Working for Powerscore?

Elston Gunn

Working for Powerscore?

Postby Elston Gunn » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:04 pm

(I tried to search for an answer, but I couldn't figure out how to filter results to not give page upon page of people working through Powerscore Bibles, so it'd be great if someone could just direct me to a relevant thread.)

Has anyone worked for Powerscore? Is it generally considered a better work environment than Kaplan? What's the training/hiring process like, etc, assuming you have a qualifying LSAT score?

Thanks in advance.

bgdddymtty

Re: Working for Powerscore?

Postby bgdddymtty » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:11 pm

I haven't worked for Powerscore, but I do currently work for TestMasters, and I love it. The money's really good, the work is plentiful (I'm a 2L and had to turn down some tutoring hours for the December test because between my law school classes, my TM class, and my other tutoring students, I'm completely swamped), the course is fantastic, and I've never worked for a nicer, more supportive group of people. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

suspicious android

Postby suspicious android » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:37 pm

The fact that Powerscore pays significantly more should by itself make it a much more attractive working environment. Same with TM, BP, etc.

From what I gather, most of these companies are fairly good to work for; since they have a tough time recruiting qualified candidates, they tend to treat their employees much better than other non-career oriented jobs. I work on and off part-time for a prep company and it's been a great experience, I'd highly recommend it to anyone looking for something to keep them occupied before law school or just while figuring out what to do with their life.

I'd contact several of the higher paying companies first, see who's hiring in your area.

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:45 pm

I work for powerscore in a secondary market, and I always have plenty of tutoring hours and classes. The company is easy to work with and the material is solid. Let me know here or via PM if you have specific questions.

Manhattan LSAT Noah

Postby Manhattan LSAT Noah » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:58 pm

We're looking for folks, particularly in Chicago, Philly, DC, and some other smaller places. http://www.manhattanlsat.com/instructor-job.cfm

We pay $100/hr + prep time and we're friendly. :)

emkay625

Postby emkay625 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:02 pm

I have no idea how working for Powerscore is, but I'm sure it's better than working for Kaplan.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:06 pm

We just upped our instructor pay to $100/hr + prep time. We're always looking for people (who would have thought that outgoing high scorers would be rare?), especially in our expansion locations.

Working for Blueprint has been a great experience, and I'd highly recommend it. Feel free to PM with any specific questions.

-Edit- We have a graded pay scale - the first class you teach is $60, second is $75, and then $100 for any after that.
Last edited by bp shinners on Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

suspicious android

Postby suspicious android » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:39 pm

bp shinners wrote:We just upped our instructor pay to $100/hr + prep time. We're always looking for people (who would have thought that outgoing high scorers would be rare?), especially in our expansion locations.

Nice. So what are the big companies paying now?

Manhattan: $100/hr
BP: $100/hr
PS: ?
TM: ?

TatteredDignity

Postby TatteredDignity » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:14 pm

PS: 25 for classes, 50 for tutoring.

tedler

Postby tedler » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:26 pm

Last edited by tedler on Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bgdddymtty

Postby bgdddymtty » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:27 pm

TM: $30/$40 for classes depending on location, $50 for tutoring, plus prep at $10

suspicious android

Postby suspicious android » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:06 am

tedler wrote:Semi-related question: how does working for an LSAT prep company look to law schools, compared to something like working in a law office? Thinking about what to do with my year off, and teaching the LSAT seems like a great option, but I'm worried it may not look as good as my other options.

Unless you have a really cool job, your one year of employment is not going to be much of a bonus. Don't let that determine what kind of job you take. I've worked with lots of people who taught LSAT and went on to good schools, the top 10 is lousy with former LSAT instructors as far as I can tell.

Anyway, about salaries: wow, I thought TM and PS paid a lot more than that.

minnesotasam

Postby minnesotasam » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:42 pm

bgdddymtty wrote:TM: $30/$40 for classes depending on location, $50 for tutoring, plus prep at $10

This is (partially) inaccurate.

bgdddymtty

Postby bgdddymtty » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:02 pm

minnesotasam wrote:
bgdddymtty wrote:TM: $30/$40 for classes depending on location, $50 for tutoring, plus prep at $10

This is (partially) inaccurate.

