, especially due to the LR questions. It seems to all depend on if your educated guesses went the right way more often than not :/

greenleaf801
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:36 pm

Re: Dec. '11 LSAT - Logical Reasoning Frustrations

Postby greenleaf801 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:29 pm

I felt the same way - for me the LR usually has some flow to it, and usually I feel like there is a pattern to how the testing goes. I had LR LG LR LR RC as well and normally I feel like the LR is a great way for me to get focused on reading for the RC section. However the 3 LR sections tired me out. I had two sections (of which I still cannot verify any as experimental or not) that more than a few "order of reasoning most similar to" questions that literally took up half a page. Those are the reason the test is such a blur for me. During practice I can finish LR sections within 30 mins, and during difficult sections I still have 1 minute or 2 to spare. During the test I really found the last 2 pages dense - even if the question was direct it was like wading through mud. The wording was very clunky for many questions, which rendered the question topics before them unmemorable. Overall I think LSAC doled out a heavy set of LRs which combined with the RC raised the difficulty level. This made having LG/LR or RC basically no different. I think it is very difficult for 3 LR people to pull the trigger and cancel a score regardless of how we feel.

I wonder how I will feel after looking at the LR sections as a PT.

inflightradio
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:00 am

Re: Dec. '11 LSAT - Logical Reasoning Frustrations

Postby inflightradio » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:43 pm

redsoxfaan3 wrote:For some reason, the overall feel for the LR seemed peculiar for the Dec '11 test to me. I had LR LG LR LR RC. Having taking nearly 40 different PTs, I can say that the December test felt awkward and I was not able to develop a nice flow. I have heard others mention that for this test, the question difficulty was not generally arranged from easiest-hardest and included some fairly nasty questions in the beginning, middle, and end of the sections. Also, in at least one of the LR sections, I felt that the last 4-6 questions were very lengthy, i.e. "Which of the following exhibits a similar reasoning pattern..." If you did not budget enough time at the end, it is likely that you ran into some timing issues for a few of the sections.

I feel a similar trepidation about my score, especially due to the LR questions. It seems to all depend on if your educated guesses went the right way more often than not :/


Yes! Felt the same way and also had 3 LR. I just remember my brain slowly shutting down as I progressed further into my 3rd LR section. I thought it was fatigue, but I had JUST had the break so what I think happened was my brain just literally could not take how random the mix of questions were. I found myself bogged down in the middle of this section because that's where the greatest concentration of weird questions seemed to be. At one point, I also distinctively remember that two of the last pages for my LR section were just filled to the brim with questions... Like 4 questions on each side, something that never happens! I'm just glad that I'm not the only one who felt the LR was off... LR is generally my favorite section too.

ExcelBaller
Posts: 91
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:10 pm

Re: Dec. '11 LSAT - Logical Reasoning Frustrations

Postby ExcelBaller » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:10 am

I agree, I think the reason for this was that the first LR had mostly inference type questions whereas the third LR seemed to be more formal logic and tricky assumption type questions. Parallel Questions were about the same in both. I've been used to a good mix during my study rather than being mind-&^%$#@ with tricky assumptions one after another.

Also, unrelated, it seemed like the RC section was not difficult because of the passages but because of the similarity of answer choices to the questions, and also because I remember the questions being worded differently than I've seen before. It was like I was reading for the main purpose and authors tone but when I got to the questions this was not the case. They asked for a lot of what could be inferred, and analogous type questions. Hope it works out!

User avatar
3v3ryth1ng
Posts: 295
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:48 pm

Re: Dec. '11 LSAT - Logical Reasoning Frustrations

Postby 3v3ryth1ng » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:40 am

ExcelBaller wrote:I agree, I think the reason for this was that the first LR had mostly inference type questions whereas the third LR seemed to be more formal logic and tricky assumption type questions. Parallel Questions were about the same in both. I've been used to a good mix during my study rather than being mind-&^%$#@ with tricky assumptions one after another.

Also, unrelated, it seemed like the RC section was not difficult because of the passages but because of the similarity of answer choices to the questions, and also because I remember the questions being worded differently than I've seen before. It was like I was reading for the main purpose and authors tone but when I got to the questions this was not the case. They asked for a lot of what could be inferred, and analogous type questions. Hope it works out!


I think the LR section was actually a little tricky. There were several specious incorrect answers, and unattractive correct answers, arranged in that order. It may be the "silent killer." People don't usually bitch about LR, because most people who bomb it have no idea they're bombing it. Look at December 2010 for example: some of the trickiest LR in a while, but people only usually complain about those games.

inflightradio
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:00 am

Re: Dec. '11 LSAT - Logical Reasoning Frustrations

Postby inflightradio » Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:11 am

3v3ryth1ng wrote:
ExcelBaller wrote:I agree, I think the reason for this was that the first LR had mostly inference type questions whereas the third LR seemed to be more formal logic and tricky assumption type questions. Parallel Questions were about the same in both. I've been used to a good mix during my study rather than being mind-&^%$#@ with tricky assumptions one after another.

