study lsat and gmat at same time? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
adam.123

New

study lsat and gmat at same time?

Post by adam.123 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:53 pm

Any one studying for lsat and gmat at same time, or did it before? Can you recommend this? i need both test? would you recommend just study one test, then do the other? or would you do both at same time, but focus on lsat like 85-90 percent of time, then do little bit of gmat just one section, say quant or verbal, one of the other untill lsat is done, then u do both gmat section. I though that just doing lsat for like 3 moths, then do gmat kinda long time, dont know how long gmat will take. Doing a little bit of gmat while studying on lsat kinda help. By the time am done with lsat, i should have familiarize myslef with gmat one section and be good at at-least one of the section, then do both section later when lsat is done.

any recommendation, thought?

ADks

New

Re: study lsat and gmat at same time?

Post by ADks » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:04 pm

I've taken both. Not at the same time.

My thoughts:

Don't sound fun. Don't sound no fun at all.

lsatcrazy

Bronze

Post by lsatcrazy » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:12 pm

I took the GMAT 2 months before the June LSAT. I studied 1 month for the GMAT (760), took a month off, then studied 1 month for the June LSAT (167), then 1 month before Oct LSAT (172). If I had another chance, I probably would have skipped the June LSAT and just studied 2 months for the October LSAT.

adam.123

New

Post by adam.123 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:38 pm

would you recommend study it at same time? or it wont make any difference.

lsatcrazy

Bronze

Post by lsatcrazy » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:46 pm

Don't do them together. They are very different animals and you won't master either of them.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SanDiegoJake

Bronze

Post by SanDiegoJake » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:00 pm

I teach both tests and here's what I would do. Start with LSAT (all) and GMAT (Math only). You can study for LSAT and GMAT Math at the same time, as they use different parts of the brain. The GMAT math is difficult, not so much on the content tested (just algebra and geometry), but both in the way it's tested (Data Sufficiency can be wicked) and the curve. Since most Business School applicants are reasonably good at math, it's hard to get a top percentile. So get an early start here.

Schedule the actual GMAT for 4-6 weeks after the actual LSAT. So by the time you take the actual LSAT, you'll have the LSAT done and the GMAT math at least mostly done. Rest for a week after the LSAT. No books. Then, use your remaining time to fine tune the math and study the only part of the GMAT Verbal that the LSAT doesn't cover - Sentence Correction (the grammar stuff). After the LSAT, you'll be plenty prepared for the other two verbal sections of the GMAT. The GMAT has arguments, like the LSAT, but the GMAT ones are much easier so you don't need to do anything extra for those. The GMAT also has reading comp, like the LSAT, but it's also much easier. So you'll have those covered.

What I would NOT do is study GMAT first, as you'll get overconfident on the relatively easy Reading Comp and Arguments, and you'll basically have to start over to study those for the much more difficult LSAT reading and args.

Also, I'd like to suggest something. In general, people studying both these tests are looking at JD/MBA programs. True for you? So they think (correctly) that they have to get in to a school's Law School and Business School separately. That's true. What's not necessarily true is that they have to get in to both at the same time. How the JD/MBA works typically is that you do Year 1 in Law, Year 2 Business, Year 3 1/2 Law, 1/2 business, Year 4 Law. So one particularly successful strategy is to apply to Law School, get in, and then apply to Business School DURING your 1st year of Law School. At that point, it's hard for the admissions officer to say no. You're already on campus, and you're already doing graduate-level work. So the B-school is inclined to let you in based on the fact that you're already there, so they know that you will definitely accept any offer of admission, and you're already proving yourself at a high level, and possibly to some of the same profs you'll have in B-School (Business Law classes are sometimes taught by Law School profs). Plus, this gives you more time to do each set of applications, and reduces your number of B-School applications to 1. Yes, it's a bit risky. But that risk is mitigated by the increased chances of admission.

Good luck! The JD/MBA is a great dual degree. Those folks get good jobs.

adam.123

New

Post by adam.123 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:14 pm

Thank you so much SanDiegoJake.

clarified_butter

Bronze

Post by clarified_butter » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:11 pm

This is just crazy. Take one at a time. You have too much at risk with both of these scores.
adam.123 wrote:Any one studying for lsat and gmat at same time, or did it before? Can you recommend this? i need both test? would you recommend just study one test, then do the other? or would you do both at same time, but focus on lsat like 85-90 percent of time, then do little bit of gmat just one section, say quant or verbal, one of the other untill lsat is done, then u do both gmat section. I though that just doing lsat for like 3 moths, then do gmat kinda long time, dont know how long gmat will take. Doing a little bit of gmat while studying on lsat kinda help. By the time am done with lsat, i should have familiarize myslef with gmat one section and be good at at-least one of the section, then do both section later when lsat is done.

any recommendation, thought?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”