Powerscore or Blueprint?? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
thomasjmai22

New

Powerscore or Blueprint??

Post by thomasjmai22 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:28 pm

So I have decided that I am going to take a prep class, but I cannot decide between Powerscore or Blueprint. I have all the Powerscore Bibles already, but I wonder if trying Blueprint will give me a better outlook and strategy on the material. Has anyone taken courses from either companies?

Gold

Re: Powerscore or Blueprint??

Post by 20130312 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:32 pm

TestMasters

thomasjmai22

New

Post by thomasjmai22 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:35 pm

Have you taken a class with them before or are they just more reputable?

gaud

Platinum

Post by gaud » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:36 pm

You should also check out Manhattan LSAT

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:39 pm

I took a class with them. Conventional wisdom on TLS is to study yourself and save the money, but I found it really helpful. Improved my score 12 points over the course of two months.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

thomasjmai22

New

Post by thomasjmai22 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:44 pm

Yea, I just saw their 10pt. guarantee on their website. 12 pts. is a nice improvement for two months. I think I may try that out instead of the Powerscore or Blueprint. Manhattan I have just recently heard of, but I am unaware of how successful they are.

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:48 pm

thomasjmai22 wrote:Yea, I just saw their 10pt. guarantee on their website. 12 pts. is a nice improvement for two months. I think I may try that out instead of the Powerscore or Blueprint. Manhattan I have just recently heard of, but I am unaware of how successful they are.
If you do go TestMasters, make sure you sign up on the actual website, not the fraud. Good luck!

thomasjmai22

New

Post by thomasjmai22 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:57 pm

Wow, thanks a lot! I was on the wrong site.

neeko

Silver

Post by neeko » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:16 pm

Blueprint.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

thomasjmai22

New

Post by thomasjmai22 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:43 pm

Have you taken a Blueprint prep course?

neeko

Silver

Post by neeko » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:44 pm

thomasjmai22 wrote:Have you taken a Blueprint prep course?
Yes, I took it. I did the online one. It's worth it.

thomasjmai22

New

Post by thomasjmai22 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:10 pm

Are they live and interactive or are they pre-recorded videos? Testmasters seems to send you books and pre-recorded videos from what the rep just told me online. I don't care for that too much. I want it to be live so I can inquire about specific parts of the LSAT that give me trouble. What was you increase?

neeko

Silver

Post by neeko » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:15 pm

They are Prerecorded but you can email them whenever you have a question and they help you. It's nice that way because you can stop and start whenever. I self studied first, but that wasn't working. I bought it a month or so before the June test but took it anyway even though I wasn't really ready. 161. I went and finished all the material and got a 167 in October.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

thomasjmai22

New

Post by thomasjmai22 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:24 pm

I think that's why I like Powerscore because it is live, but that is convenient to stop and start any time since my schedule is retarded right now. I also wanted to try a different method since I studies with Powerscore Bibles. What did you start with (score) before the course? I am looking to jump to 160 from 150 in two months for the Feb. test.

neeko

Silver

Post by neeko » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:31 pm

I didn't really take any timed tests before I studied because I could get around 0 right in games and LR wasn't much better. RC is a crapshoot for me no matter what. If I had to guess I would say I would have been in the 150 or so range before studying, but maybe even lower. I was really bad at everything in the beginning.

thomasjmai22

New

Post by thomasjmai22 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:39 pm

That's quite an improvement and exactly what I need right now. I watch all the free videos on all the companies' websites and Blueprint is quite different since they use visuals. It reminds me of Rosetta Stone. Blueprint is one to def consider it seems.

thomasjmai22

New

Post by thomasjmai22 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:39 pm

Did you purchase the movie or on demand course?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

neeko

Silver

Post by neeko » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:36 pm

I had the movie.

Jake5

New

Post by Jake5 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:38 pm

Testmasters for sure... I improved 16 points

oscarlegrouch

New

Post by oscarlegrouch » Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:49 am

All these people saying "take this one; I improved x number of points" obviously didn't learn TOO much about logic or they'd be more helpful. As I'm sure you know, someone else's score increase likely has no bearing on yours.

