Studying 4 the LSAT overpowering, Is every detail vital Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
divinelygolden

New

Studying 4 the LSAT overpowering, Is every detail vital

Post by divinelygolden » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:43 pm

Studying for the LSAT seems a bit overpowering, I’m using Powerscore and seems to be extremely crucial, central, and significant to know or commit to memory. Which becomes a lot of information. My question is, Is it imperative to get caught up in the technical aspect of the LSAT, such as recognizing a premise vs conclusion. Or knowing the types of questions such as Must be True vs Prove it? Or should it just be kept as a general recollection.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Re: Studying 4 the LSAT overpowering, Is every detail vital

Post by JamMasterJ » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:47 pm

divinelygolden wrote:Studying for the LSAT seems a bit overpowering, I’m using Powerscore and seems to be extremely crucial, central, and significant to know or commit to memory. Which becomes a lot of information. My question is, Is it imperative to get caught up in the technical aspect of the LSAT, such as recognizing a premise vs conclusion. Or knowing the types of questions such as Must be True vs Prove it? Or should it just be kept as a general recollection.
the things you list here are probably the first and third most important things to know on the LSAT, the second being how to set up and make inferences in a logic game

evian1212

New

Post by evian1212 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:47 pm

Recognizing question types is very important, as is recognizing a premise versus conclusions, etc. These are all pretty core concepts of the logical reasoning section (which is 1/2 of the test). It may seem overwhelming at first, but if you give yourself enough time (and practice), it should become second nature to you before the exam. On my first time taking it, I didnt always identify questions by type etc, and did so so, but on my re-take, I made sure to really nail down all the concepts and details, and did remarkably better.

divinelygolden

New

Post by divinelygolden » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:50 pm

Thanks!

ExcelBaller

New

Post by ExcelBaller » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:00 pm

After you finish power score I recommend getting manhattan LSAT lr guide. As stated it becomes second nature. My strategy consisted of glancing at the question stem for strategy and question type then finding conclusion and premise (argument core) then prephrase in 30 seconds before I hit the answer choices

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

hotchkiss1

New

Post by hotchkiss1 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:03 pm

U could try to do one prep test without time and finish every question with certainty. Make sure that you prove every other choice wrong and that you get very close to 100% right. Every blvd goes to Rome. So figure out a way to do that with timing later.

contusio

New

Post by contusio » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:45 pm

ExcelBaller wrote:After you finish power score I recommend getting manhattan LSAT lr guide. As stated it becomes second nature. My strategy consisted of glancing at the question stem for strategy and question type then finding conclusion and premise (argument core) then prephrase in 30 seconds before I hit the answer choices
I definitely agree with this. In preparation for the October test, I did about 25 preptests (+sections from others) and worked through Powerscore. I had a fairly good grip on LR but definitely hadn't mastered it (I generally missed about 5 between the two sections, and on test day I missed 7). And my approach was sloppy -- I would waste time considering answers I should have been able to immediately eliminate; I'd have to re-read, etc. I decided to retake, got the Manhattan books and they were incredibly helpful. After working through them, I felt like I had reached a new level of LSAT comprehension (this sounds super cheesy, but yeah). I was more efficient, more sure of myself, and my average number missed went down to 1-2.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”