Kaplan Summer Intensive Program Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
lawguy310

New

Kaplan Summer Intensive Program

Post by lawguy310 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:44 am

Should I even bother studying prior to this program this upcoming summer? The representative from Kaplan told me not to waste my time studying LSAT books because the Intensive Program they have will be good enough. I told him I want to score a 170 or above and he said this would be enough.

Should I listen to him and not bother preparing for the LSAT prior to the summer program? I feel like everyone is preparing NOW and I'm a little "behind" so to speak. I don't know if I should bother studying because the techniques I might develop throughout my own personal practice might conflict with those of the program. I want to do the program because I need the structured environment.

My only issue is if I should still review before the program? Will it be helpful? Worth it? Or a waste of time because it might be taught a different way?

Thanks in advance to all who can help me.

lats19nys

New

Re: Kaplan Summer Intensive Program

Post by lats19nys » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:48 am

Well this is tricky because it really can differ based on how exactly you are going to practice on your own. Although the basic concepts all the books use are similar, it can get a little confusing if you learn one way on your own and another with Kaplan. I don't know, I personally found along with all the high scorers I know that Powerscore teaches logic games the best. The other sections honestly I found were pretty much more repetition. You can also think of some formal logic games in like math terms. Hmm, maybe if you are committed to the Kaplan method, get some Kaplan books and try to get a basic understanding of what they're teaching. If you practice those things, at least when they teach you, you can use them as basically enhancing your knowledge and shoring up any loose ends.
Basically, if it was me, I would practice a little bit. Honestly, I didn't take a prepcourse and scored a 173 and was frankly a bit disappointed. I always felt with prep, honestly, aside from logic games what can they even really teach people you know? So many people have this impression not just with LSATs but standardized tests in general that these prep courses have some magic pill. In the end, your best bet is hard work. Also, you can find almost all the tests online if you know where to look :). GL!

xChiTowNx

Bronze

Re: Kaplan Summer Intensive Program

Post by xChiTowNx » Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:21 pm

OP have you seen this thread yet?

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=166904&hilit=summer+intensive

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”