Unfortunately (well, fortunately for me, but less helpfully for you), I've only taken the live Blueprint course, but I can tell you about that. I took it in New York and was extremely impressed with my instructor (Colin). Blueprint's philosophy is to make the LSAT more interesting, and to that end, they really emphasize that their instructors include humor. I didn't dread going to class or anything; my instructor made it pretty interesting and as enjoyable as the LSAT can be. Also, when you take a Blueprint class you're getting every real LSAT question ever released, which made me more confident about the real test because I had so much experience with real LSAT questions.

When you take the live course, you get access to online video explanations of most homework and PT questions. (You also get access to these things with the online course, but I haven't seen the lesson videos for the online course, so I can only talk about the answer explanations.) Based on these explanations, I'm not sure I would have purchased the online course. The explanations are a little cheesy and the pace was a little slow for me. However, the overall organization of the Blueprint materials is very good.

I hope this information is helpful for you! To provide a baseline, my diagnostic was 164 and my score on the October LSAT was a 178; I worked really hard to study for the LSAT and Blueprint helped facilitate that. Based on my experience with the live course, I'd highly recommend Blueprint; however, I can't speak to Powerscore's class.

agalang

New

Post by agalang » Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:09 am

DEF Blueprint!

I took the online Blueprint course this past summer and I have nothing but good things to say about it. A lot of people pay the extra $$$ because they say, "Well, the only way I'm gonna study is by taking the in-class version so it FORCES me to study" but honestly, the online blueprint course is not only CHEAPER but better than the class option, in my opinion. I sat it on one of the Blueprint class sessions and my online course was wayyy better, I got to work at my own pace and it's taught by the founders of Blueprint who are not only awesome instructors but HILARIOUS! I often found myself laughing when I was watching the videos! The content between the online course and in class are completely the same but the quality of the course really REALLY depends on the instructor. My friend was not happy with her BP in class experience so she ended up purchasing the online course afterward. Blueprint uses hilarious (sometimes hilariously crude) examples to demonstrate their methods and it makes it all the more enjoyable. (I mean come on, using the Jersey Shore cast to illustrate sufficient/necessary conditions? Doesn't get much better than that!) PLUS, I loved being able to watch the videos at my leisure and was able to move at my own pace, pausing if necessary. In class it seemed like the instructor was always rushing to finish in time which meant that the last section covered at the end of class (usually logic games) was always rushed. Blueprint FTW! Raised by score by 10+ points and it helped me to get into my dream school - Boalt Hall! Just found out recently! Lemme know if you have any more questions :)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

anela00

Bronze

Post by anela00 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:23 am

I'm taking the online Blueprint the Movie and I can't say enough good things about it. The material is very well laid-out and explained, I love being able to stop the videos and listen again if I don't understand something, and, as many people above have noted, the course is entertaining. I LOVE having their StudyBuddy available that I can email questions to whenever. I've already emailed him 109 times since the beginning of the course, and he always responds within 1-2 days! When you compare prices and quality of material, Blueprint the Movie wins hands down (in my humble opinion, anyway). I'm taking the February test so I can't attest to a score increase yet, but let's just say I'm hoping to go from a 149 (yeek) to 170+. I have a couple more months to study and I'm pretty confident that I can do it.

One more thing I forgot to mention. Another reason Blueprint is such a great value is that buying the course covers you for two LSAT administrations. This is great if you're aiming for one date but then end up feeling not ready and push back to the next date (you don't have to fork out another $800 to continue to have online access), or if you work full-time (like me) and need to spread out your studying.

sabrinasinser

New

Post by sabrinasinser » Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:00 pm

The only Blueprint videos worth watching are these ones. And they're free. :lol:

http://www.blueprintblues.info

LSHopeful91

New

Post by LSHopeful91 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:09 pm

Testmasters Course, but supplement with Powerscore Bibles.

fashiongirl

Bronze

Post by fashiongirl » Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:11 pm

I took Testmasters (hated it) and Blueprint's classroom course with the video supplements. Amazing course from start to finish. My teacher was amazing, materials and techniques were great, video and audio explanations were awesome, workshops and timing exercises were very helpful - overall the best LSAT experience I could have asked for. Let me know if you have questions.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”