How late is too late to apply? Please chime in

User avatar
Dawak1
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:30 pm

How late is too late to apply? Please chime in

Postby Dawak1 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:51 pm

Applying next cycle is NOT an option. I graduated in May and need roughly a month to fix 3 incomplete grades that are still on my transcript, all of which will be explained via addendum. The earliest I can send out my applications and have them 100% completed is Jan 10-15. I cant send them out until the incomplete grades have been resolved.

My GPA will be a 3.65-3.70 and my LSAT score will hopefully be a 166-171. I am taking it on sat. and my average of 22 preptest (over the past 2 weeks) is 169. So ASSUMING that GPA and that LSAT, is mid Jan simply too late to apply to Fordham, Georgetown, Berkley and Cornell? Am I screwed? I've always read that applying as early as possible is the best but my circumstances simply haven't allowed for it. Can I still have a shot (given a good score this Saturday) at Georgetown or Fordham even with a late app?

Sincerely appreciate any thoughts/advice.

User avatar
Donny Crane
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:04 pm

Re: How late is too late to apply? Please chime in

Postby Donny Crane » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:54 pm

Dawak1 wrote:Applying next cycle is NOT an option.


May I ask why not? If you apply with those stats in September/October things would look a lot better for you.

User avatar
Dawak1
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:30 pm

Re: How late is too late to apply? Please chime in

Postby Dawak1 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:58 pm

Donny Crane wrote:
Dawak1 wrote:Applying next cycle is NOT an option.


May I ask why not? If you apply with those stats in September/October things would look a lot better for you.


I know, and knowing that SUCKS. But unfortunately it just isnt an option for many different personal reasons. One of which is that I've already been out of school a year and simply dont want to spend another year out of school. Not even a little. There are other more concrete reasons as well, none of which are flexible enough to give me some room to make that decision :/

tomwatts
Posts: 1551
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:01 am

Re: How late is too late to apply? Please chime in

Postby tomwatts » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:14 pm

If you do actually end up with a ~169 and ~3.7, I would expect you to get into at least one of those schools if you apply in mid-January. I'm basing that partly on LSAC's indicated probabilities for, e.g., Fordham and on the fact that tons of people apply in January. There's more competition, but some of those people are getting in.

User avatar
calidancer2
Posts: 200
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:19 am

Re: How late is too late to apply? Please chime in

Postby calidancer2 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:16 pm

Dawak1 wrote:
Donny Crane wrote:
Dawak1 wrote:Applying next cycle is NOT an option.


May I ask why not? If you apply with those stats in September/October things would look a lot better for you.


I know, and knowing that SUCKS. But unfortunately it just isnt an option for many different personal reasons. One of which is that I've already been out of school a year and simply dont want to spend another year out of school. Not even a little. There are other more concrete reasons as well, none of which are flexible enough to give me some room to make that decision :/



Know that most schools look favorably upon applicants who have taken time off since UG, and another year won't hurt you. Go out, live it up, get a job, travel, something, before you commit to 3 years of LS. even better if you do something worthy with your time. Applying in Sept vs. applying in Jan could easily mean the difference between a T14 and a non-T14 for you (again, not that there's anything WRONG with going to a non-T14, but based on OP's schools stated, sounds like where he/she wants to go). just my .02

User avatar
Donny Crane
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:04 pm

Re: How late is too late to apply? Please chime in

Postby Donny Crane » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:30 pm

calidancer2 wrote:
Dawak1 wrote:
Donny Crane wrote:
Dawak1 wrote:Applying next cycle is NOT an option.


May I ask why not? If you apply with those stats in September/October things would look a lot better for you.


I know, and knowing that SUCKS. But unfortunately it just isnt an option for many different personal reasons. One of which is that I've already been out of school a year and simply dont want to spend another year out of school. Not even a little. There are other more concrete reasons as well, none of which are flexible enough to give me some room to make that decision :/



Know that most schools look favorably upon applicants who have taken time off since UG, and another year won't hurt you. Go out, live it up, get a job, travel, something, before you commit to 3 years of LS. even better if you do something worthy with your time. Applying in Sept vs. applying in Jan could easily mean the difference between a T14 and a non-T14 for you (again, not that there's anything WRONG with going to a non-T14, but based on OP's schools stated, sounds like where he/she wants to go). just my .02


+1

But if you must apply, I have to think you'd get in at at least one of your targets with no $$

User avatar
swilson215
Posts: 1109
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:35 pm

Re: How late is too late to apply? Please chime in

Postby swilson215 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:31 pm

I understand where you're coming from, saying next cycle isn't an option. If it is an option, even at all, even the tiniest bit, I personally, would wait and apply in September or October. It really, really, REALLY does make a difference. I took 2 years off between UG and LS, and 2 years isn't that bad. I swear.

If you really really really can't wait, I would say that you HAVE to apply by the end of January, and know that at least 10 people with the exact same numbers as you will get in before you do. Your numbers are good, but the earlier the better. I have a friend with great numbers who applied to schools that she *should* have gotten into, no problem, but she was WL or flat out rejected by all but 1 because she waited to apply until mid-February. So I would apply the very FIRST day that you possibly can. Have everything (and I mean EVERYTHING) ready to go so that the day your UG grades get fixed you can send them out. Mid-January isn't great, but it's doable.

snehpets
Posts: 1143
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:26 pm

Re: How late is too late to apply? Please chime in

Postby snehpets » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:35 pm

For what it's worth, there are people on lawschoolnumbers with roughly your numbers that got into Fordham after applying in early to mid-january.

User avatar
dailygrind
Posts: 19667
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:08 am

Re: How late is too late to apply? Please chime in

Postby dailygrind » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:52 pm

One thread is enough.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Tazewell, xtremenite and 6 guests