What should I do? :(

Maninthebox711

What should I do? :(

Postby Maninthebox711 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:01 am

I took the LSAT last year and it turned out to be a disaster. I was sick, the person behind me had a cough and our proctor for one of the sections told us there was 5 minutes left then a bit later said she made a mistake and that there was actually 15 minutes left...so I cancelled it thinking I would take it this year. My father who has had heart conditions all his life began to have problems at the beginning of this year and has had to have numerous surgeries and hasn't been able to drive so I've been driving him around to appointments and such. That coupled with work didn't allow for much time for studying. Things were improving so I scheduled test but now problems reoccurred and my father is in the hospital again. The date to cancel the test has obviously long passed and I'm not sure what to do. I know law schools don't like two cancelled scores but I just don't feel I'm in the right place mentally to do the best I can. Does anyone have any advice?

law chihuahua

Re: What should I do? :(

Postby law chihuahua » Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:37 am

I think you can still withdraw on LSAC. You can't get a refund, but I don't think it shows up on your record. Check the deadline for that, and if you can it might be better to do that than have 2 cancels in a row. I'm sorry to hear about your situation. The LSAT and law school can wait, so get back at it when you have less on your plate, OP.

osgiliath

Postby osgiliath » Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:20 am

You can still withdraw - the day before the test is the deadline for this. You will not get any money back, but law schools will never even see that you were even signed up for this test date.

Mr.Binks

Postby Mr.Binks » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:13 am

osgiliath wrote:You can still withdraw - the day before the test is the deadline for this. You will not get any money back, but law schools will never even see that you were even signed up for this test date.

+1
If it works for you, withdraw and sit out a cycle. Begin studying in February and take the LSAT in June (summer). Perhaps you can get some sort of work experience while you're waiting.

patrickj11288

Postby patrickj11288 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:13 pm

I decided to take the lsat october of 2010 (first semester of my senior year) 2 months after my dad had passed away from cancer. Due to those issues, work, and school I without a doubt took the test unprepared so I cancelled. I then signed up to take it December of 2010. At thanksgiving I was told that my Grandfather had developed cancer so again I found myself unprepared come december and had to cancel. Finally I decided to take some time off finish up my senior year and then apply during the next cycle. It was was the best decision I could have made. I did well enough, not great, on the lsat to get into the school I want to go to, but more importantly Ive really improved my resume. I participated in some awesome law oriented volunteer positions, am currently clerking at a firm, and will be working as an intern at the state house next semester. My advice is to not rush this, take as much time as you can, get your family issues in order and do as well as you think you can. Plus there is no reason to hurry with the economy still so bad. Good luck.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”