LSAT Practice Test Vs. Actual Score

JamMasterJ

Re: LSAT Practice Test Vs. Actual Score

Postby JamMasterJ » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:29 am

SYoshi11 wrote:diag at 166, final lsat (oct 2011) 179.

IMO, I think a private tutor -- while expensive -- can be valuable if used correctly. I don't really regret not getting one, but there were times when I didn't understand a particular question (not question type, just some stupid random questions that would trip me up) and I know having a tutor would have been helpful.

163 diag, with hard work (I studied about 20 hours a week for 3.5 months) will leave you where you want to be. Use TLS as a resource -- the vast majority of people on this site are tremendously helpful.

TLS serves the same purpose as a tutor for those over 165

Kabuo

Postby Kabuo » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:59 am

JamMasterJ wrote:
SYoshi11 wrote:diag at 166, final lsat (oct 2011) 179.

IMO, I think a private tutor -- while expensive -- can be valuable if used correctly. I don't really regret not getting one, but there were times when I didn't understand a particular question (not question type, just some stupid random questions that would trip me up) and I know having a tutor would have been helpful.

163 diag, with hard work (I studied about 20 hours a week for 3.5 months) will leave you where you want to be. Use TLS as a resource -- the vast majority of people on this site are tremendously helpful.

TLS serves the same purpose as a tutor for those over 165

You know what's cheaper than a tutor and probably just as effective for naturally high scorers? A similarly situated study buddy. I studied with a guy who diag'd at ~160 and ended up with a 177, and between the two of us, I don't think there was ever a question one of us couldn't explain to the other.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:26 am

My cold score was kind of low, like a 153 or 154. Granted some things went wrong in my testing environment that contributed to maybe a few points lower than I would have, but all of this talk about don't get a tutor/take course if your 160 cold or above gets me thinking maybe I should get one or take a course. I planned on self studying seriously and feel I could improve my score dramatically with the help of tls. What would you guys recommend for my situation? Self study or is course/tutor worth it?

Kabuo

Postby Kabuo » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:30 am

Br3v wrote:My cold score was kind of low, like a 153 or 154. Granted some things went wrong in my testing environment that contributed to maybe a few points lower than I would have, but all of this talk about don't get a tutor/take course if your 160 cold or above gets me thinking maybe I should get one or take a course. I planned on self studying seriously and feel I could improve my score dramatically with the help of tls. What would you guys recommend for my situation? Self study or is course/tutor worth it?

Try self studying, and if you aren't seeing improvement after 1-2 months, then consider doing something else. 153-154 isn't bad at all cold, especially if your misses are in LG. If you take a course, make it one of the better ones. The earlier criticism about courses being for 140s is kind of credited. It's not one on one so they have to cater to the lowest common denominator.

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:36 am

Kabuo wrote:
Br3v wrote:My cold score was kind of low, like a 153 or 154. Granted some things went wrong in my testing environment that contributed to maybe a few points lower than I would have, but all of this talk about don't get a tutor/take course if your 160 cold or above gets me thinking maybe I should get one or take a course. I planned on self studying seriously and feel I could improve my score dramatically with the help of tls. What would you guys recommend for my situation? Self study or is course/tutor worth it?

Try self studying, and if you aren't seeing improvement after 1-2 months, then consider doing something else. 153-154 isn't bad at all cold, especially if your misses are in LG. If you take a course, make it one of the better ones. The earlier criticism about courses being for 140s is kind of credited. It's not one on one so they have to cater to the lowest common denominator.

Thanks for the input, that's what I was leaning towards. I'm dead set on law school and have been my practically my whole life (I'm aware the current market lol) so I'm going into studying with the type of mentality that I need to study hard core if I want to make it. I figure anything I can't figure out myself tls can.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”