am i the only one whose conscious about my age Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
DoctorLaw

Bronze

am i the only one whose conscious about my age

Post by DoctorLaw » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:40 am

well I am 23 and deciding to back off and apply next cycle because my score is not where I want them to be.. am i the only conscious person here going paranoid about my age and then applying when im 24 and getting out when I am 27ish....

Gold

Re: am i the only one whose conscious about my age

Post by 20121109 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:45 am

Uhhh...isn't the average law student ~24? You'll be just like a majority of your classmates.

Worried about not standing out or something...?

DoctorLaw

Bronze

Post by DoctorLaw » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:54 am

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:Uhhh...isn't the average law student ~24? You'll be just like a majority of your classmates.

Worried about not standing out or something...?

just a random thought about some of my friends same age already started law school/med school and they would finish before me..

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:58 am

If you go to law school this coming fall then you might be something to fuck with.

If you take another year to get a better LSAT and WE, well then you won't be nothing to fuck with.

ETA: Thought I would add this illustrative graph.
--ImageRemoved--
Last edited by Mal Reynolds on Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:01 am

I'm stressed out about your age too, man. You are far too old.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

DoctorLaw

Bronze

Post by DoctorLaw » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:17 am

Mal Reynolds wrote:If you go to law school this coming fall then you might be something to fuck with.

If you take another year to get a better LSAT and WE, well then you won't be nothing to fuck with.

ETA: Thought I would add this illustrative graph.
--ImageRemoved--

+1

3v3ryth1ng

Bronze

Post by 3v3ryth1ng » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:24 am

DoctorLaw wrote:well I am 23 and deciding to back off and apply next cycle because my score is not where I want them to be.. am i the only conscious person here going paranoid about my age and then applying when im 24 and getting out when I am 27ish....
I'm 28, but I'll likely be 29 when I start. At the earliest, I'll finish when I'm 32. All of that matters immensely... unless of course you don't view life as a race. There are people I went to high school with who are lawyers. Some of them went to Whittier Law School. I think they were in a huge hurry, but I guess they're exactly where they need to be.

Don't trip about your age, dude. Plenty of people older than you are failing at life.

DoctorLaw

Bronze

Post by DoctorLaw » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:26 am

3v3ryth1ng wrote:
DoctorLaw wrote:well I am 23 and deciding to back off and apply next cycle because my score is not where I want them to be.. am i the only conscious person here going paranoid about my age and then applying when im 24 and getting out when I am 27ish....
I'm 28, but I'll likely be 29 when I start. At the earliest, I'll finish when I'm 32. All of that matters immensely... unless of course you don't view life as a race. There are people I went to high school with who are lawyers. Some of them went to Whittier Law School. I think they were in a huge hurry, but I guess they're exactly where they need to be.

Don't trip about your age, dude. Plenty of people older than you are failing at life.

+1000

headandshoulderos

Bronze

Post by headandshoulderos » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:33 am

im a 2L and bros from my high school class have already started biglaw and/or are middle management at bigtech co's and F500's already.

i don't worry about that shit. they are all hella jealous that i'm playing xbox on the reg and waking up at noon.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

3v3ryth1ng

Bronze

Post by 3v3ryth1ng » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:37 am

headandshoulderos wrote:im a 2L and bros from my high school class have already started biglaw and/or are middle management at bigtech co's and F500's already.

i don't worry about that shit. they are all hella jealous that i'm playing xbox on the reg and waking up at noon.
Oh hell yeah. I'm looking forward to reigniting my childhood love of video games when I get to LS. So much easier than waking up at 5 and working till 8pm!

Jeffort

Gold

Post by Jeffort » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:43 am

3v3ryth1ng wrote:
headandshoulderos wrote:im a 2L and bros from my high school class have already started biglaw and/or are middle management at bigtech co's and F500's already.

Oh hell yeah. I'm looking forward to reigniting my childhood love of video games when I get to LS. So much easier than waking up at 5 and working till 8pm!
I really hope you are being sarcastic because if not you are going to be in for a really big and nasty 1L surprise. The type of surprise that just keeps going even when you go belly up and scream uncle over and over to try and make it stop.

john1990

Silver

Post by john1990 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:55 am

ill be 24 when i graduate :mrgreen:

thementor31337

New

Post by thementor31337 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:30 am

Don't stress about your age, I'm 29 and I plan on applying for this cycle, so I won't be starting until I'm 30. It's not that big a deal. Age is a positive IMO, because you might be able to deal with stress/pressure of LS better than your frantic straight outta UG friends. To mirror another poster, life isn't a race, and there are PLENTY of people that are older than you failing at life right now.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Shiraz

New

Post by Shiraz » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:45 pm

WE and age are always pluses. Going straight into law school after undergrad typically puts you at a disadvantage. Having spent a few years doing something other than school makes you a more interesting and desirable candidate. It's easy to just keep doing school after undergrad; part of what can make you intriguing is that you went out, had some really cool real-world experiences that school could never teach you, and even after all that, you still want to be a lawyer. Admissions councils like that.

bessmarvin89

New

Post by bessmarvin89 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:01 pm

john1990 wrote:ill be 24 when i graduate :mrgreen:

I'll be 23 when I graduate law school :) I graduated college at 19 :) Where are you going?

