yikes!

illegalalienfrommars

yikes!

Postby illegalalienfrommars » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:01 pm

two days before the Dec LSAT, I fell down the stairs and looks like I have sprained my ankle.
Dont know how it would look on Saturday morning :( Does anyone know if the test center will allow me to take crutches, and whether they will be able to provide me an additional chair for leg support?

Nancy_Botwin

Re: yikes!

Postby Nancy_Botwin » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:28 pm

Major suck :( I hope it's not anything too serious. When I took the LSAT in Feb. 2010, I saw a girl on crutches. I'm sure they would let crutches into the testing center. I sincerely hope the LSAC isn't cruel enough to make you hop on one leg to your seat. I would call the LSAC tomorrow to ask about the chair thing but I would say don't worry about it :)

3v3ryth1ng

Postby 3v3ryth1ng » Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:43 am

illegalalienfrommars wrote:two days before the Dec LSAT, I fell down the stairs and looks like I have sprained my ankle.
Dont know how it would look on Saturday morning :( Does anyone know if the test center will allow me to take crutches, and whether they will be able to provide me an additional chair for leg support?

You are disabled. By law they have to provide access for people in wheelchairs, and I'd be willing to bet this extends to people on crutches. Believe it or not, they must, by law, accommodate people with learning disabilities too (if they actually need it).

According to their site, you must let them know in advance and provide documentation of these conditions. Not sure if anyone has ever fussed about it, but you should probably take a doctor's note with you just to make life easier. Based on the widely-known law I'm linking to below though, the LSAC refusing to administer your test because you require crutches for walking sounds like they're denying you the opportunity to participate in society based on your disability. Unless they can come up with a convincing reason why your crutches would compromise the testing environment, they would be violating the law.

As far as the extra chair for your leg, do you have a doctor's note?

http://www.ada.gov/pubs/adastatute08markscrdr.htm

HellOnHeels

Postby HellOnHeels » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:56 am

i woke up this morning with a cold. i wonder how many tissues i can fit into my ziploc baggie with a bottle of water, pencils and pencil sharpener, and id. :cry:

willwash

Postby willwash » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:46 am

3v3ryth1ng wrote:
illegalalienfrommars wrote:two days before the Dec LSAT, I fell down the stairs and looks like I have sprained my ankle.

You are disabled. By law they have to provide access for people in wheelchairs, and I'd be willing to bet this extends to people on crutches. Believe it or not, they must, by law, accommodate people with learning disabilities too (if they actually need it).

Yeah, but then they put that dreaded "tester received special accomodation" addendum in your test report.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:57 am

willwash wrote:Yeah, but then they put that dreaded "tester received special accomodation" addendum in your test report.

Yeah, but then you're one addendum away from explaining that completely.

Nancy_Botwin

Postby Nancy_Botwin » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:27 pm

willwash wrote:
3v3ryth1ng wrote:

Yeah, but then they put that dreaded "tester received special accomodation" addendum in your test report.

I thought "special consideration" only really applied to extra time, a braille test, etc. -- Not having an extra chair to rest your ankle.

Jeffort

Postby Jeffort » Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:30 am

OP, I hope you called LSAC yesterday or today to get clarification and hopefully an a-ok out of them since the published policies don't say anything about this type of situation.

If not or if LSAC didn't give a clear answer, then you are at the mercy of the test center supervisor/proctors. I've heard of instances where proctors have let people with a recent injury/temporary physical impairment have an extra chair to prop up a leg and also where they let somebody that recently hurt their back bring in a pillow for support. However, I've also heard of instances where people with a fresh injury were denied such things. I doubt they will refuse entry with crutches and a bandaged up ankle.

Bring official notes/documents from the doctor/medical facility and be really nice when explaining the situation to the test center supervisor at check in. The decision tomorrow is up to their discretion.

Good luck!

PS: if you are on pain killers and/or other meds for the injury that may impair cognitive function, it may not be a good idea to take the test. After I injured my shoulder and was on an NSAID (anti-inflammatory drug naprosyn) for a while it made me groggy and slowed down my thinking.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”