How did oversea takers do on the Dec 2011 LSAT?

fumagalli

How did oversea takers do on the Dec 2011 LSAT?

Postby fumagalli » Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:44 am

I'm a oversea taker and took the test today. I did not do well is what I'll tell you.
I thought LG was really hard. Somewhat par with pt 62 on difficulty.

Or is this just me?

captainzoom

Re: How did oversea takers do on the Dec 2011 LSAT?

Postby captainzoom » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:23 am

Yeah, I took it abroad as well, in Germany. I had two games sections, and I'm trying to figure out which one was experimental. One I thought was relatively easy, and the other was impossibly hard. In the impossibly hard section, the first game itself took so much time that I panicked on the other ones. The other sections seemed alright, but now I'm afraid I may have messed up the real, non-experimental games section. Ugh. Where did you take it? How did you find the rest of the test?

pammie0415

Postby pammie0415 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:36 am

I just took it today in Japan. I had 2 LG sections as well. LG, RC, LR, LR, LG.
I felt that the second LG section was definitely harder for me than the first one. Got stuck on the last question and had to guess the last 5 questions so I'm hoping that one is the experimental one.
My first LG had a questions about certain type of tree and islands. Second one had soemthing about editing. I'm sorry I can' be very specific as we're not supposed to be. Did any of you have that too? Can anyone verify which is the real section?
I'm really freaking out now and I'm thinking about canceling if the second LG is the real one. :cry:

captainzoom

Postby captainzoom » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:43 am

My order was RC LR LG LR LG. I found the RC a bit challenging, and v. dry, but LG the second one was completely mindboggling. I think it was also the end of the test so i was already quite drained and then the most challenging section came up right at the end. Made things worse, I suppose.

Anyhow, I can't seem to remember the content of any of the games now. I wonder if the overseas tests are different at different locations/dates? I took my test at 2 pm on December 3, which is the same time that the EST administration in the US starts, with the time difference.

Is it a possibility that the test might be the same one as the US? For European test takers? Everyone in the US seems to be saying the LG section was relatively easier (compared to October 2011). So I'm wondering if it might be the same one.

melbert

Postby melbert » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:46 am

I took it abroad as well and had two games. I've been trying to figure out which was experimental and real. My order was RC-LR-LG-LR-LG. The third LG was alright though I didn't do great. The 5th LG was impossibly hard. i think the topics from the 5th were selling antiques and meetings in various places. It seems that the second would have to be the real one but it was like out of control difficult...

the rest of the test was ok. the first lr was a bit harder than the second but the thing was manageable.
Last edited by melbert on Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

captainzoom

Postby captainzoom » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:49 am

Yes I had the same experience and similar order as yours meibert. Multiple conditional statements, on all types of games. There was no 'easy' game on that section. I really hope that was experimental.

pammie0415

Postby pammie0415 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:05 am

I think all the oversea tests are different from the one in North America. But I think the Asian test takers have a different one from the Europeans. Can anyone else who took it in Asia verify which one is the real LG?

I thought the LR sections were okay. There weren't many questions that required diagramming. But I definitely found the RC section quite challenging. I spent too much time one the first one and had to speed through the last one with only 5 mins left. That was kinda sad since it really wasn't that hard and if I could have had a little more time, I could have got the questions correct for sure.

sinpo

Postby sinpo » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:06 am

I took it in Korea and the real LG had a game with voicemail/webmail -- I had two LGs (LG-RC-LR-LR-LG) and the real one was the last one.
I thought the fourth game of the LG section was difficult. It was one in which you had to sort out articles on nature, finance or something like that.
FYI, my practice score ranges 173-177 and I usually get -0 on LG. I thought LRs and RC were average, although I don't feel too good about them personally.

sinpo

Postby sinpo » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:08 am

pammie0415 wrote:I just took it today in Japan. I had 2 LG sections as well. LG, RC, LR, LR, LG.
I felt that the second LG section was definitely harder for me than the first one. Got stuck on the last question and had to guess the last 5 questions so I'm hoping that one is the experimental one.
My first LG had a questions about certain type of tree and islands. Second one had soemthing about editing. I'm sorry I can' be very specific as we're not supposed to be. Did any of you have that too? Can anyone verify which is the real section?
I'm really freaking out now and I'm thinking about canceling if the second LG is the real one. :cry:

I'm sorry to tell you this, but the one with editing articles was the real one...

pammie0415

Postby pammie0415 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:19 am

sinpo wrote:
pammie0415 wrote:I just took it today in Japan. I had 2 LG sections as well. LG, RC, LR, LR, LG.

