Improving LR

lsat2011

Improving LR

Postby lsat2011 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:49 am

I find that I have to use a huge amount of mental energy to figure out the answer to an LR question even when I'm familiar with what it is asking i.e. assumption, inference etc.

A lot of high scorers are saying that you can preempt the question/answer to an argument after practice. Is this actually possible, and if so, how?

Also, do the test makers actually expect us to read in fine detail every element of the passage?

soscurred

Re: Improving LR

Postby soscurred » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:19 pm

It is definitely possible. In fact, for the majority of my LR questions (I averaged -2 per LR), I often know the answer I'm looking for before I even read the selections. Obviously, this doesn't apply equally to all questions (e.g. what role does x play in the argument), but for the most part I find that it saves me a lot of time.

As you read each stimulus, you should be mentally dissecting it in your head. You should be able to immediately identify premises and more importantly, the conclusion. Once you've done that, you need to decide for yourself if the argument is logically sound. If it's not, then you look for the most blatant way to tear the argument apart. That's the answer that is most likely going to appear in the answer choices. Sometimes it's not, and you need to think a bit out of the box. But if you've grasped the flaw in the reasoning, it shouldn't be hard to find the right choice. Even so, if you train yourself to understand the fundamental argument, then regardless of whether you can predict the answer, you'll have a huge leg up.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”