Also, unrelated, it seemed like the RC section was not difficult because of the passages but because of the similarity of answer choices to the questions, and also because I remember the questions being worded differently than I've seen before. It was like I was reading for the main purpose and authors tone but when I got to the questions this was not the case. They asked for a lot of what could be inferred, and analogous type questions. Hope it works out!


I think the LR section was actually a little tricky. There were several specious incorrect answers, and unattractive correct answers, arranged in that order. It may be the "silent killer." People don't usually bitch about LR, because most people who bomb it have no idea they're bombing it. Look at December 2010 for example: some of the trickiest LR in a while, but people only usually complain about those games.


That's what has gotten me tossing and turning... LR is always the deadliest one because it lures people into a false sense of security. There were too many questions that I narrowed down between two for me to be comfortable with what I ended up choosing.

Glaucon
Posts: 107
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:24 pm

Re: Dec. '11 LSAT - Logical Reasoning Frustrations

Postby Glaucon » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:32 am

Anyone here had a problem with the west nile virus/mosquito question? That one had the most unattractive answer in the test lol. I also raised an eyebrow for a few seconds for the teaching children colors via color paper or paint question.

User avatar
princeR
Posts: 308
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:10 pm

Re: Dec. '11 LSAT - Logical Reasoning Frustrations

Postby princeR » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:06 pm

Glaucon wrote:Anyone here had a problem with the west nile virus/mosquito question? That one had the most unattractive answer in the test lol. I also raised an eyebrow for a few seconds for the teaching children colors via color paper or paint question.


Ya, that color papered one was pretty interesting, not really sure what I put, but I remember sitting on it for a good 3 minutes just because I wanted to get it right lol.

User avatar
lsacqueen
Posts: 255
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:03 am

Re: Dec. '11 LSAT - Logical Reasoning Frustrations

Postby lsacqueen » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:09 pm

3v3ryth1ng wrote:I think the LR section was actually a little tricky. There were several specious incorrect answers, and unattractive correct answers, arranged in that order. It may be the "silent killer." People don't usually bitch about LR, because most people who bomb it have no idea they're bombing it. Look at December 2010 for example: some of the trickiest LR in a while, but people only usually complain about those games.


This.

The right answers are always so obvious afterwards. Also, I do my best proofreading after I hit send. This seems to be a pattern.. :|

schizoapplixant
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:34 pm

Re: Dec. '11 LSAT - Logical Reasoning Frustrations

Postby schizoapplixant » Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:31 pm

I have done many practice test and it seemed as if this test had many trap answer choices that hinged on a misreading or understanding of the stimulus. Ex wolf. Overall the 3 LR seemed straightforward with attention paid to subtle differences between correct and incorrect choices.

schizoapplixant
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:34 pm

Re: Dec. '11 LSAT - Logical Reasoning Frustrations

Postby schizoapplixant » Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:33 pm

schizoapplixant wrote:I have done many practice test and it seemed as if this test had many trap answer choices that hinged on a misreading or understanding of the stimulus. Ex wolf. Overall the 3 LR seemed straightforward with attention paid to subtle differences between correct and incorrect choices.


Let's just hope we all did well and our difficulties were shared by most test takers (curve). Good luck everyone.

User avatar
bigtexmex
Posts: 169
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:42 pm

Re: Dec. '11 LSAT - Logical Reasoning Frustrations

Postby bigtexmex » Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:34 pm

I never got into a good groove for the LR sections. I'm sure I did fine, but some questions took me longer than usual.

User avatar
noleknight16
Posts: 943
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:09 am

Re: Dec. '11 LSAT - Logical Reasoning Frustrations

Postby noleknight16 » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:28 pm

bigtexmex wrote:I never got into a good groove for the LR sections. I'm sure I did fine, but some questions took me longer than usual.


Glad I'm not alone. I don't think I bombed it or anything...but it definitely took me longer.

User avatar
UtilityMonster
Posts: 315
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:16 pm

Re: Dec. '11 LSAT - Logical Reasoning Frustrations

Postby UtilityMonster » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:18 am

I felt that the LR was unusual as well. As many have stated on this thread, something about it "just didn't feel right." Well, turns out my REALLY weird LR section was experimental. Also, I suspect we are inclined to feel this way simply because LR just feels different when it is the real thing. I doubt the questions were substantially different than the tons of PTs we have all taken.

User avatar
willwash
Posts: 318
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:51 pm

Re: Dec. '11 LSAT - Logical Reasoning Frustrations

Postby willwash » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:49 am

SplitLife wrote:I went into the last page not liking at all the way my responses looked, not because of the wording of the answers, but more because of the letters they represented.

Did anyone else have a similar experience as mine?


What, did your answer sheet read:

D
E
A
D
D
E
A
D?

EDIT, mods, I didn't take the December test, I know nothing about it, the letter sequence above is intended only as a joke.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: dontsaywhatyoumean and 2 guests