Improving a 99th Percentile score

Re: Improving a 99th Percentile score

Postby 20130312 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:11 pm

Mauve Dinosaur wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:
QuincyWagstaff wrote:

What does decent on games mean? How many do you miss on avg? That needs to be down to a very consistent -0.

I mean that, on a PT or drill, I can consistently get -0 and finish with extra time; however, in the high-stakes environment of the real thing (October 2011; a challenging games section for most), I'm not infallible, and I ended up with a -3.

I was proud of my -1 LG on the October '11 LSAT, but got smacked down by RC with a -9 :oops:

If you don't mind my asking, how the hell did you figure out the bike game? That one just destroyed me, and I'm generally pretty good at games. Hell, I finished the other 3 (and got perfect on them) with 15 minutes to spare and even with 15 minutes I STILL lost 4 marks on that game.

I covered the page and the one before it with bike game hypotheticals. Just started listing every possible combination that would work. It took forever, but like you, I had a lot of time to spare for the last game.

QuincyWagstaff

Postby QuincyWagstaff » Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:52 pm

[/quote]

I covered the page and the one before it with bike game hypotheticals. Just started listing every possible combination that would work. It took forever, but like you, I had a lot of time to spare for the last game.[/quote]

So, both of you skipped this game and came back to it? I never skip around in a section. I believe I missed one in Bikes, and wrote a ridiculous volume of hypos in the process as well. Unfortunately, I also missed two other questions elsewhere do to simple carelessness. Any tips for avoiding careless errors in LG? If I had got those relatively easy questions, I'd be sitting at a 175 right now.

American_in_China

Postby American_in_China » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:02 am

What's with the hostility? TLS is about people doing the best they possibly can- discovering TLS is one of the things that propelled me to retake, and it was invaluable for doing so, especially Dave Hall's thread. There's nothing wrong with trying to score as high as you possibly can- those 7 points bought me a chance at T6 and a lot more scholarship potential at other schools I am considering. And for splitters like me, the LSAT is the only tool I have to do that.

Don't get mad at people for aiming high. It's inherently selfish, and I'm appalled that someone would come into this thread just to yell at people trying. OP created a new thread, didn't interfere with anyone else, to ask for advice. He isn't trolling or being a jerk- he's just trying to do the best he can.

American_in_China

Postby American_in_China » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:06 am

Last edited by American_in_China on Mon May 28, 2012 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 20130312 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:38 pm

QuincyWagstaff wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote:
I covered the page and the one before it with bike game hypotheticals. Just started listing every possible combination that would work. It took forever, but like you, I had a lot of time to spare for the last game.

So, both of you skipped this game and came back to it? I never skip around in a section. I believe I missed one in Bikes, and wrote a ridiculous volume of hypos in the process as well. Unfortunately, I also missed two other questions elsewhere do to simple carelessness. Any tips for avoiding careless errors in LG? If I had got those relatively easy questions, I'd be sitting at a 175 right now.

No, I didn't skip around, but if skipping around helps you then go for it.

QuincyWagstaff

Postby QuincyWagstaff » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:50 pm

American_in_China wrote:172 to 179 here.
My #1 advice is not to be afraid of changing your methods. I changed my approach on half of LG, completely on RC, and substantially on LR (switching to reading question stem first, switched notation of formal logic). And definitely do the double tests. Nothing beats feeling fresh going into the 5th section while everyone is having trouble staying awake.

AiC, what was the RC method that you used in October, and how to that evolve during the course of your studying? Were you able to -0/-1 RC without rereading for the majority of questions, or did you give the passage a rapid reading and then return for a closer reading in answering questions?

Anyone who has mastered RC, what is your preferred approach?

Postby 06162014123 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:05 pm

Last edited by 06162014123 on Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mauve Dinosaur

Postby Mauve Dinosaur » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:51 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:I covered the page and the one before it with bike game hypotheticals. Just started listing every possible combination that would work. It took forever, but like you, I had a lot of time to spare for the last game.

Hmm, guess if I just didn't panic and get all pissed off I could have done it by brute force. I still think there's some kind of key deduction I missed that would have made everything clear, but I've talked to a lot of people about it and no one's figured out what it was.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”