Absence/Cancel or Absence/Low Score

Ben Reilly

Absence/Cancel or Absence/Low Score

Postby Ben Reilly » Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:42 pm

Sorry for posting another one of these threads, but I need some advice here.

As you've probably realized by now, today's test went pretty poorly for me. I was scoring in the range of 165-172 on recent PTs in weeks leading up to the test, but I'm confident that I didn't fair so well on the real deal. Overall, however, I'm glad I took the test since I was able to encounter the anxiety experienced under actual testing conditions and realize where I went wrong (I wasn't as strict on simulating real testing conditions as I should have been.)

Although there's a couple of threads on this same topic in this section right now, mine differs slightly because I already have an absence on my record from the December 2010 LSAT (this was before LSAC decided that they would allow test takers to cancel the test up to the day before the exam.)

So from what I've seen, two cancellations make one seem flaky, and I can only assume that a cancellation and an absence would yield the same perception. However, I'm hoping to go to Columbia--which averages scores--so a really low score mixed with a pretty good score still wouldn't be all that great.

The question is should I cancel this test or just take the low score? Either way it goes, I have no doubt that I'm going to retake the test most likely in June/October, since I was planning on postponing law school until 2013 anyway.

Help me TLS--you're my only hope.

Ihatemylife

Re: Absence/Cancel or Absence/Low Score

Postby Ihatemylife » Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:05 am

Hey, I'm in the exact same boat comrade! Shooting for Columbia, have on cancellation under my belt, and did not do so hot on this past test. Unfortunately, I have absolutely no answers for you - and the average two scores vs. one score w/ two cancellation dilemma is a tough one - but I just want to say that I feel your pain and I wish you the best of luck. (Although, it seems to me that absence would look significantly better than a cancellation, but that's pure conjecture)

willwash

Postby willwash » Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:08 am

Don't cancel. See your score and retake in Feb if necessary. Trust the numbers--with a good addendum you can explain away your low score and most likely they'll place less weight on it. ALso by cancelling you might be throwing away a 172 like Ihatemylife did last Oct.

Ben Reilly

Postby Ben Reilly » Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:17 am

Ihatemylife wrote:Hey, I'm in the exact same boat comrade! Shooting for Columbia, have on cancellation under my belt, and did not do so hot on this past test. Unfortunately, I have absolutely no answers for you - and the average two scores vs. one score w/ two cancellation dilemma is a tough one - but I just want to say that I feel your pain and I wish you the best of luck. (Although, it seems to me that absence would look significantly better than a cancellation, but that's pure conjecture)

Well thanks very much for the response and the well wishes. This is a tough call, so I didn't expect any indisputable, straightforward answers. Good luck to you as well.

willwash wrote:Don't cancel. See your score and retake in Feb if necessary. Trust the numbers--with a good addendum you can explain away your low score and most likely they'll place less weight on it. ALso by cancelling you might be throwing away a 172 like Ihatemylife did last Oct.

Something tells me that unless my level of luck on guessing was on an astronomical level today, anything above a 165 just ain't happening. I thought about an addendum, but "I was nervous and chocked" kind of seems like a sub-par excuse. Of course, I may be wrong about that, so I can't really call it.

Then again, you're right and things made turn out better than what I predict. I'm just scared that I may score below a 160--it'll be hard to mitigate that even with a pretty good score on a retake.

willwash

Postby willwash » Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:28 am

Ben Reilly wrote:
Ihatemylife wrote:Hey, I'm in the exact same boat comrade! Shooting for Columbia, have on cancellation under my belt, and did not do so hot on this past test. Unfortunately, I have absolutely no answers for you - and the average two scores vs. one score w/ two cancellation dilemma is a tough one - but I just want to say that I feel your pain and I wish you the best of luck. (Although, it seems to me that absence would look significantly better than a cancellation, but that's pure conjecture)

Well thanks very much for the response and the well wishes. This is a tough call, so I didn't expect any indisputable, straightforward answers. Good luck to you as well.

willwash wrote:Don't cancel. See your score and retake in Feb if necessary. Trust the numbers--with a good addendum you can explain away your low score and most likely they'll place less weight on it. ALso by cancelling you might be throwing away a 172 like Ihatemylife did last Oct.

Something tells me that unless my level of luck on guessing was on an astronomical level today, anything above a 165 just ain't happening. I thought about an addendum, but "I was nervous and chocked" kind of seems like a sub-par excuse. Of course, I may be wrong about that, so I can't really call it.

Then again, you're right and things made turn out better than what I predict. I'm just scared that I may score below a 160--it'll be hard to mitigate that even with a pretty good score on a retake.

I would argue that for addendum-writing purposes a 15X followed by a 17X in Feb would be better than 16X followed by 17X. It takes something extenuating for someone 17X capable to score in the 150s.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”