Bad Proctors

jrthor10

Bad Proctors

Postby jrthor10 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:23 pm

I just figured its about time to start a new thread solely devoted to the individuals who have very little responsibility, yet mange to fuck it up on one of the biggest days of our lives. Mine haven't been too poor, although I don't understand why BOTH proctors I've had, have managed to mess up the 5 minute warning on more than 1 section (1 5 minutes early the other 3). I mean, they have NO responsibility while a section is in progress except to monitor time.

Anyways, would love to hear proctor stories--from either the Dec. administration or others. Funniest story wins my gratitude.

smith23

Re: Bad Proctors

Postby smith23 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:28 pm

I took the test today and the proctor called section 3 five minutes early. Everyone in the room told him that he called it to early but he disagreed with everyone, so we didn't get to finish that section. Two questions, what do I need to do in order to file a complaint and has anyone else had this happen. If you have what happened to your score. Did they or you cancel it, or did you just accept the score.

ben4847

Postby ben4847 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:41 pm

smith23 wrote:I took the test today and the proctor called section 3 five minutes early. Everyone in the room told him that he called it to early but he disagreed with everyone, so we didn't get to finish that section. Two questions, what do I need to do in order to file a complaint and has anyone else had this happen. If you have what happened to your score. Did they or you cancel it, or did you just accept the score.

Wow. That is really bad. I would have killed the proctor, and what a C&F addendum that would have made.

smith23

Postby smith23 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:15 pm

Yeah I difinitely wanted to kill this guy, these people did not have their shit together. I was also getting pissed that they started checking people in at 830am but we didn't start the actual test until 10am. I've never taken a test before but I thought it was a little strange that it took so long to strat the test. Is this normal?

chasgoose

Postby chasgoose » Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:23 pm

smith23 wrote:Yeah I difinitely wanted to kill this guy, these people did not have their shit together. I was also getting pissed that they started checking people in at 830am but we didn't start the actual test until 10am. I've never taken a test before but I thought it was a little strange that it took so long to strat the test. Is this normal?

Last year I took the test at UCLA and the proctors started letting us in at 8:15 but we didn't start the actual test until around 10:30...We would have started around 10-10:15 (which is still ridiculous), but there was a near riot when people asked to leave the room to go to the bathroom (because they didn't realize that we wouldn't be starting for 2 hours) and there was an annoyingly long argument that ultimately led to no one being allowed to go to the bathroom because obviously. It was an absolute nightmare.

ngogirl

Postby ngogirl » Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:30 pm

my proctor was hard core, scared the hell out of me..

Mr.Binks

Postby Mr.Binks » Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:31 pm

ben4847 wrote:
smith23 wrote:I took the test today and the proctor called section 3 five minutes early. Everyone in the room told him that he called it to early but he disagreed with everyone, so we didn't get to finish that section. Two questions, what do I need to do in order to file a complaint and has anyone else had this happen. If you have what happened to your score. Did they or you cancel it, or did you just accept the score.

Wow. That is really bad. I would have killed the proctor, and what a C&F addendum that would have made.

Holy shit. I wanted to kill ours because he was a douche when we complained that the desks were too small (they didn't even fit the entire booklet, much less both answer sheet and booklet). Man, that's awful... Sorry, mate.

ThreeRivers

Postby ThreeRivers » Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:44 pm

To anyone in Western PA, Washington and Jefferson college proctors / test center is truly great. They've had same proctors last 17 years and they take their job pretty seriously (not in a hardcore kick everyone out sense, but in no issues come about), huge desks spread far apart, break group into different rooms of only 15 ppl, etc..

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:32 am

ThreeRivers wrote:To anyone in Western PA, Washington and Jefferson college proctors / test center is truly great. They've had same proctors last 17 years and they take their job pretty seriously (not in a hardcore kick everyone out sense, but in no issues come about), huge desks spread far apart, break group into different rooms of only 15 ppl, etc..

same with Ball State U just northeast of Indy

BenU

Postby BenU » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:24 am

I took it at northern virginia community college, and I thought they did a good job. Plenty of space, the desks were tables, and they ran on time. Honestly they couldn't have done a better job.

