Brain Supplements

Rickjames11
Posts: 38
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:29 pm

Brain Supplements

Postby Rickjames11 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:40 am

Has anyone tried DHA and/or ginkgo, perhaps others? Thoughts?

071816
Posts: 5511
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:06 pm

Re: Brain Supplements

Postby 071816 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:45 am

Image

Rickjames11
Posts: 38
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:29 pm

Re: Brain Supplements

Postby Rickjames11 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:27 am

Haha chimp you tickle me.

User avatar
pizzabrosauce
Posts: 74
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:06 pm

Re: Brain Supplements

Postby pizzabrosauce » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:49 am

By taking it all the time, you might gain some discipline, but physiologically its just placebo.

User avatar
ngogirl
Posts: 125
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:40 pm

Re: Brain Supplements

Postby ngogirl » Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:42 am

I personally think they slow your cognitive processes, not enhance them...

Try green/white teas and fish.

User avatar
Sloth Hero
Posts: 233
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:32 pm

Re: Brain Supplements

Postby Sloth Hero » Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:46 am

If you are interested in nootropics i'd recommend

1g piracetam 3x daily
1g choline bitartrate 2x daily (take in afternoon and evening with the piracetam)
-choline can sometimes make people sleepy, so don't take it in afternoon if you still have work

500mg-1g of Focus XT 40 mins before you are going to start working.
-Focus XT is a stack that contains: choline, l-tyrosine, Huperzine A, Acetyl-L-Carnitine, DMAE, Vinpocetine

This regiment puts me in the zone and definitely assists short-term memory (godly-helpful for LSAT), as well as increases mood/motivation.

This is a good starter-setup for cognition enhancers. You can also try adding ALCAR, picamillon, PEA (fights with absorption with piracetam, so use one or the other), and there are many others if you do your research.

If you are going to be taking nootropics make sure you are on a good multivitamin and that you are getting an adequate amount of protein and calories.

ExcelBaller
Posts: 91
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:10 pm

Re: Brain Supplements

Postby ExcelBaller » Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:20 pm

Call Bradley Cooper for a few NZTs

thederangedwang
Posts: 1124
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 9:44 pm

Re: Brain Supplements

Postby thederangedwang » Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:41 pm

eat a lot of walnuts n almonds

User avatar
3v3ryth1ng
Posts: 295
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:48 pm

Re: Brain Supplements

Postby 3v3ryth1ng » Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:12 pm

I heard Methamphetamine can help you focus for extended periods of time. That's what I did. I finished PTs 40-50 last night.

bruss
Posts: 470
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 3:58 am

Re: Brain Supplements

Postby bruss » Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:42 pm

Sloth Hero wrote:
500mg-1g of Focus XT 40 mins before you are going to start working.
-Focus XT is a stack that contains: choline, l-tyrosine, Huperzine A, Acetyl-L-Carnitine, DMAE, Vinpocetine

This regiment puts me in the zone and definitely assists short-term memory (godly-helpful for LSAT), as well as increases mood/motivation.............If you are going to be taking nootropics make sure you are on a good multivitamin and that you are getting an adequate amount of protein and calories.

this!
1/2-1 gallon of water and you are set!
But if you are scared/unhealthy just get focus fast:'(

Rickjames11
Posts: 38
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:29 pm

Re: Brain Supplements

Postby Rickjames11 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:57 pm

ExcelBaller wrote:Call Bradley Cooper for a few NZTs


+1

User avatar
LexLeon
Posts: 400
Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:03 pm

Re: Brain Supplements

Postby LexLeon » Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:29 am

I'm a health FREAK, and this is my recommendation:

Don't go out of your way to take "supplements"; but regularly incorporate superfoods into your diet, e.g., the below:

1. Flaxseed meal (easily incorporated into oatmeal)
2. +1 to the gentleman that recommended Walnuts; all nuts, especially Walnuts are excellent for your brain
3. WILD Alaskan Salmon (The ultimate source of DHA)
4. Blueberries--and all dark fruits, like Pomegranate
5. Green Tea

Of course, the list goes on. But most importantly, stay well hydrated (but plan properly for when you'll need to sit for the first three sections and then some), well rested (~8 hours a night), and eat healthily in general, excluding gluttonous amounts of alcohol (a glass of wine is fine) and other drugs (except the bit of caffeine in tea), trans fat/fast food/really salty food, artificial preservatives, and candy, which will ruin your concentration, etc.

PM if you want to hear more. You're doing awesome! Keep up the good work.