I'm sorry to tell you this, but the one with editing articles was the real one...

Aww man... Oh well. I knew it was possible that it would have been the real one. Thanks for the info.

warplan

Postby warplan » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:28 am

sinpo wrote:I took it in Korea and the real LG had a game with voicemail/webmail -- I had two LGs (LG-RC-LR-LR-LG) and the real one was the last one.
I thought the fourth game of the LG section was difficult. It was one in which you had to sort out articles on nature, finance or something like that.
FYI, my practice score ranges 173-177 and I usually get -0 on LG. I thought LRs and RC were average, although I don't feel too good about them personally.

I took it in Korea, too.
But, I feel so bad to RC section...
Isn't it difficult? Though usaually so awful at RC Sections, I was too hard for me...
especially, in the name, '!' make me confusing. I really hate that name. '!'
'!', exclamation mark, was a big hinderance to read sentence...My reading was cut off when I met '!'...so bad...

lex529

Postby lex529 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:39 am

I took my test in Seoul. The order of the sections were LG-RC-LR-LR-LG. Usually I hate games - the games in the most recent PTs(57~64) killed me
so I was really worried about getting an LG as the exp section. Turns out i did, but fortunately they were not as challenging.

The first LG, which was okay, turned out to be the dummy section.

During the second section(RC) I kinda lost focus a little in the passage about ethnography @#$% The exclamation marks (!) all over the passage threw me; forgive my ignorance, but i thought they were typos ;( Anyway the rest was somewhat okay, although the first passage also kinda surprised me coz i didn't see many passages written in the first-person perspective.

The LR sections were okay, i think, but there were a few confusing qs.

What bothers me is my fifth section, the real LG. I managed to finish the first three games in 15 minutes, and that actually never happened to me before so I was sure it was an experimental until I got to the fourth game - the one about articles & editing them in order. I panicked a little, used brute force for almost all of the q's and had to even guess on one because time was called when I narrowed it down to two contending choices.
I didn't have the time to go over to the previous games and review them, which is what I should've done because I tend to get sloppy with easy games: I had to make sure I didn't make some stupid mistake but couldn't because the time ran out.

I'm considering canceling, but I just can't decide for sure if I did that bad. I already have a lousy 164 from the June 2011 administration; canceling will definitely look bad but so will a similarly low score. I hate that I didn't have time to go over that last LG section. It's gonna haunt me tonight. :(
Last edited by lex529 on Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

fumagalli

Postby fumagalli » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:48 am

lex529 wrote:I took my test in Seoul. The order of the sections were LG-RC-LR-LR-LG. Usually I hate games - the games in the most recent PTs(57~64) killed me
so I was really worried about getting an LG as the exp section. Turns out i did, but fortunately they were not as challenging.

During the second section(RC) I kinda lost focus a little in the passage about ethnography @#$% The exclamation marks (!) all over the passage threw me; forgive my ignorance, but i thought they were typos ;( Anyway the rest was somewhat okay, although the first passage also kinda surprised me coz i didn't see many passages written in the first-person perspective.

What bothers me is my fifth section, the real LG. I managed to finish the first three games in 15 minutes, and that actually never happened to me before so I was sure it was an experimental until I got to the fourth game - the one about articles & editing them in order. I panicked a little, used brute force for almost all of the q's and had to even guess on one because time was called when I narrowed it down to two contending choices.
I didn't have the time to go over to the previous games and review them, which is what I should've done because I tend to get sloppy with easy games: I had to make sure I didn't make some stupid mistake but couldn't because the time ran out.

I'm considering canceling, but I just can't decide for sure if I did that bad. I already have a lousy 164 from the June 2011 administration; canceling will definitely look bad but so will a similarly low score. I hate that I didn't have time to go over that last LG section. It's gonna haunt me tonight. :(

Was the LG on the June 2011 test as hard as this one? I'm suspecting that LSAC is handing out harder LG sections for Asians or something.

I took my test in Hong Kong.

