How long did it take you to study for the LSAT?

divinelygolden

How long did it take you to study for the LSAT?

Postby divinelygolden » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:15 pm

Just curious, how long did it take for many of you to get prepared for the LSAT? And What was your score?
Last edited by divinelygolden on Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: How long did it take you to study for the LSAT?

Postby 20130312 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:18 pm

Two months. Wish I had spent more.

Kabuo

Postby Kabuo » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:24 pm

2 weeks - 165; 2 months - 172; 5 months - 176.

SublimeStyle

Postby SublimeStyle » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:45 pm

Studied for the one this past weekend about a week and a half, will let you know my score when I get it. Hopefully 168+

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:46 pm

1 month - 166
1 month - 166
4 months - 176

hamsamitchguy03

Postby hamsamitchguy03 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:49 pm

ed ited
Last edited by hamsamitchguy03 on Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:51 pm

SublimeStyle wrote:Studied for the one this past weekend about a week and a half, will let you know my score when I get it. Hopefully 168+

Douche. Either you are incredibly gifted or a straight up flame-probably the latter. Either way not helpful at all. OP I studied three solid months for a 170. I will probably be retaking in June after my cycle is wrapping up to get off some potential WLs. I think the best LSAT prep advice on here is that you can reuse material a lot when you study. Lots of people seem to think this is not an optimal way to study. What I am going to be doing if I DO retake is every logic game 3 times each, review each one of my incorrect LR answer choices and type out an explanation and I will also be spending at least a day reviewing my PTs. None of these things I did the first time around.

HTH if that's why you're asking. If you are just starting, disregard my rambling advice and just know length of time varies between person and aptitude. Plenty of threads on here about how to study and improve.

Mapleash

Postby Mapleash » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:55 pm

6 weeks, 171. Thought about retaking (tested in Oct.) but wanted to get those apps in early.

divinelygolden

Postby divinelygolden » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:56 pm

it seems the key point is to take lots of practice tests

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:00 pm

Overall 10 months. First 5 were very diligent, next 3 were much more relaxed, and the following 2 were completely relaxed with serious studying few and far between. My approach the first 6 months were largely unfruitful, and it wasn't until I stepped back from the lens of all the strategies in PS/MLSAT and started looking at it on my own that it finally clicked. I invested too much energy into mastering PS/MLSAT concepts and realized that I would do best from my own strategy (except for LG. Would have been screwed without PS' method.).

QuincyWagstaff

Postby QuincyWagstaff » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:07 pm

divinelygolden wrote:it seems the key point is to take lots of practice tests

Disagree. You'll improve your performance far more through focused drilling by question type. Then, move on to full sections. Full practice tests should be the final step that brings it all together. I spent less than two weeks on PTs, all the rest of my time was on drills and review.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:11 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:
SublimeStyle wrote:Studied for the one this past weekend about a week and a half, will let you know my score when I get it. Hopefully 168+

Douche. Either you are incredibly gifted or a straight up flame-probably the latter. Either way not helpful at all. OP I studied three solid months for a 170. I will probably be retaking in June after my cycle is wrapping up to get off some potential WLs. I think the best LSAT prep advice on here is that you can reuse material a lot when you study. Lots of people seem to think this is not an optimal way to study. What I am going to be doing if I DO retake is every logic game 3 times each, review each one of my incorrect LR answer choices and type out an explanation and I will also be spending at least a day reviewing my PTs. None of these things I did the first time around.

HTH if that's why you're asking. If you are just starting, disregard my rambling advice and just know length of time varies between person and aptitude. Plenty of threads on here about how to study and improve.

this doesn't really make him a douche. I know several people who diag'd at 168-172. It's not like he was even being cocky about it.

QuincyWagstaff wrote:

Disagree. You'll improve your performance far more through focused drilling by question type. Then, move on to full sections. Full practice tests should be the final step that brings it all together. I spent less than two weeks on PTs, all the rest of my time was on drills and review.

this is credited

UtilityMonster

Postby UtilityMonster » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:15 pm

I did 2 powerscore bibles, 30 PTs, and the logic games from the first 20 LSATs over the course of six months, starting in May of 2011. Overall, I think I overdid it. I really just stopped improving after a while.

SublimeStyle

Postby SublimeStyle » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:17 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:

Why am I a douche to assume i'll get above my diagnostic? I took 2-3 full tests a day for 5 days leading up to the LSAT, and was averaging 175. In my 1.5 weeks of studying I bet I put more hours in than some people who studied for 2-3 months.

Edit: Total hours probably somewhere between 45-55 hours. Cramming really works for me for some reason, if you do it enough it gets to where you're subconsciously thinking about it all day. Sometimes I'd wake up knowing what I did wrong in a LG I did the day before, then redo that game to make sure.
Last edited by SublimeStyle on Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SUCO

Postby SUCO » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:18 pm

Might be more helpful to say the estimated hours total spent studying.

gwu1996

Postby gwu1996 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 11:48 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:

I will probably be retaking in June after my cycle is wrapping up to get off some potential WLs. I think the best LSAT prep advice on here is that you can reuse material a lot when you study. Lots of people seem to think this is not an optimal way to study. What I am going to be doing if I DO retake is every logic game 3 times each.

I agree with you on the logic games. When I began studying, I couldn't get one problem completed in 35 minutes. Using the PowerScore Bibles and Encyclopedias, I was able to get to 23 out of 25 by the time test day rolled around. The game types don't seem to change very much, save the occasional oddball.

Logical Reasoning seems like the same deal. Reading comprehension does seem to evolve more than the other sections, IMHO. That's the only one where repetitiveness doesn't really aid you in studying because you begin to remember the passages after the second/third time. Analysis of your mistakes is critical.

lhanvt13

Postby lhanvt13 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:38 am

JamMasterJ wrote:
Mal Reynolds wrote:

this doesn't really make him a douche. I know several people who diag'd at 168-172. It's not like he was even being cocky about it.

QuincyWagstaff wrote:

this is credited

Yup friend studied for 2 days, took the real deal the third, got a 175. Last October I think. So this is definitely possible

gaud

Postby gaud » Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:02 pm

Three weeks - 159; Four Months - 164; Seven Months - 170

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:50 pm

8 months - 166
1.5 more months - 169

Mr.Binks

Postby Mr.Binks » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:49 pm

1 month - 162
2 weeks - 161

4 months - Hopefully 170+

Postby 03152016 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:20 am

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”