LSAT prep: last week Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Student23

New

LSAT prep: last week

Post by Student23 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:25 pm

So I'm taking the LSAT again next weekend. I've been preparing for about two months. Did some private tutoring, a 20 hour intensive weekend course and have been working on my own extensively. I got a 151 the first time with little prep. here is what my progressions has been over 5 full practice tests (including experimentals) over the last two months. I've improved greatly after the first two.

I've shown some marked improvement and while my logic games are still sketchy, I have some stability in the 18-21 range on the LR and reading sections. I'm curious what I should be doing now, should I continue to do practice tests or should I just work individual sections? Only a week left and I want to prepare myself as much as possible while not hurting my confidence or burning out on the test.

Scotusnerd

Silver

Re: LSAT prep: last week

Post by Scotusnerd » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:12 pm

That's a good improvement, given the amount of time you've put in. I will give you fair warning, though. You get what you put into this test, and five PTs over two months is not a major amount. It amounts to less than 1 four-hour test a week.

What are your goals? Where do you want to go and what sort of LSAT score do you need to get there?

Mr. Pancakes

Silver

Post by Mr. Pancakes » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:25 pm

Student23 wrote:So I'm taking the LSAT again next weekend. I've been preparing for about two months. Did some private tutoring, a 20 hour intensive weekend course and have been working on my own extensively. I got a 151 the first time with little prep. here is what my progressions has been over 5 full practice tests (including experimentals) over the last two months. I've improved greatly after the first two.

I've shown some marked improvement and while my logic games are still sketchy, I have some stability in the 18-21 range on the LR and reading sections. I'm curious what I should be doing now, should I continue to do practice tests or should I just work individual sections? Only a week left and I want to prepare myself as much as possible while not hurting my confidence or burning out on the test.
Even though they have gone up I would be a little nervous with the inconsistency of your scores. You were just a few PTs away from a 9pt drop.

john1990

Silver

Post by john1990 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:16 pm

You have shown a lot of improvement while only taking very few prep-tests. This suggests that you can probably improve much more if you study harder and take many more prep-tests. I would suggest putting the test off because based on that trend your performance has not peaked yet.

Student23

New

Post by Student23 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:08 pm

I'm happy with my upward trend and I do think I am good enough to hit 160+. However I don't know if I have enough time. What really did it for me was my weekend LSAT course.

I'm kind of nervous about taking practice tests though now, I feel good going into the test and I've find myself overly stressed or spaced out taking practice tests (haven't finished one since my 157 on wednesday). I've heard from a lot of people you should be wary of doing full practice tests close to the real thing but I do want to improve.

I think I might just run through a few sections untimed each day and then review answers from old tests. I'd be happy with at least a 155 which my average score this week on two tests was approximately 155. As far as scoring I just wanted to make sure I was at least going to top 151 which there is little doubt in that now.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:21 pm

Where do you want to go to school OP?

Student23

New

Post by Student23 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:16 pm

emkay625 wrote:Where do you want to go to school OP?
Really hard to say being a 155-57 score would put me into an entirely different bracket than where I am now. My top choice would probably be American. They have a median LSAT of like 159 and a 3.4ish gpa median. I also have a 3.85 gpa which gives me a little leeway despite lsat being more important. 40k tuition is a bummer but I would do international law and work for the state department, which after 10 years pays off your law school debt. In my (perspective) score bracket, I'd have an ok shot at getting in.

I'd be perfectly satisfied with Louisville or University of Kentucky, exclusively due to the extremely low tuition (for me) and the solid bang-for-buck programs they offer. University of Cincinnati offers similar benefits.

If you want a general answer. I don't expect to break into the top 30, but I do want to go to a top 100 program and preferably a top 60 program. I don't have lavish expectations, but I do want a return on my investment and have a career lined up for me after I graduate.

Scotusnerd

Silver

Post by Scotusnerd » Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:34 pm

Ok, couple of quick questions. Have you sent your GPA through LSAC yet? I had a 3.8 and they downgraded me to a 3.6 as my official grade. Sucks but it happens. Second of all, and I'll be blunt on this: you have the potential to be an amazing lawyer, but only if you put in the time and energy to research and learn about things before you act. How on earth are you planning to bridge from going to a local state school to working with the government internationally? What type of international law? What languages are you going to learn?

More questions include: how are you going to get that career lined up after law school? Do you want scholarships, or do you just want to take a lot of debt? Top 60 and even top 100 programs are expensive and competitive. You will not get into a top 60 school with a 155 or a 157, unless you have the most amazing personal statement that has ever been written.

You need to research these things if you want to succeed. No one will give you a free ride anymore in this depression.

Student23

New

Post by Student23 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:50 pm

Scotusnerd wrote:Ok, couple of quick questions. Have you sent your GPA through LSAC yet? I had a 3.8 and they downgraded me to a 3.6 as my official grade. Sucks but it happens. Second of all, and I'll be blunt on this: you have the potential to be an amazing lawyer, but only if you put in the time and energy to research and learn about things before you act. How on earth are you planning to bridge from going to a local state school to working with the government internationally? What type of international law? What languages are you going to learn?

More questions include: how are you going to get that career lined up after law school? Do you want scholarships, or do you just want to take a lot of debt? Top 60 and even top 100 programs are expensive and competitive. You will not get into a top 60 school with a 155 or a 157, unless you have the most amazing personal statement that has ever been written.

You need to research these things if you want to succeed. No one will give you a free ride anymore in this depression.
"You will not get into a top 60 school with a 155 or a 157, unless you have the most amazing personal statement that has ever been written."

Untrue-says every calculator, law school numbers and the medians themselves. Sure I'd like a 160, that would improve my chances but your viewpoint is overly pessimistic.

You are really getting off topic from advice on last week of LSAT training to criticizing my plans to even attend law school or attempting to apply.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

AriGoldButNicer

Bronze

Post by AriGoldButNicer » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:21 pm

Relax studen23. He didn't question your plans to attend law school. He questioned your plan of attack to your career. Things like school choice, etc. can be more important than an LSAT.

Yours seems to be going into it with a school like American. Many would argue this is a crappy plan of attack, but to put it in action I'd cement your improvements. Take practice tests daily Mon through Wed, review Thursday, take it easy Friday and try to focus.

Scotusnerd

Silver

Post by Scotusnerd » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:30 pm

Arigold's right. I am not attempting to attack your plan to go to law school (some on this forum would, but that's their business.) I want you to do well and find a good career, and figuring out those things I mentioned would help. It's really not as easy as it used to be.

Arigold's ideas for the LSAT are spot on. My schedule is three practice tests this week as well, but I have it broken up so that there is one a day.

Sunday: Practice Test
Monday: Review/study
Tuesday: Practice Test
Wednesday: Review/study
Thursday: Practice Test
Friday: Chill out, relax

I'd also recommend taking the practice tests at the same time you are taking the actual LSAT.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”