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:57 am

If you have a legitimate complaint about a proctor issue such as actually be shorted time for a section, file a formal complaint with LSAC according to the procedures.

If the proctor was a little bit off on when the five minute warning was given but 35 minutes was still allowed for the section you have no basis for a complaint. You are allowed to bring a watch to keep time yourself.

If the proctor keeping time in the room did actually mess up and short the room of the full 35 minutes for a section, that is a different story. LSAC investigates every formal test center problem/complaint including communicating with the proctor(s) about what happened. If several students that were in the same room submit formal complaints about time being called early and/or if the proctor(s) admit to LSAC they messed up then you probably will be offered a remedy. If just one student complains and the proctor(s) deny it, then most likely you will be SOL.

Keep in mind, as described below in the LSAC policy, if you file a formal written test center complaint, your score will be put on hold pending the investigation. That means that if you decide to just keep the score, if that is an option (meaning they don't invalidate the scores of everyone that took it in that room due to determining there was a serious test center problem), your score will most likely be released later than normal release by days or perhaps a week or more.

The typical remedy LSAC has been offering in the past for insignificant/minor test center issues/legitimate complaints if they determine there was in fact one is to offer you a free re-take at a later administration if you opt to cancel and/or give you the option to just keep the score.

Also FYI, the proctors have to go through and do much more paperwork and fill out many more forms than test takers. Their job involves much more than just sitting there keeping an eye on a clock and calling time for the sections.

http://www.lsac.org/policies/test-cente ... licies.asp

Policies Related to Test Center Problems/Complaints

LSAC administers the LSAT at hundreds of locations around the world. Although LSAC staff and local test supervisors (who are not LSAC employees) make every effort to provide a suitable test-taking environment, LSAC cannot guarantee that conditions will be optimal at all testing sites. In no case will LSAC be held responsible for test-center conditions beyond its control. If you encounter a problem during the test administration, report it to the test center supervisor; however, informing the test center supervisor is not sufficient. You must also follow up your complaint by writing with your signature to:

LSAC
662 Penn Street
PO BOX 2000-T
Newtown, PA 18940
USA

Fax: 215.968.1277
E-mail: LSACinfo@LSAC.org

Your complaint must be received by LSAC within six calendar days after the administration via fax, letter, or e-mail. It is your responsibility to keep proof of LSAC's receipt of your complaint (i.e., a fax transmittal report); however, no such proof will be accepted beyond 14 calendar days after the test. Indicate "Test Center Complaint" in the subject line and include your name, address, LSAC account number, the last four digits of your Social Security/Social Insurance number, the test center name, and the building or room in which you were tested, if known. Be aware that the availability of your LSAT score may be delayed pending the review of your complaint.

smith23

Postby smith23 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:04 am

I have read that if you do file a complaint and they find that it is a legitimate complaint, they will offer two options. The first is they will let you retake the LSAT for free and cancel your score. The second is that you can keep the score and they will put something in your file stating there was a testing discrepancy. Does anyone know if I do elect to cancel my score and retake, will it count as one of my three attempts since it was their fault that I had to cancel my score. If anyone could help me out with this I would appreciate it.

thelong

Postby thelong » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:12 am

Also, be forewarned. I did file a complaint in October over a proctor calling time five minutes early on the first section. I received the two options stated above. However, your account is put on hold until they conclude investigating the issue and you return your choice of options, which meant that I didn't receive my score until a week after everyone else did.

smith23

Postby smith23 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:21 am

I'm not really worried about the score, I just want to know if they will count it as one of my three attempts. I feel like after that happened I really couldn't concentrate because I was so pissed, which caused me not to be able to focus on the rest of the test.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”