Really frustrated

CorkBoard

Really frustrated

Postby CorkBoard » Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:11 pm

I'm taking the test in a week and my practice scores are all going down. Two weeks ago I was studying and scoring in the mid 160s. Now I can barely break 160. It's almost like I've lost all the concepts that I've been studying so hard for, and GETTING. I'm getting nervous and I feel like all of my work is going out the window.

I'm really frustrated and upset. I know I'm capable of scoring back into my range, but I don't have a reasonable explanation for why this is happening to me. I'm not running out of time on LR. I'm making dumb mistakes and overlooking the correct answer.

Does anybody have any guidance or anything? I just really don't know what to do.

DefyingGravity

Re: Really frustrated

Postby DefyingGravity » Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:53 pm

Don't psyche yourself out! Take a deep breath, relax, and try to think of nothing other than the question you are answering as you move through the test. The knowledge is there and it will come back:)

Lady in Red

Postby Lady in Red » Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:04 pm

Same here. I have always scored between a -0 and -3 on RC. Now I'm suddenly scoring -7. On my last PT (65) I didn't even make it to the questions on the 4th passage. This has never been a problem for me before.

In June, I scored a little low for my PTs. In Oct, my PT scores were WAY higher...and on test day, I earned the same score as my June test. Now, it's my 3rd and last chance, and my PT scores are low. I'm stressed, sad, and wondering if I should take my friend's advice and give up. :(

emkay625

Postby emkay625 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:09 pm

Lady in Red wrote:Same here. I have always scored between a -0 and -3 on RC. Now I'm suddenly scoring -7. On my last PT (65) I didn't even make it to the questions on the 4th passage. This has never been a problem for me before.

In June, I scored a little low for my PTs. In Oct, my PT scores were WAY higher...and on test day, I earned the same score as my June test. Now, it's my 3rd and last chance, and my PT scores are low. I'm stressed, sad, and wondering if I should take my friend's advice and give up. :(

Screw this person.

Never give up.

Scotusnerd

Postby Scotusnerd » Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:25 pm

I don't know if you've ever made a performance before or not (done karate, music dance, played a serious sport etc) but the LSAT has many similarities. It is a competition, and a mental triathlon. You must be in healthy competition with yourself to succeed at these. It sounds like you have beaten yourself up too much and are now scared that you're not going to do well. You must shake it off and move on to succeed.

You have done an amazing amount of work. I have taken three different tests, and by and large the consensus I see is 'I haven't studied' or 'I studied for a week or two'. Merely because you know this site exists and you're working on the test, you are above about 70% of the applicants. You have what these schools are looking for, and you need to remember that. You cannot beat yourself at your own game.

Instead of getting angry at yourself, set your goals and reach for them. Did you not do so well the last time? Figure out what went wrong and adjust accordingly. The LSAT testmakers change the test often, and each test shifts the priorities. The test you took where you didn't do so well showed that you could improve on a certain area. Figure out what it is and fix it. :D

This test is as much psychological as it is logical. You cannot go into a race expecting to lose and then ending up winning. The same applies for the LSAT. Best of luck, I know you'll do wonderful.

Lady in Red

Postby Lady in Red » Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:14 pm

Thank you for the encouragement. :) I feel better; CorkBoard, I hope you do, too. Sometimes a few kind words makes such a difference. We will all do well next weekend!

CorkBoard

Postby CorkBoard » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:33 pm

Scotusnerd wrote:I don't know if you've ever made a performance before or not (done karate, music dance, played a serious sport etc) but the LSAT has many similarities. It is a competition, and a mental triathlon. You must be in healthy competition with yourself to succeed at these. It sounds like you have beaten yourself up too much and are now scared that you're not going to do well. You must shake it off and move on to succeed.

You have done an amazing amount of work. I have taken three different tests, and by and large the consensus I see is 'I haven't studied' or 'I studied for a week or two'. Merely because you know this site exists and you're working on the test, you are above about 70% of the applicants. You have what these schools are looking for, and you need to remember that. You cannot beat yourself at your own game.

Instead of getting angry at yourself, set your goals and reach for them. Did you not do so well the last time? Figure out what went wrong and adjust accordingly. The LSAT testmakers change the test often, and each test shifts the priorities. The test you took where you didn't do so well showed that you could improve on a certain area. Figure out what it is and fix it. :D

This test is as much psychological as it is logical. You cannot go into a race expecting to lose and then ending up winning. The same applies for the LSAT. Best of luck, I know you'll do wonderful.

Thanks for this. This is exactly how I feel. I'm going to take the rest of tonight easy and work on the questions I have problems with. I'm not giving up. I can't let the test makers win!

CorkBoard

Postby CorkBoard » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:34 pm

Lady in Red wrote:Thank you for the encouragement. :) I feel better; CorkBoard, I hope you do, too. Sometimes a few kind words makes such a difference. We will all do well next weekend!

I feel better too. Feel free to PM me for moral support.

tepper

Postby tepper » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:17 pm

When I was studying for the LSAT, I noticed that the more recent PTs were somewhat different and more difficult than the older ones, especially the RC section. I don't know what your situation is, but if you're starting to do the most recent PTs, then you might know what I'm talking about.

CorkBoard

Postby CorkBoard » Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:42 am

tepper wrote:When I was studying for the LSAT, I noticed that the more recent PTs were somewhat different and more difficult than the older ones, especially the RC section. I don't know what your situation is, but if you're starting to do the most recent PTs, then you might know what I'm talking about.