User avatar
Sloth Hero
Posts: 233
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:32 pm

Re: Brain Supplements

Postby Sloth Hero » Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:37 pm

lexleon wrote:I'm a health FREAK, and this is my recommendation:

Don't go out of your way to take "supplements"; but regularly incorporate superfoods into your diet, e.g., the below:

1. Flaxseed meal (easily incorporated into oatmeal)
2. +1 to the gentleman that recommended Walnuts; all nuts, especially Walnuts are excellent for your brain
3. WILD Alaskan Salmon (The ultimate source of DHA)
4. Blueberries--and all dark fruits, like Pomegranate
5. Green Tea

Of course, the list goes on. But most importantly, stay well hydrated (but plan properly for when you'll need to sit for the first three sections and then some), well rested (~8 hours a night), and eat healthily in general, excluding gluttonous amounts of alcohol (a glass of wine is fine) and other drugs (except the bit of caffeine in tea), trans fat/fast food/really salty food, artificial preservatives, and candy, which will ruin your concentration, etc.

PM if you want to hear more. You're doing awesome! Keep up the good work.


Great recommendations, and of course essential to your diet. If you do this and take the nootropic stack I recommended you will unleash some serious brain potential.

User avatar
ResolutePear
Posts: 8614
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Re: Brain Supplements

Postby ResolutePear » Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:46 pm

Image

penguinbrah
Posts: 74
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:20 am

Re: Brain Supplements

Postby penguinbrah » Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:50 pm

Sloth Hero wrote:If you are interested in nootropics i'd recommend

1g piracetam 3x daily
1g choline bitartrate 2x daily (take in afternoon and evening with the piracetam)
-choline can sometimes make people sleepy, so don't take it in afternoon if you still have work

500mg-1g of Focus XT 40 mins before you are going to start working.
-Focus XT is a stack that contains: choline, l-tyrosine, Huperzine A, Acetyl-L-Carnitine, DMAE, Vinpocetine

This regiment puts me in the zone and definitely assists short-term memory (godly-helpful for LSAT), as well as increases mood/motivation.

This is a good starter-setup for cognition enhancers. You can also try adding ALCAR, picamillon, PEA (fights with absorption with piracetam, so use one or the other), and there are many others if you do your research.

If you are going to be taking nootropics make sure you are on a good multivitamin and that you are getting an adequate amount of protein and calories.





do you even lift?


edit: good regimen btw. I wouldn't recommend taking piracetam at the same time as the choline - will probably make you sleepy. take choline at night time- 1-2 grams.. and then take 1.6-2.4g piracetam with 500mg alcar in the morning (never take piracetam by itself) and then you can take focus xt a little bit after also.. just sip on it while u study

User avatar
TrojanHopeful
Posts: 385
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:37 am

Re: Brain Supplements

Postby TrojanHopeful » Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:06 pm

ExcelBaller wrote:Call Bradley Cooper for a few NZTs

:lol: +1

All I could think about when I was watching that movie was how helpful those things would be for the lsat.

penguinbrah
Posts: 74
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:20 am

Re: Brain Supplements

Postby penguinbrah » Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:16 pm

also check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEHVz5XCmBs

listen to binaural beats in the range of beta waves before beginning your practice... within the 20-40hz range find a number that works best for you. I found that 20 hz works the best for me.. really puts me in the zone for drilling questions. sometimes i listen to it while drilling also.


if you want to something to help you remember the material you have just learned before sleeping for the long term listen to this right before you go to sleep:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bf5ha8Zt ... re=related


edit: you have to use headphones or else it wont work and dont listen to it too loud. if youre listening to it at the same time as some music... the binaural beats volume should be at half that of the music.. so put your music at 50% and your binaurals at 25%

User avatar
theavrock
Posts: 601
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:52 pm

Re: Brain Supplements

Postby theavrock » Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:36 pm

^^^
Interested in this, but please explain...

penguinbrah
Posts: 74
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:20 am

Re: Brain Supplements

Postby penguinbrah » Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:06 pm

theavrock wrote:^^^
Interested in this, but please explain...



look up "binaural beats".

Our brains have a certain range of frequency that it operates in. They range from gamma, beta, alpha, theta, and delta.

