Advice on LSAT Timing and Retake

thomasjmai22

Advice on LSAT Timing and Retake

Postby thomasjmai22 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:31 pm

Here is my situation with taking practice tests lately. When they are timed, I do poorly, usually between 140-150. I then look at the questions I got wrong without looking what I originally chose as my answer and without looking at the correct from the answer sheet. When I read the problem again, I instantly realize the answer which is different than what I originally chose. I can even do some logic games in my head when looking over the ones I got wrong. Should I just go at a slower pace that suits my comfort level in order to ensure I am getting the answers right, and guess on the remaining questions I did not get to? Would this be the best technique?

I also am taking the LSAT in one week. I am already planning on canceling my score and taking the test for just experience. Would this be a bad idea to rely on the February test since it is such a late time to take it?

I studied hardcore for the past month and light study the month before. I feel that with more time I can raise my grade close to a 160. It has just taken longer for the patterns to sink in for me.

I appreciate any feedback.

BTW, I am using all three POWERSCORE bibles and have taken about nine practice tests (highest score was 151).

emkay625

Re: Advice on LSAT Timing and Retake

Postby emkay625 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:40 pm

Are you planning on applying this cycle? If so, many schools will not accept the February test.

9 PTs is a small amount (compared to many on this site). My advice is to wait a cycle, follow Pithypike's study guide (use the search feature to find it on one of these boards), take the June test and then profit.

If waiting a cycle is not possible, I would advise not cancelling your score in December, as February is too late for some schools.

jctexas123

Postby jctexas123 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:43 pm

I'm in a very similar situation. I have taken about 5 practice tests so far, and scored anywhere in between a 172 down to a 164. I've found that stressing about time constraints during the test leads to incorrect answer choices on questions that should be easy, so I've been trying to relax somewhat while taking the test. Being too relaxed, however, is obviously not a good mentality to have on test day, but trying to chill out a bit actually has increased my scores (on reading comp especially).

Rather than worrying about your score and expecting improvement, just calm down and give it your best shot. Sometimes the best thing to do is take a breather, so that you're feeling fresh when you take your next practice.

One thing I've tried to do is "tighten up" my test-taking mentality; when I come across a particularly tricky question and I can't decide between two similar answer choices, I try to aggressively disprove one of them, rather than just guess or go with the one that only "seems right".

Good luck next Saturday! Hope my advice helped at least a little bit.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:45 pm

thomasjmai22 wrote:Here is my situation with taking practice tests lately. When they are timed, I do poorly, usually between 140-150. I then look at the questions I got wrong without looking what I originally chose as my answer and without looking at the correct from the answer sheet. When I read the problem again, I instantly realize the answer which is different than what I originally chose. I can even do some logic games in my head when looking over the ones I got wrong. Should I just go at a slower pace that suits my comfort level in order to ensure I am getting the answers right, and guess on the remaining questions I did not get to? Would this be the best technique?

I also am taking the LSAT in one week. I am already planning on canceling my score and taking the test for just experience. Would this be a bad idea to rely on the February test since it is such a late time to take it?

I studied hardcore for the past month and light study the month before. I feel that with more time I can raise my grade close to a 160. It has just taken longer for the patterns to sink in for me.

I appreciate any feedback.

BTW, I am using all three POWERSCORE bibles and have taken about nine practice tests (highest score was 151).

you need to be applying next year. So, take it for the first time when you're actually prepared

thomasjmai22

Postby thomasjmai22 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:51 pm

emkay, I am taking it for this cycle and can't wait for the next either. Not that I am restricted in anyway, but that is my preference since I am not a traditional student. I think cancelling my score would be a bad decision also. It seems my options are very limited and I need to keep the score since withdrawing from this test is not an option.

As for your reply, jc, I tried taking a relaxed approach also and found that to be ineffective. I would spend too much time with certain problems and ended up guessing on too many questions since the time ran out. I suppose it is just test anxiety and building endurance for such a lengthy test is key to succeeding. I know, that is easier said than done.

