pt 63 curve vs dec 2011 curve

User avatar
swtlilsoni
Posts: 399
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:00 am

pt 63 curve vs dec 2011 curve

Postby swtlilsoni » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:01 pm

I know everyone says that dec 11 had a difficult RC so I should have a decent curve, however I'm a little concerned because pt 63 had a crazy hard RC (I think 63 was Kate Chopin and the underwater science passage) and it only had a -9 curve! Why would it only get -9 for an RC like that?! It seems like RC difficulty doesn't mean much to lsac. So wouldn't dec 2011 end up in the same situation?

iamrobk
Posts: 485
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:31 pm

Re: pt 63 curve vs dec 2011 curve

Postby iamrobk » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:04 pm

swtlilsoni wrote:I know everyone says that dec 11 had a difficult RC so I should have a decent curve, however I'm a little concerned because pt 63 had a crazy hard RC (I think 63 was Kate Chopin and the underwater science passage) and it only had a -9 curve! Why would it only get -9 for an RC like that?! It seems like RC difficulty doesn't mean much to lsac. So wouldn't dec 2011 end up in the same situation?

Yeah, LG seems to have a much bigger effect on the curve than RC or LR.

guinness1547
Posts: 585
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:13 am

Re: pt 63 curve vs dec 2011 curve

Postby guinness1547 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:32 pm

swtlilsoni wrote:I know everyone says that dec 11 had a difficult RC so I should have a decent curve, however I'm a little concerned because pt 63 had a crazy hard RC (I think 63 was Kate Chopin and the underwater science passage) and it only had a -9 curve! Why would it only get -9 for an RC like that?! It seems like RC difficulty doesn't mean much to lsac. So wouldn't dec 2011 end up in the same situation?


I'm going to ignore this and keep thinking in my head that it had a -12 curve.

User avatar
tmon
Posts: 1242
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:52 pm

Re: pt 63 curve vs dec 2011 curve

Postby tmon » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:35 pm

PT63 didn't have a -9 curve. It was -11.

User avatar
noleknight16
Posts: 943
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:09 am

Re: pt 63 curve vs dec 2011 curve

Postby noleknight16 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:00 pm

tmon wrote:PT63 didn't have a -9 curve. It was -11.


Yep, it was -11... which seems about right for this one too. Maybe -12 if we get some December luck.

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: pt 63 curve vs dec 2011 curve

Postby JamMasterJ » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:26 pm

iamrobk wrote:
swtlilsoni wrote:I know everyone says that dec 11 had a difficult RC so I should have a decent curve, however I'm a little concerned because pt 63 had a crazy hard RC (I think 63 was Kate Chopin and the underwater science passage) and it only had a -9 curve! Why would it only get -9 for an RC like that?! It seems like RC difficulty doesn't mean much to lsac. So wouldn't dec 2011 end up in the same situation?

Yeah, LG seems to have a much bigger effect on the curve than RC or LR.

This is credited. Also, June RC wasn't terribly difficult. It was really just the magnetism passage.

User avatar
Mr. Pancakes
Posts: 1234
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:11 pm

Re: pt 63 curve vs dec 2011 curve

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:28 pm

tmon wrote:PT63 didn't have a -9 curve. It was -11.


+1. When's the last time there has been a -9?

ziegltic
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:00 pm

Re: pt 63 curve vs dec 2011 curve

Postby ziegltic » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:35 pm

I think it will be a -13 curve.... rc was very difficult and logic games had two unusual games

User avatar
Mr. Pancakes
Posts: 1234
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:11 pm

Re: pt 63 curve vs dec 2011 curve

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:53 pm

ziegltic wrote:I think it will be a -13 curve.... rc was very difficult and logic games had two unusual games



I hope so. I can't tell if I was stressing hard or not but that felt like one of the hardest RCs out of the past 20 tests.

User avatar
calidancer2
Posts: 200
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:19 am

Re: pt 63 curve vs dec 2011 curve

Postby calidancer2 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:08 pm

ziegltic wrote:I think it will be a -13 curve.... rc was very difficult and logic games had two unusual games



2 linears, a grouping, and a linear that required a slightly different approach?

-11.

User avatar
swtlilsoni
Posts: 399
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:00 am

Re: pt 63 curve vs dec 2011 curve

Postby swtlilsoni » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:57 pm

Okay guys powerscore has a list of the tests with the hardest Rcs ever. I checked the curves for each. I also looked at the list of lsats wth he hardest games sections of all time and marked those as such.

Oct 91: -10 (waterbugs) HARD GAMES(Hannah, the dogs)
Feb 94: -11 (civil rights theories)
Dec 95: -15 (legal cases that are not easily solved)
Dec 98: -16 (the effects of names on personality) HARD GAMES(lizards and snakes)
June 99: -13 (steady state economics)
Oct 00: -14 (multicultural education)
Dec 05: -8 (embryo polarity and Louise Gluck )
June 06: -10 (maize)
Sept 06: -10 (riddled basins of attraction)
Oct 08: -9 (Chinese talk story)

So the ones with hard games can be eliminated since thy dot represent this exam, however if we just find out which of those tests from the list had a considerably easy games section comparable to dec11, we can compare the curves.

ExcelBaller
Posts: 91
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:10 pm

Re: pt 63 curve vs dec 2011 curve

Postby ExcelBaller » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:51 am

hopefully this is a good indicator.