When our brains are at the highest and most active states (sports, thinking, arguing, wide awake, alert, etc.) they are in the beta states. Beta corresponds with logic, reasoning, problem solving, and active focus - athletes are also known to be in this and the gamma stage during times of high focus and competition. People with ADD/ADHD lack these brain waves and are mostly in the the alpha and theta states. Alpha waves correspond to a relaxed mindset, and we are in theta in REM sleep I believe and delta when we are in deep sleep. However I believe that theta and delta corresponds to memory and learning retention - so when reading something right before bed that you want to put in to long term memory it may help to put your brain in theta or delta states. Theta and delta states also correspond to higher levels of meditation/outer body experiences/astral travel.

By listening to these binaural beats.. we can "entrain" our brains to be in the state that we desire to be in. That's why when you listen to the 20-40 hz beta waves.. it puts your brain in a beta wave state and increases focus etc.

Just google binaural beats and brain waves there's a lot of information on it. Also a website called mentallion or something has a lot of good information and different wave frequencies that you can listen to for different brain states

User avatar
Sloth Hero
Posts: 233
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:32 pm

Re: Brain Supplements

Postby Sloth Hero » Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:41 pm

penguinbrah wrote:
Sloth Hero wrote:If you are interested in nootropics i'd recommend

1g piracetam 3x daily
1g choline bitartrate 2x daily (take in afternoon and evening with the piracetam)
-choline can sometimes make people sleepy, so don't take it in afternoon if you still have work

500mg-1g of Focus XT 40 mins before you are going to start working.
-Focus XT is a stack that contains: choline, l-tyrosine, Huperzine A, Acetyl-L-Carnitine, DMAE, Vinpocetine

This regiment puts me in the zone and definitely assists short-term memory (godly-helpful for LSAT), as well as increases mood/motivation.

This is a good starter-setup for cognition enhancers. You can also try adding ALCAR, picamillon, PEA (fights with absorption with piracetam, so use one or the other), and there are many others if you do your research.

If you are going to be taking nootropics make sure you are on a good multivitamin and that you are getting an adequate amount of protein and calories.





do you even lift?


edit: good regimen btw. I wouldn't recommend taking piracetam at the same time as the choline - will probably make you sleepy. take choline at night time- 1-2 grams.. and then take 1.6-2.4g piracetam with 500mg alcar in the morning (never take piracetam by itself) and then you can take focus xt a little bit after also.. just sip on it while u study


I don't lift that hard, requires too much time and too much sleep. I have way too much stuff to do.

And that's why i take piracetam with focus xt, because it has alcar and a little bit of choline in it. taking alcar by itself and taking focus xt afterwards might be a bit too much

penguinbrah
Posts: 74
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:20 am

Re: Brain Supplements

Postby penguinbrah » Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:44 pm

Sloth Hero wrote:
penguinbrah wrote:
Sloth Hero wrote:If you are interested in nootropics i'd recommend

1g piracetam 3x daily
1g choline bitartrate 2x daily (take in afternoon and evening with the piracetam)
-choline can sometimes make people sleepy, so don't take it in afternoon if you still have work

500mg-1g of Focus XT 40 mins before you are going to start working.
-Focus XT is a stack that contains: choline, l-tyrosine, Huperzine A, Acetyl-L-Carnitine, DMAE, Vinpocetine

This regiment puts me in the zone and definitely assists short-term memory (godly-helpful for LSAT), as well as increases mood/motivation.

This is a good starter-setup for cognition enhancers. You can also try adding ALCAR, picamillon, PEA (fights with absorption with piracetam, so use one or the other), and there are many others if you do your research.

If you are going to be taking nootropics make sure you are on a good multivitamin and that you are getting an adequate amount of protein and calories.





do you even lift?


edit: good regimen btw. I wouldn't recommend taking piracetam at the same time as the choline - will probably make you sleepy. take choline at night time- 1-2 grams.. and then take 1.6-2.4g piracetam with 500mg alcar in the morning (never take piracetam by itself) and then you can take focus xt a little bit after also.. just sip on it while u study


I don't lift that hard, requires too much time and too much sleep. I have way too much stuff to do.

And that's why i take piracetam with focus xt, because it has alcar and a little bit of choline in it. taking alcar by itself and taking focus xt afterwards might be a bit too much


i asked because most people from a bodybuilding background have heard of focus xt -- "do you even lift" was a meme from another forum lol thought you might've seen it because there's always talk about focus xt and piracetam etc.


yea i agree alcar at 500mg plus focus xt would be overkill.

tomjennings
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:54 pm

Re: Brain Supplements

Postby tomjennings » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:12 am

I have been taking a B vitamin and DMAE every morning for about a month, and I feel better than I ever have. If you don't mind bright yellow urine, I would suggest taking these for endurance, energy, and concentration.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Alexandros and 3 guests