Are "not" laws always effective?

osgiliath

Are "not" laws always effective?

Postby osgiliath » Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:53 am

Well, as the title says, i was wondering if not-laws are always the way to go. Today I ran into a game where trying to place not laws completely overwhelmed me and completely shot my confidence - I answered like 2 questions, and could not even attempt to figure the game out with unlimited time, due to frustration.

If you guys were wondering, the game is in PT 29 (October 1994), Game 4.

Thanks guys

ThePhoenix88

Re: Are "not" laws always effective?

Postby ThePhoenix88 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:44 pm

Are you talking about the chemical experiment one? There really isn't any not laws in the game. The only thing we can deduce from the rules is that you can have either one or two experiments.

When looking for not laws you want to look at the rules and find ones that have restrictions on placement. For example B>G you know G can't come first and B can't come last. Or if you try to place a variable in a certain slot and you can't place other variables because of the rules of the game.

Those two aren't the only ways to find not laws but I think they are the most common.

Also, remember that not every game is going to have not laws. The biggest thing I had trouble with at the start of studying for the lsat is trying to find as many deductions as possible. I realized that while having a strong diagram is important it does you no good to spend 6 minutes on it and then miss answering questions as a result. The diagram isn't taken into account for your lsat score only your answers are.

ExcelBaller

Re: Are "not" laws always effective?

Postby ExcelBaller » Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:46 pm

I typically only put the obvious not laws in, like "C cant go in 3" or "C goes before B and D," I would make a not law like C can't be last or second to last, and B and D can't be first. I never do it on pure sequencing games because there is a lot to juggle at once and I like to keep an open mind. Sometimes in a sequencing game it will appear on the surface that a variable is going to be first, then I get to making hypotheticals and realize it doesn't have to be first. On these game types I try to link the rules and construct blocks that have to be in a certain order, then the remaining variables (I can't link) I draw a little line to their possible places. This is helpful when you get to those annoying could be true questions.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”