Chances of getting extended time Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
89vision

Bronze

Chances of getting extended time

Post by 89vision » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:46 pm

I have bipolar 1, registered with my UG for disability services (which include extended time). Documentation is not an issue. What is the likliehood of LSAC granting me a request for more time? Is it worthwhile? Doesn't LSAC put an * next to your score if you get accomodations? Would that hurt you?

penguinbrah

New

Re: Chances of getting extended time

Post by penguinbrah » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:01 pm

i was wondering about this also... i have been diagnosed with adhd.. but was not sure if i should try and apply for disability because i don't want my score to be undermined if i get extra time

Nancy_Botwin

New

Post by Nancy_Botwin » Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:03 pm

I don't know a lot about actually being granted extra time, but I do remember reading that the scores for "extra time" tests aren't averaged with the other LSATs and the law schools do see that you received extra time. It's somewhere on the LSAC website but I don't remember where. Hope this helps! I have severe panic/anxiety disorder so if things don't go so well with tomorrow's test, I'm thinking about asking for extra time in June.

89vision

Bronze

Post by 89vision » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:24 pm

Nancy_Botwin wrote:I don't know a lot about actually being granted extra time, but I do remember reading that the scores for "extra time" tests aren't averaged with the other LSATs and the law schools do see that you received extra time. It's somewhere on the LSAC website but I don't remember where. Hope this helps! I have severe panic/anxiety disorder so if things don't go so well with tomorrow's test, I'm thinking about asking for extra time in June.
Selling pot is probably not the best profession for you if you have a lot of anxiety.

But on a serious note: Hm...I will see how I do first. If I don't do well, I'll try for extended time in Feb. or June. I have concentration/attention span issues, but hopefully I get through it without day dreaming. That 5th section makes me bitter.

Nancy_Botwin

New

Post by Nancy_Botwin » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:26 pm

89vision wrote:
Nancy_Botwin wrote:I don't know a lot about actually being granted extra time, but I do remember reading that the scores for "extra time" tests aren't averaged with the other LSATs and the law schools do see that you received extra time. It's somewhere on the LSAC website but I don't remember where. Hope this helps! I have severe panic/anxiety disorder so if things don't go so well with tomorrow's test, I'm thinking about asking for extra time in June.
Selling pot is probably not the best profession for you if you have a lot of anxiety.

But on a serious note: Hm...I will see how I do first. If I don't do well, I'll try for extended time in Feb. or June. I have concentration/attention span issues, but hopefully I get through it without day dreaming. That 5th section makes me bitter.
I was totally confused about the pot comment at first lol. Nancy_Botwin isn't my usual username ;)

I think if you have a documented (by a doctor, recognized by the AMA) getting extended time could still be hit-or-miss knowing the LSAC. Best of luck to all of you!

But yeah, the 5th section is evil. The written essay is a joke that should be eliminated completely.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

revahp00

New

Post by revahp00 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 12:17 pm

pretty sure i remember reading something on LSAC website about LSAC notifying your prospective law schools that your score "should be interpreted with extreme caution and sensibility." douche move.

89vision

Bronze

Post by 89vision » Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:04 pm

revahp00 wrote:pretty sure i remember reading something on LSAC website about LSAC notifying your prospective law schools that your score "should be interpreted with extreme caution and sensibility." douche move.
Exactly why I haven't tried to get extended time. My PTs were solid, but I can not concentrate through 5 sections. Today I was thinking about a million unrelated things during the test, ugh. ADD meds are a horrible option, so extended time is the only thing I'd try for now. My undergrad isn't sending out an "interpret with caution" addendum on my transcript, I don't think LSAC should, considering you have to have a dr's approval. If you didn't need a dr's letter, I could understand their policy. Mental health is not treated as it should be.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”