Wasn't the 3rd game hard as well? No one is mentioning that the 3rd one was hard. I feel stupid now. :(

btw, I think that even with a previous score, a cancel would look better than another 160's (if that is what you're expecting). Considering that most schools average your scores, having only two scores would be better than three. (If you're considering to retake on last time)

fumagalli

Postby fumagalli » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:52 am

warplan wrote:
sinpo wrote:I took it in Korea and the real LG had a game with voicemail/webmail -- I had two LGs (LG-RC-LR-LR-LG) and the real one was the last one.

I took it in Korea, too.
But, I feel so bad to RC section...
Isn't it difficult? Though usaually so awful at RC Sections, I was too hard for me...
especially, in the name, '!' make me confusing. I really hate that name. '!'
'!', exclamation mark, was a big hinderance to read sentence...My reading was cut off when I met '!'...so bad...

What did you feel about the LG? Was it not hard? (I'm asking cuz it was for me)

fumagalli

Postby fumagalli » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:54 am

Wasn't the 3rd voice/webmail game difficult? I panicked on that one and panicked again on the fourth one (it was obviously more difficult).

tlsghost

Postby tlsghost » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:21 am

I took it in Beijing and also thought that the second LG section was really difficult, especially the last game (though the third game was tricky too). I just read on the PowerScore blog that LSAC ended the "experimental section is one of the first three" convention in October 2011 (http://blog.powerscore.com/lsat/the-lsa ... l-section/). Has anyone heard this from anywhere else and if so, does anyone think there's any chance that the second LG section was actually the experimental one?

lex529

Postby lex529 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:27 am

fumagalli wrote:
lex529 wrote:I took my test in Seoul. The order of the sections were LG-RC-LR-LR-LG. Usually I hate games - the games in the most recent PTs(57~64) killed me

Was the LG on the June 2011 test as hard as this one? I'm suspecting that LSAC is handing out harder LG sections for Asians or something.

I took my test in Hong Kong.

Wasn't the 3rd game hard as well? No one is mentioning that the 3rd one was hard. I feel stupid now. :(

btw, I think that even with a previous score, a cancel would look better than another 160's (if that is what you're expecting). Considering that most schools average your scores, having only two scores would be better than three. (If you're considering to retake on last time)

Actually I panicked big time during the June 2011 test so I don't remember what the games were really like; but I remember using brute force for all four sections. I couldn't think straight by the time I reached the third game and lost focus. I think that's where I went down.

For today's test I was less nervous and was able to make a few valuable deductions.
As for the third game, what helped most was realizing that placement options for each slot were all extremely limited: the rules allowed for very few possibilities. (It sucks that I can't explicitly discuss the details here; it's the game I remember most clearly.) The games were quite similar to past games where you had to assign years for computers & printers (am i right? not sure if it was printers or fax machines) so I drew the master sketch accordingly.
Hope you did well, though. I think I'm going to sit on the thought of canceling.

sinpo

Postby sinpo » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:38 am

tlsghost wrote:I took it in Beijing and also thought that the second LG section was really difficult, especially the last game (though the third game was tricky too). I just read on the PowerScore blog that LSAC ended the "experimental section is one of the first three" convention in October 2011 (http://blog.powerscore.com/lsat/the-lsa ... l-section/). Has anyone heard this from anywhere else and if so, does anyone think there's any chance that the second LG section was actually the experimental one?

The fifth LG with editing articles is the experimental section -- I confirmed it with my friend who had one LG section and I believe that LSAC administers the same test in different locations in Asia.
And I thought the third game(voicemail) was quite easy, but the last one was definitely difficult. Many seem to have found that one hard, which relieves me a bit.

Any thoughts on LRs and RC?
I thought they were average today, neither easy nor hard. LRs had a couple of confusing ones though. And I vaguely remember some new types of questions on RC.
I think it would be helpful to note how you usually do in each section. I usually get less than -4 on both LRs combined and get less than -3 on RC.

tlsghost

Postby tlsghost » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:27 am

sinpo wrote: The fifth LG with editing articles is the experimental section -- I confirmed it with my friend who had one LG section and I believe that LSAC administers the same test in different locations in Asia.
And I thought the third game(voicemail) was quite easy, but the last one was definitely difficult. Many seem to have found that one hard, which relieves me a bit.

Sinpo, thanks for the information. I also heard that LSAC administers the same test in different locations in Asia so if you friend's single LG section wasn't the one with the third (voicemail) and fourth (editing articles) games discussed above, that LG section (which also appeared fifth for me) should be the experimental one, which would be great news. Just to be sure, can you confirm that that's what he/she said? Thanks!