Jam, I still have a dilemma since you think I need to take it next year. Yes, I do not favor waiting for the next cyle, but then I would have to cancel this score out.

Should I just take it for the experience or cancel it out? I understand that you guys can't tell me what to do here, but any advise is useful. Most schools do not accept February LSAT scores, but most schools also do not average the scores as much either (Meaning taking the Dec test and studying for the Feb for a higher score).

Just to throw it out there, I am not seeking to apply to any top 25 law schools since that is not in my range.

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:01 pm

thomasjmai22 wrote:emkay, I am taking it for this cycle and can't wait for the next either. Not that I am restricted in anyway, but that is my preference since I am not a traditional student. I think cancelling my score would be a bad decision also. It seems my options are very limited and I need to keep the score since withdrawing from this test is not an option.

As for your reply, jc, I tried taking a relaxed approach also and found that to be ineffective. I would spend too much time with certain problems and ended up guessing on too many questions since the time ran out. I suppose it is just test anxiety and building endurance for such a lengthy test is key to succeeding. I know, that is easier said than done.

Jam, I still have a dilemma since you think I need to take it next year. Yes, I do not favor waiting for the next cyle, but then I would have to cancel this score out.

Should I just take it for the experience or cancel it out? I understand that you guys can't tell me what to do here, but any advise is useful. Most schools do not accept February LSAT scores, but most schools also do not average the scores as much either (Meaning taking the Dec test and studying for the Feb for a higher score).

Just to throw it out there, I am not seeking to apply to any top 25 law schools since that is not in my range.

What is your GPA? What questions are giving you the most trouble? What schools do you want to attend?
or you could kill yourself.

thomasjmai22

Postby thomasjmai22 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:06 pm

What is your GPA? What questions are giving you the most trouble? What schools do you want to attend?
or you could kill yourself.[/quote]

It is 3.2. Not great so I am really relying on a good score.

I go through my answers and the incorrect ones are random. When I look at the question I got wrong, I wonder why the hell did I pick that since the correct answer is so obvious to me then. I completely understand assumption questions, but those seem to be the ones mostly missed.

Could I be making that many careless mistakes every time? I understand the material, but somehow I pick the wrong answers that I immediately consider a loser the second time around. I literally write the question number down, re-do those questions and I get them all correct. I should be getting a 160 and above according to this.

I want to apply to a specific area so I am looking at Pepperdine, Loyola, Santa Clara, Chapman, and even Southwestern (with scholarship only). I may have to keep my options open more than I had hoped.

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:08 pm

thomasjmai22 wrote:What is your GPA? What questions are giving you the most trouble? What schools do you want to attend?
or you could kill yourself.

It is 3.2. Not great so I am really relying on a good score.

I go through my answers and the incorrect ones are random. When I look at the question I got wrong, I wonder why the hell did I pick that since the correct answer is so obvious to me then. I completely understand assumption questions, but those seem to be the ones mostly missed.

Could I be making that many careless mistakes every time? I understand the material, but somehow I pick the wrong answers that I immediately consider a loser the second time around. I literally write the question number down, re-do those questions and I get them all correct. I should be getting a 160 and above according to this.

I want to apply to a specific area so I am looking at Pepperdine, Loyola, Santa Clara, Chapman, and even Southwestern (with scholarship only). I may have to keep my options open more than I had hoped.[/quote]

With those schools you should sit brah

thomasjmai22

Postby thomasjmai22 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:49 pm

So cancel the score and take the Feb.?

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:01 pm

thomasjmai22 wrote:So cancel the score and take the Feb.?

you're going to need around a 155 to get accepted to southwestern with that GPA, and that won't get you a scholly. What are you consistently scoring on your PT's? you gave a pretty wide range when you said 140-150. It sounds to me that you need to either lower your standard or sit because a 151 won't get you accepted to those schools :shock: unless you invent the cure for gay, which you obviously didn't .

thomasjmai22

Postby thomasjmai22 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:19 pm

Mr. Pancakes wrote:

you're going to need around a 155 to get accepted to southwestern with that GPA, and that won't get you a scholly. What are you consistently scoring on your PT's? you gave a pretty wide range when you said 140-150. It sounds to me that you need to either lower your standard or sit because a 151 won't get you accepted to those schools :shock: unless you invent the cure for gay, which you obviously didn't .

