Reading comprehension timing question Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
170hopeful

New

Reading comprehension timing question

Post by 170hopeful » Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:32 pm

Hey all,

If i'm struggling with getting through all four passages on the exam, should I attempt the passages in order by whichever has the highest question count? I usually finish a third passage with a meager 4-5 minutes left, which leaves me with really no time to attack the questions the way i'd like to. Anyone have any good strategies for attacking this?

RCinDNA

Bronze

Re: Reading comprehension timing question

Post by RCinDNA » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:36 pm

My best scores were accomplished by attacking the passages with the most questions first, doing the comparative reading third and then doing the passage with the least questions. Everyone is different but I find that it's easier to answer 5 questions with 4 or 5 minutes then it is to answer 8.

timeless

New

Post by timeless » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:50 pm

My strategy is first two passages in 15:00, third one by 25:00 at the latest and have 10+ minutes for the Last one. If the last one is 5 question reading you would be more at ease time wise, but even if it is 8 question reading, it shouldnt be too bad. In order for this to work well, you really have to kill all the gimme and mid level difficulty questions ASAP and if you feel that you may miss the alloted timing schedule, star the question you skip and move onto the next passages. The chances are that if you are 170+ scorer and you have to struggle with some questions, they are designed to trick you regardless of the time input. Granted, some question can make you feel "oh only if i had a bit more time..." but stay cool and star it for later. If you miss timing, the next reading will be even more daunting, and this vicious cycle can potentially devour you up.

As for attacking the 8 question ones first...I tried it but i didnt like it. You may like it and others may...Just a personal thing. My reason is that passages with more questions tend to be harder. If you start the section, lets say, from the 3rd or 4th passage simply on the basis of its # of questions but they are hard ass ones (imagine starting off your RC with fractals, riddled basins, maize, Noguchi, geology mofo in PT 63....shit so painful to even list them), you are not only gna kill your confidence but also 5 or so minutes at the least of your precious time reading, attempting some questions, and regretting. With an exception of PT 63, first two passages have tended to be on the easier side of things. Kill them, and go into the harder 3rd and 4th passages confident that you have already put the necessary points in your bag by that point.

Hope this helps

GL!

lsacqueen

Bronze

Post by lsacqueen » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:31 pm

+1 to above poster. If only I had read this or had a timing strategy BEFORE today's test.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”