3rd Retake? Feb or June? LG Timing Advice?

Retake?

Yes, February
25%
Yes, June
50%
No, go in-state at Iowa this cycle
25%

Total votes: 4

zarathustra25

3rd Retake? Feb or June? LG Timing Advice?

Postby zarathustra25 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:08 am

Ok, so I have taken the LSAT twice now and I scored a 163 on both. Intuitively, I would take this to be a good sign that this is simply where I am at and staying on the LSAT. So, unfortunately, I have been getting my app material together. Currently, Iowa is looking good because I am ok with the region and am already in-state (UG here).

However, I feel I should ask all of you if you think a 3rd retake in February could help me on this cycle/do June and take a year off and apply next cycle. My score breakdown on the first 2 tests, which I just re-reviewed, has me feeling somewhat positive about my chances of pulling my score up significantly. I also have a hard-earned 3.8 that I am starting to feel like I'm just throwing away. My real problem is clearly both doing the games correctly and, especially, finishing the games on time. I didn't even get to the last game on either test. I did study the bible, but to be perfectly honest only made it through the first couple of games sections in it, and not the more complicated sections, given the little time I had between tests. Retaking so close together was obviously not a wise decision, but I was determined for whatever reason to do so at the time.

Dec 10 = RC: -4; LR: (-5) (-1); LG: -5 on what I finished; ran out of time, guessed from 16 - 23

Oct 10 = RC: -1; LR: (-5) (-3); LG: -6 on what I finished; ran out of time, guessed from 16 - 23

So, several questions, and excuse me for that but I would appreciate responses to any/all:
1: Should I retake the test or accept these scores as clearly indicative of my ability
2: If retake, do I have time to boost the LG with the LGB by February if I spend all day on it?
3: Is there any point to retaking in February v. June, given that 163 won't even get waitlist? I feel like it could at least help the $$ situation.
4: How likely is it that I will be able to pull these games up by Feb or June far enough to jump two bands, and is it worth spending some of my time on LR as well, given the 5 points missed each time?
5: Already posted elsewhere, but are there any suggestions on how to get through these things within the time limit? Even after spending a little bit of time learning to diagram, I am still not finishing more than 2 games.

Quite a lot of info to digest, I know, but, as always, I appreciate all sincere responses from the TLS community.

john1990

Re: 3rd Retake? Feb or June? LG Timing Advice?

Postby john1990 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:31 am

Logic games are easy to master if you take the time and go through the bible. After you do that take a few practice tests and you'l start getting 20's every time. So it looks like you can get your score up and you should retake. But you only get one more chance so i vote that you do it right and take your time. Retake in June and nail down LG

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:36 am

do June and reapply

AbhiJ

Postby AbhiJ » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:31 am

At the end of the day its going to be a personal decision - some guys are obsessive perfectionists who won't rest untill they have maxed out everything. Others focus more on the process and move ahead. Which camp do you belong ?

zarathustra25

Postby zarathustra25 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:55 am

I'm not really sure what you mean by the two camps. I don't think that I need a perfect score, or that I need a "Biglaw" job, if that is what you mean. I just want a satisfying job where hard work will be rewarded, honestly. I work with the Iowa attorney general now and the job is relatively boring, but it is very rewarding work. I can only assume this sort of work would get a little more intellectually stimulating after I get my JD. Additionally, I'd imagine the hours are not bad at all. I think Iowa can give me a great government job or regional midlaw, and at a pretty good price. Of course, Georgetown and Berkeley have always been dreams of mine and I would like to be in D.C. if I had a choice. I'm sure the law school decision is always a hard one, regardless of situation. I appreciate the replies and I will continue to think it over in December.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”