I thought the third game (voicemail) wasn't too bad but I completely choked on the last one (editing articles). I also thought the LRs were about average, though I had more trouble with them than I usually do and I had to blind guess on one or two because of time.

fumagalli

Postby fumagalli » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:58 am

sinpo wrote:
tlsghost wrote:I took it in Beijing and also thought that the second LG section was really difficult, especially the last game (though the third game was tricky too). I just read on the PowerScore blog that LSAC ended the "experimental section is one of the first three" convention in October 2011 (http://blog.powerscore.com/lsat/the-lsa ... l-section/). Has anyone heard this from anywhere else and if so, does anyone think there's any chance that the second LG section was actually the experimental one?

The fifth LG with editing articles is the experimental section -- I confirmed it with my friend who had one LG section and I believe that LSAC administers the same test in different locations in Asia.

Any thoughts on LRs and RC?
I thought they were average today, neither easy nor hard. LRs had a couple of confusing ones though. And I vaguely remember some new types of questions on RC.
I think it would be helpful to note how you usually do in each section. I usually get less than -4 on both LRs combined and get less than -3 on RC.

Wait, wait, didn't you just say up there with clear confidence that the last one was the real deal? I can't believe this because the first LG was way too easy for current standards. In one game, most of the questions were solved by simply applying one of the rules. I'm considering whether I should cancel because of the last LG I had (which was the one with the voice mail and article ordering) so this is a very important issue for me.

Since I'm not going to take my chances on one account,
Can anyone else verify this?? Is there anyone else who had only one LG?

Edit: Ok, someone has verified that he/she had one LG and that the harder one was the real deal. Now which person do I believe?

timeless

Postby timeless » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:02 pm

Had only one LG, and I had voice mail.

So one extra vote for harder one as the real deal.

Sorry mate.

pammie0415

Postby pammie0415 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:28 pm

I felt that the second LG definitely threw me off. I finished the first 3 games in a breeze. Even though the last question for the voicemail/web question did throw me off and took me a good few minutes to figure out. But the last question about the article was difficult. I completely blanked and didn't have time to finish the last five questions for it. So pissed and disappointed because I usually score -0/-2 on LG sections during practice tests.

I have to agree that the whole ! thing threw me off too. I found the first two RC passages to be more difficult than the last two. The first one was confusing and then the second with the ! was just like.. What.. The... Hell.... It completely messed up my reading.
Last edited by pammie0415 on Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pammie0415

Postby pammie0415 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:58 pm

I'm also thinking about cancelling and it all depends on which LG was the experimental. So far it seems that more ppl are saying the one with the voicemail and editing articles one was the real one. Can anyone else confirm this? It seems that this is really important for a few of us on this thread thinking about cancelling so any help would be greatly appreciated!! I panicked and didn't get to finished the last game so if the last LG turns out to be experimental that will be a significant score difference for me... oh god..

fumagalli

Postby fumagalli » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:44 pm

pammie0415 wrote:I felt that the second LG definitely threw me off. I finished the first 3 games in a breeze. Even though the last question for the voicemail/web question did throw me off and took me a good few minutes to figure out. But the last question about the article was difficult. I completely blanked and didn't have time to finish the last five questions for it. So pissed and disappointed because I usually score -0/-2 on LG sections during practice tests.

I have to agree that the whole ! thing threw me off too. I found the first two RC passages to be more difficult than the last two. The first one was confusing and then the second with the ! was just like.. What.. The... Hell.... It completely messed up my reading.

The one RC passage with the "!" in it was quite actually okay for me cuz I actually knew how to pronounce that. It's a sound you make by clicking your tongue just like when you imitate a clock. :D
Also, structurally, that passage was organized in a simple manner IMO.(I wary about going into specifics from here)

fumagalli

Postby fumagalli » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:46 pm

pammie0415 wrote:I'm also thinking about cancelling and it all depends on which LG was the experimental. So far it seems that more ppl are saying the one with the voicemail and editing articles one was the real one. Can anyone else confirm this? It seems that this is really important for a few of us on this thread thinking about cancelling so any help would be greatly appreciated!! I panicked and didn't get to finished the last game so if the last LG turns out to be experimental that will be a significant score difference for me... oh god..

I think that the hard one was the real deal and that sinpo up there is lying or has been lied to or got confused or whatever. I'm putting my money on the hard one. Not that I'm happy to do so.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”