Violation: should I cancel Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
beargrylls

New

Violation: should I cancel

Post by beargrylls » Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:51 pm

Hi,

I took the lsat today and I'm french. I'm not fluent in english. When the supervisor call the end of my section I continue to fill in the box on my answer sheet because I didnt not understand that was the end. I specify on my answer sheet that I'm not a fluent english speaker. Honestely when I realize it was the end (like 2 seconds later) I stopped filling in the box.

Do you know, if I cancel my score, if the report will be cancelled and not showed to the law schools as well.

Do you know if I can take the lsat again in february whereas I have this report.

Thank you.

Jack Smirks

Silver

Re: Violation: should I cancel

Post by Jack Smirks » Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:53 pm

Did the proctor actually tell you you were in violation or did he/she just give you a warning?
Last edited by Jack Smirks on Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:54 pm

beargrylls wrote:Hi,

I took the lsat today and I'm french. I'm not fluent in english. When the supervisor call the end of my section I continue to fill in the box on my answer sheet because I didnt not understand that was the end. I specify on my answer sheet that I'm not a fluent english speaker. Honestely when I realize it was the end (like 2 seconds later) I stopped filling in the box.

Do you know, if I cancel my score, if the report will be cancelled and not showed to the law schools as well.

Do you know if I can take the lsat again in february whereas I have this report.

Thank you.
Your misconduct will be accompanied on all of your applications, unfortunately. However, if you write a solid addendum, it probably won't kill you

beargrylls

New

Post by beargrylls » Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:59 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
beargrylls wrote:Hi,

Thank you.
Your misconduct will be accompanied on all of your applications, unfortunately. However, if you write a solid addendum, it probably won't kill you

Even if I cancel my score?

The supervisor gave me a gold paper, its a report.

Mce252

Silver

Post by Mce252 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:07 pm

I would imagine that cancelling your score only cancels your score. The violation probably hangs around regardless of what you do.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

beargrylls

New

Post by beargrylls » Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:10 pm

Do you know if I can send a reclamation explaining my situation to have this report cancel.

Do you also know if some schools (especially cardozo law school) accepts february lsat score ?

Mce252

Silver

Post by Mce252 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:11 pm

Copied from http://www.lsac.org/JD/apply/misconduct ... rities.asp

Misconduct and Irregularities in the Admission Process
The Law School Admission Council has established procedures for dealing with instances of possible candidate misconduct or irregularities on the LSAT or in the law school admission process. Misconduct or irregularity in the admission process is a serious offense with serious consequences. Intent is not an element of a finding of misconduct or irregularity. This means that an "honest mistake" is not a defense to a charge of misconduct or irregularity. Misconduct or irregularity is defined as the submission, as part of the law school admission process, including, but not limited to, regular, transfer, and visiting applications, of any information that is false, inconsistent, or misleading, or the omission of information that may result in a false or misleading conclusion, or the violation of any regulation governing the law school admission process, including any violation of LSAT test center regulations.

Examples of misconduct and irregularities include, but are not limited to:

•submission of false, inconsistent, or misleading statements or omission of information requested online or on forms as part of registering for the LSAT or using LSAC's Credential Assembly Service, or on individual law school application forms;
•submission of an altered or a nonauthentic transcript;
•submission of an application containing false, inconsistent, or misleading information;
•submission of an altered, nonauthentic, or unauthorized letter of recommendation;
•falsification of records;
•impersonation of another in taking the LSAT;
•switching of LSAT answer sheets with another;
•taking the LSAT for purposes other than applying to law school;
•copying on, or other forms of cheating on, the LSAT;
•obtaining advance access to test materials;
•theft of test materials;
working on, marking, erasing, reading, or turning pages on sections of the LSAT during unauthorized times;
•bringing prohibited items into the test room;
•falsification of transcript information, school attendance, honors, awards, or employment;
•providing false, inconsistent, or misleading information in the admission and financial aid/scholarship application process; or
•attempt at any of the above.
A charge of misconduct or irregularity may be made prior to a candidate's admission to law school, after matriculation at a law school, or after admission to practice.

When alleged misconduct or irregularity brings into question the validity of the LSAC data about a candidate, the school may be notified of possible data error, and transmission of LSAT scores and academic summary reports will be withheld until the matter has been resolved by the Law School Admission Council's Misconduct and Irregularities in the Admission Process Subcommittee. The Council will investigate all instances of alleged misconduct or irregularities in the admission process in accordance with the LSAC Rules Governing Misconduct and Irregularities in the Admission Process (PDF). A subcommittee representative will determine whether misconduct or an irregularity has occurred. If the subcommittee representative determines that a preponderance of the evidence shows misconduct or irregularity, then a report of the determination is sent to all law schools to which the individual has applied, subsequently applies, or has matriculated. Notation that a misconduct or irregularity report is on file is also included on LSAT and Credential Assembly Service reports to law schools. Such reports are retained indefinitely. More information regarding misconduct and irregularity procedures may be obtained by writing to:

LSAC
Misconduct and Irregularities in the Admission Process Subcommittee
662 Penn Street
Newtown PA 18940-0040
USA

For additional information, see our Misconduct and Irregularities in the Admission Process FAQ.