Hey, Sam! Long time, no see. I was giving a simplified version of the pay scale. Feel free to elaborate.

minnesotasam

Postby minnesotasam » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:20 pm

Haha not until I figure out who you are!

minnesotasam

Postby minnesotasam » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:40 pm

Well your profile sure cleared that up quickly. Hope all is well man. TM pays $30-$50 afaik.

Manhattan LSAT Noah

Postby Manhattan LSAT Noah » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:28 pm

suspicious android wrote:Nice. So what are the big companies paying now?

Since this seems to be the current thread for TLSers to look up pay rates - and most of us are looking for new teachers - tutoring pay should go in here too. I put in the info that folks have put in this thread and on some websites. Please correct the info if it's wrong.

Manhattan: Teaching $100/hr; Tutoring: $100/hr
BP: Teaching $100/hr for third class and beyond; Tutoring: $60/hr
PS: Teaching $25/hr; Tutoring: $50/hr
TM: Teaching $30-$50/hr; Tutoring:$50/hr

bgdddymtty

Postby bgdddymtty » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:17 pm

Manhattan LSAT Noah wrote:
suspicious android wrote:Nice. So what are the big companies paying now?

Since this seems to be the current thread for TLSers to look up pay rates - and most of us are looking for new teachers - tutoring pay should go in here too. I put in the info that folks have put in this thread and on some websites. Please correct the info if it's wrong.

Manhattan: Teaching $100/hr; Tutoring: $100/hr
BP: Teaching $100/hr for third class and beyond; Tutoring: $60/hr
PS: Teaching $25/hr; Tutoring: $50/hr
TM: Teaching $30-$50/hr; Tutoring:$50/hr
Of course, that's only half of the equation. Also relevant is the number of hours available. TM and (apparently) PS offer work in abundance. How do Manhattan and BP stack up there, Noah and shinners? (I'm not trying to pick a fight here; I'm sincerely curious.)

Manhattan LSAT Noah

Postby Manhattan LSAT Noah » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:31 pm

Most of our teachers start turning down teaching work after a while. Work of course depends on the market, but if someone needs more work, we put them on online teaching or on our forums, or send them curriculum or office hours work. Frankly, at $100/hr, we find everyone to be quite happy.

bgdddymtty

Postby bgdddymtty » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:54 pm

Manhattan LSAT Noah wrote:Most of our teachers start turning down teaching work after a while. Work of course depends on the market, but if someone needs more work, we put them on online teaching or on our forums, or send them curriculum or office hours work. Frankly, at $100/hr, we find everyone to be quite happy.
Word. Thanks for the response.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:45 pm

Since I finished my first class (which, obviously, they're going to underbook me while seeing how I do), I haven't ever had a time period where I wanted more work than I had available to take on. With our recent expansion, we've been inundated with extra work, so there's no shortage of tutoring hours or classes. Also, if you sign up as an application consultant, there's plenty of work in that area as well.

sabrinasinser

Postby sabrinasinser » Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:58 pm

Manhattan LSAT Noah wrote:Most of our teachers start turning down teaching work after a while. Work of course depends on the market, but if someone needs more work, we put them on online teaching or on our forums, or send them curriculum or office hours work. Frankly, at $100/hr, we find everyone to be quite happy.

Noah, you are full of it. Manhattan (which is owned by Kaplan) has hardly any students and cancels most of the live classes it advertises. Apparently the $$$ Kaplan's been giving you to hustle on this board hasn't paid off much.

zworykin

Postby zworykin » Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:18 pm

sabrinasinser wrote:

Noah, you are full of it. Manhattan (which is owned by Kaplan) has hardly any students and cancels most of the live classes it advertises. Apparently the $$$ Kaplan's been giving you to hustle on this board hasn't paid off much.

Wow. Two posts, one attacking Manhattan and the other attacking Blueprint.

Wonder which company you work for... :roll:

sabrinasinser

Postby sabrinasinser » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:55 pm

zworykin wrote:
sabrinasinser wrote:

Wow. Two posts, one attacking Manhattan and the other attacking Blueprint.

Wonder which company you work for... :roll:

PS

But unlike Manhattan and Blueprint, they don't pay us to recruit customers on here.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”