Epic Fail - Need advice

Epic Fail - Need advice

Postby GoodGuyGreg » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:15 pm

First off, thank you all for the help, advice, and motivation over the last several months. I've been lurking hard through the forums, sharing in your frustrations and jokes about honey bees. You've turned me into an LSAT meat-head. I've changed my sleep regimens, improved my eating habits, been hitting the gym to keep body refreshed, and done almost every PT in existence.

So -

I took the test on Saturday and was killing it. I finished the first two sections each with 5-6 minutes to spare and had time to go over question and make sure I was confident of the answers.

But then when we were told to turn to section 3, I found myself in section 4... WTF? Oh god... immediately I transferred all of the answers from section 2 of the answer sheet to 3.

Then I flipped to section 2 and sat there staring at it. It was LG and only two pages long... In my adrenaline/cliff bar fueled LSAT Kung-Fu fury, I had jumped right past them.

The proctor must have seen my disbelief because she came over and said, you cannot be on that section, you need to be on section 3. I held up the answer sheet and test book like so many shattered dreams and explained my predicament.

Her response: "Oh no..."

Me: "Just please let me finish, we can take it up with LSAC or whatever right after. Just please let me finish"

She ran out of the room to get the supervisor.

After taking 3 seconds of agony to compartmentalize what had just occurred - I dove head on into the LG section sitting in front of me driven by a mix of desperation and deep seated neurosis I had attached to my time piece and its steadily ticking second hand. By the time she had returned I had completed the first game and was only 6 minutes into the section.

She pointed at the door and I ran out to meet the supervisor.

I began the prompt with my conclusion - "You should let me return to the test room so that I can finish my exam, afterwards we can discuss what has happened and a formal report can be issued". Then I moved into the premise - I had accidentally skipped a section.

The supervisor sought to undermine my conclusion - "How can you skip a whole section, you would have had to page through several pages to get to it?"

I pointed out her argument incorrectly assumed that all sections are of identical length. This was LG, only 2 pages front and back. And there was no reason for me to have skipped it on purpose. If any thing I wanted that section first when fresh. Just please let me finish. Every minute we are talking is directly impacting my future. I can save this, let me back in there.

This can't be happening, this can't be happening.

The supervisor suddenly changed tone from suspicious to empathic. "Oh no..." It was the second time I heard that phrase in... 9 minutes... that meant 26 more remaining, This was still salvageable, at worst I could skip a whole game and then just be perfect for the remaining sections. God willing its the experimental!

It didn't matter.

She began sadly shaking her head, "I'm sorry but I cannot let you back in. You worked on the incorrect section. I am so sorry, really, I understand, but there is nothing I can do. I will send someone to get your things, you must leave the test center."

"It is not your fault", I whispered cradling the remains of the carefully sharpened dixon ticonderoga HB #2 that had at some point snapped itself in half in my hand, "Thank you for understanding, do I need to fill any thing out? I do not want to have a charge of misconduct against me."

The supervisor replied there was nothing I needed to do, she would take care of writing everything up.

Before section 3 was even over, I was outside holding my one-gallon clear plastic bag of shame.

So TLS - What do I do now? This was my 3rd time taking the LSATs (1st a cancel, the 2nd pretty average score) do you think I will be able to lobby for a fourth? Will I get a letter of misconduct crippling my ability to get into Top 14 forever? Is this a sign that under no circumstances should I practice law?

Thanks, GGG

DL;DR - accidentally worked on the wrong section, got kicked out of the test center. What do I do now???

Re: Epic Fail - Need advice

Postby noleknight16 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:25 pm

If that story is legit, I'm sorry man. That's the most tragic story I've heard in a while. Nothing else you can do besides write LSAC for a 4th shot at the test.

law chihuahua

Postby law chihuahua » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:29 pm

Wow, I'm so sorry to hear that. Do you know what is going to written on your report yet? Unfortunately, I don't think it will be likely that you will get a chance for a fourth retake unless it's outside of the three times in two years rule. It's a very unfortunate situation, but they might only allow extra test administrations for people who had something that was completely beyond their power happen to them during the test, such as a power outage or natural disaster. You should call LSAC to be sure, though.
Is waiting a cycle or two possible for you?

Postby soscurred » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:31 pm

In short;

Approval for re-take is likely, uncertain about how your misconduct will be viewed by law schools (you made an honest mistake but then deliberately violated the rules by working on a different section), and if you still want law, this shouldn't impact your decision.

Postby guinness1547 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:34 pm

Last edited by guinness1547 on Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby LexLeon » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:41 pm

I take your story to be true. When we make mistakes, there are consequences.

Everything will work out fine. Don't forget that, have utter faith in it, and you'll see.

Postby 062914123 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:52 pm

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”