User avatar
willwash
Posts: 318
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:51 pm

Re: pt 63 curve vs dec 2011 curve

Postby willwash » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:27 am

I actually found RC on PT 63 fairly easy, I got -2. LR and the brutal curve killed me on that test though (-8 total). But the biggest factor in that harsh curve was that LG on PT 63 were SUPER easy.

The reason LG affects the curve more than RC is because, on average (TLS is NOT a representative sample), LG is by far the worst section for most people, and you probably see the most variation in scores as well.

I remember on my first cold diagnostic and on most of my first few preptests, LG scores of -10, -11, -12 were commonplace, whereas I'd go -5, -6, -7 at worst on the others. You can improve LG to a fairly consistent -0 to -2 with solid prep, which is a massive improvement, whereas if you cold diagnostic -5 to -7 on LR/RC you probably won't improve to much better than -2 to -4. A much smaller improvement, meaning less potential to impact the curve.

Think of it this way:

TLS student: The difficulty of the section with the lowest average scores amongst all test takers plays the most significant role in determining the curve on a given test: the more difficult that section, the more generous the curve. RC is my lowest-scoring section. Almost everyone I talk to on TLS says RC is their lowest-scoring section. RC was difficult in the December test, so the curve for the December test will be generous.

The TLS student's argument is vulnerable to criticism on the grounds that it...

Bad news: Everyone is saying LG were very easy in December.

User avatar
noleknight16
Posts: 943
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:09 am

Re: pt 63 curve vs dec 2011 curve

Postby noleknight16 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:49 pm

If the curve is single digits, I'm going to cry. :(

User avatar
180asBreath
Posts: 480
Joined: Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:47 am

Re: pt 63 curve vs dec 2011 curve

Postby 180asBreath » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:55 pm

noleknight16 wrote:If the curve is single digits, I'm going to cry. :(


Personally, I'll be waking up from my dream.

Does anyone have an explanation for why the past two December tests were -14, but this one will be -9 to -11?

User avatar
soj
Posts: 7735
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:10 pm

Re: pt 63 curve vs dec 2011 curve

Postby soj » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:58 pm

Don't look too much into past correlations between month and scale.

User avatar
noleknight16
Posts: 943
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:09 am

Re: pt 63 curve vs dec 2011 curve

Postby noleknight16 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:11 pm

180asBreath wrote:
noleknight16 wrote:If the curve is single digits, I'm going to cry. :(


Personally, I'll be waking up from my dream.

Does anyone have an explanation for why the past two December tests were -14, but this one will be -9 to -11?


I cannot answer for December 2009, but I took December 2010 and it was brutal for me. This test went much smoother (I think). lol

User avatar
swtlilsoni
Posts: 399
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:00 am

Re: pt 63 curve vs dec 2011 curve

Postby swtlilsoni » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:13 pm

what scares me is that Dec 05 had a hard RC too and it had a minus 8 curve .. that means its possible that this one will also ..

Glaucon
Posts: 107
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:24 pm

Re: pt 63 curve vs dec 2011 curve

Postby Glaucon » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:17 pm

noleknight16 wrote:
180asBreath wrote:
noleknight16 wrote:If the curve is single digits, I'm going to cry. :(


I cannot answer for December 2009, but I took December 2010 and it was brutal for me. This test went much smoother (I think). lol


AGREED. I did that for a PT and got something like 162; hardest one i've seen since the new millennium.

baaron008
Posts: 35
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:36 pm

Re: pt 63 curve vs dec 2011 curve

Postby baaron008 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:17 pm

Impossible to guess the curve based on a few anecdotal reports from various test takers on Top Law Schools.

iamrobk
Posts: 485
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:31 pm

Re: pt 63 curve vs dec 2011 curve

Postby iamrobk » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:18 pm

baaron008 wrote:Impossible to guess the curve based on a few anecdotal reports from various test takers on Top Law Schools.

Eh, I disagree. The polls on the June and October threads correctly guessed the curves on those tests.

guinness1547
Posts: 585
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:13 am

Re: pt 63 curve vs dec 2011 curve

Postby guinness1547 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:19 pm

baaron008 wrote:Impossible to guess the curve based on a few anecdotal reports from various test takers on Top Law Schools.


Exactly. Worrying about it will just give you an ulcer. We already took the test, nothing that can be done now.

baaron008
Posts: 35
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:36 pm

Re: pt 63 curve vs dec 2011 curve

Postby baaron008 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:20 pm

And it seems for the most part, people that are good at logic games seem to think most logic games sections are easy, regardless. I had no problems on the dec 10 and 09 logic games, which appear to be some of the hardest in memory for most test takers.

The last two games of 11 were very time consuming for most, which could be an indicator of difficulty. I certainly did not think these lgs were as easy as some of the late 40s.

guinness1547
Posts: 585
Joined: Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:13 am

Re: pt 63 curve vs dec 2011 curve

Postby guinness1547 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:29 pm

iamrobk wrote:
baaron008 wrote:Impossible to guess the curve based on a few anecdotal reports from various test takers on Top Law Schools.

Eh, I disagree. The polls on the June and October threads correctly guessed the curves on those tests.


Then we're looking at -11 or -12, and people still need to stop worrying.

baaron008
Posts: 35
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:36 pm

Re: pt 63 curve vs dec 2011 curve

Postby baaron008 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:34 pm

iamrobk wrote:
baaron008 wrote:Impossible to guess the curve based on a few anecdotal reports from various test takers on Top Law Schools.

Eh, I disagree. The polls on the June and October threads correctly guessed the curves on those tests.


Coincidence IMHO.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 180orDie, batlaw, BobBoblaw, SunDevil14, ThatOneAfrican and 13 guests