I have mostly been scoring closer to 150. Well I know of quite of few people below 150 that got into Southwestern, but did not get a scholarship. I won't lower my standard because I know I can score around a 160 or higher, but I obviously need more time to get up to that.

I guess I will drill away this week, rest Friday, and see how I feel it goes on test day.

The cure for gay is football and boobies! Am I accepted now??!!

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:24 pm

thomasjmai22 wrote:
Mr. Pancakes wrote:

I have mostly been scoring closer to 150. Well I know of quite of few people below 150 that got into Southwestern, but did not get a scholarship. I won't lower my standard because I know I can score around a 160 or higher, but I obviously need more time to get up to that.

I guess I will drill away this week, rest Friday, and see how I feel it goes on test day.

The cure for gay is football and boobies! Am I accepted now??!!

are you black?

thomasjmai22

Postby thomasjmai22 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:33 pm

nope. not URM

thomasjmai22

Postby thomasjmai22 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:46 pm

I've decided to take one more practice test after a half day's rest without studying. I will see if I was just burned out or not. If I don't got my target score of 155 or higher then I will just take the Dec. test and cancel it. I'll post the results.

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:53 pm

thomasjmai22 wrote:I've decided to take one more practice test after a half day's rest without studying. I will see if I was just burned out or not. If I don't got my target score of 155 or higher then I will just take the Dec. test and cancel it. I'll post the results.

you could get in at southwestern with slightly lower but you ain't getting money son. Good luck.

thomasjmai22

Postby thomasjmai22 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:09 pm

Then that is a trade-off I must consider. Going to take a test now...update soon.

thomasjmai22

Postby thomasjmai22 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:46 pm

Just an update, I am not going to keep my score. I will take the test for experience and depend on my Feb. score to apply. If schools reject me on the basis of a late application then next cycle it is. I will take a weekend program or get a tutor so I can be confident I will get the score I want/need in a couple months. Thanks for all the advice everyone and good luck!

somewherewarm

Postby somewherewarm » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:54 pm

thomasjmai22 wrote:Just an update, I am not going to keep my score. I will take the test for experience and depend on my Feb. score to apply. If schools reject me on the basis of a late application then next cycle it is. I will take a weekend program or get a tutor so I can be confident I will get the score I want/need in a couple months. Thanks for all the advice everyone and good luck!

Keep at it, you'll get it eventually. I recently decided not to take the December LSAT after studying three months so I can feel your pain to some extent on this. Look at the Powerscore Bibles again and think about looking at Manhattan LSAT for logic reasoning. You'll be clearing 160 in no time, hang in there.

thomasjmai22

Postby thomasjmai22 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:40 pm

somewherewarm wrote:
thomasjmai22 wrote:Just an update, I am not going to keep my score. I will take the test for experience and depend on my Feb. score to apply. If schools reject me on the basis of a late application then next cycle it is. I will take a weekend program or get a tutor so I can be confident I will get the score I want/need in a couple months. Thanks for all the advice everyone and good luck!

Keep at it, you'll get it eventually. I recently decided not to take the December LSAT after studying three months so I can feel your pain to some extent on this. Look at the Powerscore Bibles again and think about looking at Manhattan LSAT for logic reasoning. You'll be clearing 160 in no time, hang in there.

Thanks for the encouragement. Yea, I plan on finding another method to supplement the Powerscore Bibles. Is this your first LSAT as well? Did you think about taking the Dec. test for the experience and cancel?

somewherewarm

Postby somewherewarm » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:39 pm

Oh you're welcome. This test was actually going to be my third but my second test was in the mid-high 160s so I'm just letting that be my final score...Getting experience is good though, if you don't end up taking the December test at all there are some practice test administrations given by Kaplan and Powerscore and possibly a few other companies, those are good for getting some experience in a slightly more pressure-filled atmosphere.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”