Lily

New

Post by Lily » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:04 pm

You'll be fine. The older students are usually the ones kicking ass and taking names anyway, from what I have observed. I started law school when I was 30. It is totally not a big deal.

bessmarvin89

New

Post by bessmarvin89 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:05 pm

NO Don't be its so much easier both in school and at work when you're older. I graduated college at 19. I took a job in the coporate world and it was HELL. College was hell because I started at 16, people were celebrating their 21st bdays and I was barely turning 18. Being older means experience, maturity and believe it or not thats what employers want. My boss told me if I hadn't shown super interest, he would have never even interviewed me solely cause he din't think I was ready to take on real world. Good Luck! Believe in yourself and keep rising!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Killingly

Silver

Post by Killingly » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:09 pm

I'm 20, will be 21 when I start. Extremely worried people/employers won't take me seriously. But, I'm not willing to wait a few years, so I guess it's a risk I'll take.

AlexanderSupertramp

Bronze

Post by AlexanderSupertramp » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:20 pm

I started law school when I was 30 (turned 31 about 2 weeks later.) It's really not a big deal; it's my second career and I stayed home wiht my kids for a while. I look young so that helps but I've actually had potential employers respond positively when they found out how old I really am.

Jeffort

Gold

Post by Jeffort » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:31 pm

bessmarvin89 wrote:
john1990 wrote:ill be 24 when i graduate :mrgreen:

I'll be 23 when I graduate law school :) I graduated college at 19 :) Where are you going?
If you graduate with good standing in your class from a decent LS, don't have any children, are not married and are a hard/motivated worker, you'll have no problem getting scooped up by a firm. Just watch out because some of the ones that will be most interested (unless you graduate from a Tier 1 LS) will be sweat shops that will lock you in the basement doing document sorting and review ~70 hours a week.

3v3ryth1ng

Bronze

Post by 3v3ryth1ng » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:59 am

Jeffort wrote:
3v3ryth1ng wrote:

I really hope you are being sarcastic because if not you are going to be in for a really big and nasty 1L surprise. The type of surprise that just keeps going even when you go belly up and scream uncle over and over to try and make it stop.
Is it anything like having your intellect, emotions, patience, and sanity stretched to their absolute breaking points for years at a time, or drowning in an endless sea of paper? If it is, it will be a break from what I'm doing now.

I suspect it's more like reading cases, trying to recognize fact patterns and underlying principles, then speaking out in a lecture hall. Sounds like fun!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

3v3ryth1ng

Bronze

Post by 3v3ryth1ng » Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:09 am

thementor31337 wrote:Age is a positive IMO, because you might be able to deal with stress/pressure of LS better than your frantic straight outta UG friends.
Frankly, if law school doesn't turn out to be as difficult and overwhelming as everyone says it is, I will be very disappointed.

headandshoulderos

Bronze

Post by headandshoulderos » Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:10 am

3v3ryth1ng wrote:
thementor31337 wrote:Age is a positive IMO, because you might be able to deal with stress/pressure of LS better than your frantic straight outta UG friends.
Frankly, if law school doesn't turn out to be as difficult and overwhelming as everyone says it is, I will be very disappointed.
eh, it's pretty easy. the problem isn't difficulty, it's the randomness of results.

splitmuch

Silver

Post by splitmuch » Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:16 am

3v3ryth1ng wrote:
Jeffort wrote:
3v3ryth1ng wrote:

Is it anything like having your intellect, emotions, patience, and sanity stretched to their absolute breaking points for years at a time, or drowning in an endless sea of paper? If it is, it will be a break from what I'm doing now.

I suspect it's more like reading cases, trying to recognize fact patterns and underlying principles, then speaking out in a lecture hall. Sounds like fun!
Yeah I have no Idea what Jeffort is talking about. It is a lot easier than wakign up at 5 and working til 8. The last month is hectic, but still less consuming than a (assuming starting work at 6AM if you get up at 5) 14 hour a day job. 1L is pretty fun. The stressful part is not the time, but not being exactly sure what is expected from you. If you do it right, 2L is when youll actually be most pressed for time (journals clinic etc plus probably a few harder classes).

decaf735

New

Post by decaf735 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:57 am

I feel like every post I make on TLS starts with "I don't wanna be a douche, but..."

OP, you can't possibly have fully researched law school enough to make the decision to go to law school without knowing that 24 is a perfectly normal age to enter. When I read the title of this post, I was expecting someone in their early 30s+

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”