Yeah, this is actually when I noticed the drop. I was doing the older ones fine, and then when I hit the most recent PTs (59,60) I noticed that they were MUCH more difficult to go through. What have you been doing to combat the difficulty?

CorkBoard

Postby CorkBoard » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:58 pm

tepper wrote:When I was studying for the LSAT, I noticed that the more recent PTs were somewhat different and more difficult than the older ones, especially the RC section. I don't know what your situation is, but if you're starting to do the most recent PTs, then you might know what I'm talking about.

Just took PT 61 with this in mind and scored a 163. Here's to hoping my practice this week can help me with fixing my mistakes and kicking ass Saturday.

DyingDeclaration

Postby DyingDeclaration » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:11 pm

CorkBoard wrote:I'm taking the test in a week and my practice scores are all going down. Two weeks ago I was studying and scoring in the mid 160s. Now I can barely break 160. It's almost like I've lost all the concepts that I've been studying so hard for, and GETTING. I'm getting nervous and I feel like all of my work is going out the window.

I just really don't know what to do.

Block out an hour or an evening to let your brain relax; bonus points if you eat food that will re-nourish it, like berries and bananas. They will not "magically" make you a genius. But if your body is holding back your response time and memory retention because you're fatigued, rest and re-nourishment might be just what you need to bounce back.

Those are good scores. You've got this.

RCinDNA

Postby RCinDNA » Tue Nov 29, 2011 12:05 pm

DyingDeclaration wrote:
CorkBoard wrote:I'm taking the test in a week and my practice scores are all going down. Two weeks ago I was studying and scoring in the mid 160s. Now I can barely break 160. It's almost like I've lost all the concepts that I've been studying so hard for, and GETTING. I'm getting nervous and I feel like all of my work is going out the window.

I just really don't know what to do.

Block out an hour or an evening to let your brain relax; bonus points if you eat food that will re-nourish it, like berries and bananas. They will not "magically" make you a genius. But if your body is holding back your response time and memory retention because you're fatigued, rest and re-nourishment might be just what you need to bounce back.

I agree with the above. Don't psych yourself out to the point that your brain gets exhausted; I, too, hit a hurtle a few months ago. My initial diagnostics were in the 155-157 range. I really let this get to me, and decided to change my focus, following some of the advice on these forums. I allowed myself one or two nights off, here and there, and concentrated on addressing my approach to the test for the past two months while drilling the heck out of Logic Games (my most anxiety-producing section). Two weeks ago, I finally hit 166, followed by a 162 on PT 61. I thought these were just flukes, since I had already practiced those tests and a few of my later practice tests in the 158-160 range reinforced this sentiment. I sat down last night, determined to focus on each question and fully engage my mind on each question under timed conditions - I scored a 167. The weird part was, I knew exactly when my focus was wavering (the final section of RC in PT 59), and lo and behold, I lost four points in that segment because I freaked out due to time, filling in answers even when a cursory glance told me that they were incorrect. Basically, I missed 171 because of my approach to the test, not a deficiency in skills. Every person person has a different response to this sort of test, and you need to find the balance of studying, stress and mental preparation that works for you to get the best performance out of yourself. Happy studying!

outsidethescope

Postby outsidethescope » Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:52 pm

DyingDeclaration wrote:

I'm taking you out to dinner tonight. Beer and wings before job #2 (you can have a banana and berries if you'd rather).

PS You rock.

edit: PSS the burnout response is credited. I had to learn to enjoy the LSAT, and straight practice didn't work for me. Seeing everything as a game/puzzle was very helpful, though. I think you don't want to take more than 1 timed test a week. Focus instead on practicing the basics, untimed.

Don't forget to practice what you're good at, and go over it! Nothing is worse than getting stuck in an "I suck" mentality by only practicing the bad.

Also, take a break. Watch Star Trek. Make sure you practice doing nothing to calm your mind. Meditating was very helpful.

Win

Postby Win » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:13 pm

Like most other posters have said, try relaxing a little bit. Maybe you are over-thinking the test.

Don't fight the LSAT, let the the right answers come to you.

Mr.Binks

Postby Mr.Binks » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:02 pm

Scotusnerd wrote:I don't know if you've ever made a performance before or not (done karate, music dance, played a serious sport etc) but the LSAT has many similarities. It is a competition, and a mental triathlon. You must be in healthy competition with yourself to succeed at these. It sounds like you have beaten yourself up too much and are now scared that you're not going to do well. You must shake it off and move on to succeed.

Oh, this is good.

EDIT: Not being sarcastic, in case it came off that way.

Ohiobumpkin

Postby Ohiobumpkin » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:16 am

Just put everything LSAT related down, and don't study anymore. Just go and do something that is fun/entertaining. Give your mind a rest for at least 2-3 days before the real test.

SYoshi11

Postby SYoshi11 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:44 am

Last edited by SYoshi11 on Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

nedzilla

Postby nedzilla » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:01 pm

I just dropped 8 points on my latest and last PT (64) too so your not alone in this. Hoping that the day off tomorrow is just what i need to get my head back in the game. Staying confident has been the most difficult part for me through this entire process.

Lady in Red

Postby Lady in Red » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:38 am

Good luck, everyone! At this point, I think our best bet is to relax and get ready to rock it! :D

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”