Get Adobe Reader to view PDFs indicated on this site by (PDF)
Last edited by Mce252 on Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:12 pm

beargrylls wrote:Do you know if I can send a reclamation explaining my situation to have this report cancel.

Do you also know if some schools (especially cardozo law school) accepts february lsat score ?
you can appeal to LSAC. I don't know if you'll have much luck, especially with as tenuous an excuse as yours. I'm not saying I don't believe you, but I think that it's going to be tough to prove something like that to LSAC.

Also, a ton of schools, especially T2s accept February scores.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:13 pm

He's not disputing that he did something against the rules, but that what he did was unintentional

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Mce252

Silver

Post by Mce252 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:14 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
He's not disputing that he did something against the rules, but that what he did was unintentional

One of the first sentences in what I posted includes:

"Intent is not an element of a finding of misconduct or irregularity. This means that an "honest mistake" is not a defense to a charge of misconduct or irregularity."

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:17 pm

Mce252 wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:

One of the first sentences in what I posted includes:

"Intent is not an element of a finding of misconduct or irregularity. This means that an "honest mistake" is not a defense to a charge of misconduct or irregularity."
OK, I thought you were just referring to the bolded sentence. I agree that LSAC will probably not grant his wish, though schools may be a little more lenient

beargrylls

New

Post by beargrylls » Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:17 pm

In fact I do not fill in after the end of the section was called but when the end of the section was called?

Does it make any difference?

Also, I was in front of the supervisor, they were talking all the test long, it was very disturbing, do you know if I can do something?

Mce252

Silver

Post by Mce252 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:20 pm

Your best bet is to look at that website I posted and make any requests for information in writing.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

beargrylls

New

Post by beargrylls » Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:22 pm

So you are sure that cancelling my score will not cancell this report?

Do you know when the comitee will meet? Because I need to send them an explation of my misconduct before they meet.

Mce252

Silver

Post by Mce252 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:26 pm

I'm not 100 percent sure, but it doesn't seem like misconduct violations are connected to your score in any way. You need to get on the phone with someone at LSAC and find out all the relevant information. I don't know the answer to your questions and I wouldn't rely on any informaton outside of what LSAC gives you.

beargrylls

New

Post by beargrylls » Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:32 pm

Thank you very much.

I will ask lsac then.

Can someone help to write the letter to lsac because its hard for me to write it in english. I think I will make some mistakes if I write it alone and it will not be good for me.

Mce252

Silver

Post by Mce252 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:34 pm

Why do you want to attend an American law school when you don't feel comfortable writing in English?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:39 pm

Mce252 wrote:Why do you want to attend an American law school when you don't feel comfortable writing in English?
No kidding.

OP, you do realize that law school is basically ALL reading and writing in English, right? And the writing has to be basically perfect?

beargrylls

New

Post by beargrylls » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:55 pm

I want to be admitted in a semi french course and as an international student.

But that's not the question.

Do you know if I can retake the lsat in february whereas I have this viiolation report?

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:53 am

beargrylls wrote:I want to be admitted in a semi french course and as an international student.

But that's not the question.

Do you know if I can retake the lsat in february whereas I have this viiolation report?
unfortunately, you cannot get out of this being reported by cancelling

beargrylls

New

Post by beargrylls » Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:02 am

I just want to take the february LSAT, do you know if I can do it whereas I have this report?

I just wonder if this report can "block" me from taking another LSAT.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:33 pm

OP: Are you applying to McGill ?

beargrylls

New

Post by beargrylls » Sun Dec 04, 2011 2:58 pm

No I'm not why?

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:02 pm

beargrylls wrote:I just want to take the february LSAT, do you know if I can do it whereas I have this report?

I just wonder if this report can "block" me from taking another LSAT.
no, you can still take it with a report.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:27 pm

McGill doesn't require an LSAT score unless you have one. Since you mentioned studying a French law program, I thought McGill might be one of your targeted law schools since McGill requires proficiency in written French. This, presumably, would make canceling a wise decision.
In my opinion, if you are not going to contest the infraction/testing violation notice, then canceling makes sense in an attempt to render the issue moot. This could also show that you do not want any appearance of impropriety regarding your test score.
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”