PT 60 S3 #17

Mr.Binks

PT 60 S3 #17

Postby Mr.Binks » Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:56 pm

I understand how D is actually the right answer, but it seems to be VERY time-consuming and tricky.

The way I approached this question was that I diagrammed out the stimulus then tried to compare that to the answer choices.

However, the correct answer choice, D, is not as conducive to diagramming as the other conditional statements in the other answers.

How would you guys recommend that I approach a question like this?

Thanks!

swtlilsoni

Re: PT 60 S3 #17

Postby swtlilsoni » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:28 pm

Here's the way I attempted this one:

I also diagrammed it but realized that the diagram was kind of pointless.

It says each acceptable techniques involves either sterilizing & sealing (SS), or slowing the growth of bacteria (SGB).
So there are really only two options here .. SS or SGB
SS eliminates bacteria
SGB slows the growth

I didn't think too much about the stimulus until I got to the answer choices.

A: Eliminated because only ONE of the optioins of preservation eliminates bacteria (SS), not the other (SGB) so we cannot assume this
B: There's really no connection between "some techniques that destroy enzymes" and sterilization, so I eliminated this.
C: I eliminated this quickly because they talk about food preserved with a sterilization method, but they say nothing about sealing! And the stimulus puts sterilization & sealing together in a package ... they both together eliminate the bacteria. Thus if you just have one without the other its irrelevant.
D: I choice this because I realized that there are only two options (SS and SGB) and any non sterilized food is obviously not SS so it must be SGB, and it says SGB slows the growth .. so obviously there is still bacteria there if it is slowing the growth of it
E: As soon as I read "if a food contains no bacteria" i tossed this one out because we are only talking about food with bacteria so this is totally out of scope.

revahp00

Re: PT 60 S3 #17

Postby revahp00 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:44 am

Mr.Binks wrote:I understand how D is actually the right answer, but it seems to be VERY time-consuming and tricky.

The way I approached this question was that I diagrammed out the stimulus then tried to compare that to the answer choices.

However, the correct answer choice, D, is not as conducive to diagramming as the other conditional statements in the other answers.

How would you guys recommend that I approach a question like this?

Thanks!

Yes! it is very tricky. The makers want you to diagram only to fool you with a very upfront answer. There is nothing you could do besides read everything very closely

The answer to this question is a direct quote from the first sentence of the stimulus, and therefore (D) Must be true.

The first sentence says: "Any food that is not sterilized and sealed can contain disease causing bacteria."

The correct answer says: "Any nonsterilized food preserved by an acceptable method can contain disease causing bacteria."

In this case the "acceptable method" in the answer choice refers to "sealed" in the first sentence, and "nonsterilized" in the answer choice refers to "not sterilized" in the first sentence.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”