To Cancel now or later?

osgiliath
Posts: 133
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 12:28 am

To Cancel now or later?

Postby osgiliath » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:13 am

So test day is approaching and I am way below the level of consistency I wanted to have going in to test day. I have tested above 175 but I am still everywhere between 163 and 175 on the last several PT's I have taken. My GPA is a 2.77 so I am looking for a 175 average before going into the test.

Basically, what I am asking is what looks worse: Cancelling my LSAT registration now, or taking the test, and then cancelling? All I am worried about is how it will look to admissions counsels, as I am not applying til next fall.

Mal Reynolds
Posts: 12630
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:16 am

Re: To Cancel now or later?

Postby Mal Reynolds » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:19 am

First, you have a wonderful username. I love me some LOTR.

Second, one cancel on your record will have almost no effect on your chances. Some deans have even said this. So keep that in mind. But if you are not applying until next february you might want to hold off until June. Since Feb. isn't disclosed it would be scary walking in knowing you're a little inconsistent and then not being able to see what happened. So it's up to you but one cancel won't hurt too bad.

User avatar
20130312
Posts: 3842
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:53 pm

Re: To Cancel now or later?

Postby 20130312 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:21 am

You get your money back if you cancel before the test. Just sayin.

osgiliath
Posts: 133
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 12:28 am

Re: To Cancel now or later?

Postby osgiliath » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:11 am

Well actually the date I'm signed up for is December 4th (yikes), so I've missed the refund deadline but i can still withdraw and have the date not show up on my transcript. So I was wondering if the extra realistic practice I'd get by taking it and cancelling was worth the fact that it would show up as a cancel on my transcript.


Also, it's bullshit that Boromir's speech in Osgiliath is only in the extended edition!! It's such a critical scene for his characterization!

User avatar
bernaldiaz
Posts: 1686
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:51 am

Re: To Cancel now or later?

Postby bernaldiaz » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:15 am

Mal Reynolds wrote:First, you have a wonderful username. I love me some LOTR.

Second, one cancel on your record will have almost no effect on your chances. Some deans have even said this. So keep that in mind. But if you are not applying until next february you might want to hold off until June. Since Feb. isn't disclosed it would be scary walking in knowing you're a little inconsistent and then not being able to see what happened. So it's up to you but one cancel won't hurt too bad.


Is the February test the only one not disclosed? What exactly does this mean?

snehpets
Posts: 1143
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:26 pm

Re: To Cancel now or later?

Postby snehpets » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:32 am

bernaldiaz wrote:
Is the February test the only one not disclosed? What exactly does this mean?


It means that the questions and answers are not released. In other tests you can see which questions you missed, which is helpful for retakes so that you know what to work on. February is the only undisclosed test.

User avatar
bernaldiaz
Posts: 1686
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:51 am

Re: To Cancel now or later?

Postby bernaldiaz » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:34 am

snehpets wrote:
bernaldiaz wrote:
Is the February test the only one not disclosed? What exactly does this mean?


It means that the questions and answers are not released. In other tests you can see which questions you missed, which is helpful for retakes so that you know what to work on. February is the only undisclosed test.


So does this mean you won't even know how you did relative to each section? Or will you just never have access to the test booklet so you can't analyze why you got it wrong?

Christmas
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:07 am

Re: To Cancel now or later?

Postby Christmas » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:45 am

alternatively, you can withdraw from the december test and haul ass for february. if you are consistently able to hit 175+ by that point, it is probs worth taking the test and not knowing what questions exactly you missed. hopefully you'll do well enough that for practical purposes (score) your errors don't matter. in the event that your score doesn't meet expectations, you'll have 4 more months to go over tons of practice tests and analyze your mistakes.

good luck:)

bp shinners
Posts: 3091
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:05 pm

Re: To Cancel now or later?

Postby bp shinners » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:36 pm

osgiliath wrote:Well actually the date I'm signed up for is December 4th (yikes), so I've missed the refund deadline but i can still withdraw and have the date not show up on my transcript. So I was wondering if the extra realistic practice I'd get by taking it and cancelling was worth the fact that it would show up as a cancel on my transcript.


That's a personal question, though generally I'd say that the extra practice in the real situation isn't worth it. You can simulate real situations, and the only way you're not going to have the same adrenaline level on a retake is if you scored well on a previous one and the second one is just for scholarship money, or something along those lines.

However, I might recommend taking it to see how you feel. Can you tell when you're at the low end and high end of your performance? If you can, you might take it and keep the score if you feel you did well. The cancel won't hurt that much if you bomb it.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Tazewell, tvxqhero and 6 guests