Typical decrease from PT to test day? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
dba415

New

Typical decrease from PT to test day?

Post by dba415 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:48 pm

This fact is making me nervous. I am literally at or 1 pt below my goal for the LSAT but learning that most people typically perform LOWER on their actual test than during PT is making me apprehensive. I really can't afford that at all.

Is this true?

xChiTowNx

Bronze

Re: Typical decrease from PT to test day?

Post by xChiTowNx » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:43 pm

It happens, but according to LSAC trends most people who retake stay stagnant or are within the 1-2 point band. I was worrying about this two, but then realized that going into test day, worrying about the decrease or increase isn't gonna get me that 180 - i've put in the work to score as best as I can, and so it will be my performance alone that will dictate how well I score on test day.

calidancer2

Bronze

Post by calidancer2 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:57 pm

I think it definitely has some truth to it, but there's also people that score like 5 points higher. It's rare, but it happens.

and Chitown- true about the retakers. I'm in fact only hoping or 1 extra point (of course, more would be better, but the 1 point increase from 169 to 170 feels like the biggest difference out of the whole 120-180 band!)

lawschool899

Bronze

Post by lawschool899 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:58 pm

I PTed at a high of 168. I got a 171 on my LSAT. You'd be surprised but sometimes being in that test setting actually helps you focus and concentrate :) Good luck!

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:13 pm

lawschool899 wrote:I PTed at a high of 168. I got a 171 on my LSAT. You'd be surprised but sometimes being in that test setting actually helps you focus and concentrate :) Good luck!
+1, I went up two points from my highest PT

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

iamrobk

Bronze

Post by iamrobk » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:19 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
lawschool899 wrote:I PTed at a high of 168. I got a 171 on my LSAT. You'd be surprised but sometimes being in that test setting actually helps you focus and concentrate :) Good luck!
+1, I went up two points from my highest PT
I also went up a point from my best PT's (I hit 170 a few times, then got a 171 in October).

bayreuth

New

Post by bayreuth » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:25 pm

I heard from a Kaplan teacher that the average is a fall of 6 points from your PTs to test day.

noleknight16

Silver

Post by noleknight16 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:32 pm

bayreuth wrote:I heard from a Kaplan teacher that the average is a fall of 6 points from your PTs to test day.
That only applies if you use Kaplan, because they suck.

srrrrh

Bronze

Post by srrrrh » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:09 pm

my PT high was a 179; average of about 175-176. diagnostic was a 166 and on the october test i got a 167. looking over it i made a ton of really obvious mistakes and if i hadn't been as flustered i'm sure i would have done at least 6-7 points better, but yeah :/ now for saturday i'm just hoping that i improve at all, even if it's just by one point. i've never done poorly on any sort of test, standardized or otherwise, due to nerves so i was really shocked tbh..i used to be a competitive swimmer too and nerves/anxiety was never a problem before meets or anything either. so i don't know what happened really!
Last edited by srrrrh on Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:27 pm

I think most people should have some idea of how they'll perform, based on past life experiences. Do you freak out in tests or other stressful situations? Are you prone to debilitating anxiety attacks? Does any little disturbance throw you off your game?

If you have a lifetime of dealing well with stress, ignoring distractions and meeting performance goals on tests, there's no reason to freak out over this particular test more than anything else you've ever done. Go in confident in your past performances and emotional stability. Use the adrenaline to focus and not freak out.

You hear about people completely losing their shit in the LSAT, but these are usually people who lose their shit over every test they've ever taken. Someone who has done well on standardized tests and finals throughout 16+ years of formal education does not usually suddenly become incapable when faced with THIS test.

I went in to the LSAT knowing that I am historically a good test-taker, am a laid-back person, am not prone to panic attacks, and that I'd prepared myself to deal with most reasonable distractions (I scored my highest PT while watching TV. Yes, timed.) I ended up scoring 2 points below my highest PT and 3 points above my average, finishing every section 5-10 minutes faster than usual on the adrenaline rush. I know I could have studied better and longer and gotten a better score, but my actual test day performance left nothing to be desired.

All that said, I'd guess that the average competent (non-super-tester, non-anxiety-freak, at a test center without major distractions) LSAT taker probably drops 1-3 points from his PT averages. Just a guess.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”