Considering taking a year off to tutor LSAT

User avatar
john1990
Posts: 1211
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:49 pm

Considering taking a year off to tutor LSAT

Postby john1990 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:05 am

I scored a 166 with a 3.28 and i am considering taking a year off to teach the LSAT to make some money and then retake next June or October. I had my web interview already and i think it went well. Do you think some one could increase their score by teaching the LSAT for a year? Also, i should have a 3.7 senior year (continuing my trend) so my GPA will likely go up to a 3.4
I have heard many people advocate taking a year off and i am concerned about the job market. However, if i get into GW/Fordham/Emory i may just go...
Any thoughts :mrgreen:

User avatar
Tim0thy222
Posts: 341
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:57 am

Re: Considering taking a year off to tutor LSAT

Postby Tim0thy222 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:30 am

john1990 wrote:I scored a 166 with a 3.28 and i am considering taking a year off to teach the LSAT to make some money and then retake next June or October. I had my web interview already and i think it went well. Do you think some one could increase their score by teaching the LSAT for a year? Also, i should have a 3.7 senior year (continuing my trend) so my GPA will likely go up to a 3.4
I have heard many people advocate taking a year off and i am concerned about the job market. However, if i get into GW/Fordham/Emory i may just go...
Any thoughts :mrgreen:


I don't see anything wrong with taking a year off and teaching for Kaplan if you're not in a rush. I don't think teaching for Kaplan alone will increase your score though, as I think you may have gone as far as their methods can take you (this is just based on my personal experiences with them). But if you teach for Kaplan and do some studying on the side (powerscore, velocity, something like that), I think it's likely you could get yourself into the 170's.

I actually was in a similar position as you in that I was going to go to a T30 straight out of UG, then took a year off instead. I didn't even plan on retaking, but once I had the time off I decided to, and my score greatly improved. Now I'm looking at much better schools than I was before, so I definitely think it's a good idea. One year isn't a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but the school you attend is. Also, the difference between a 3.28 and a 3.4 seems significant based on what I've seen on LSN, so throw that in the mix, and you seem to have a lot to gain by waiting a year if you aren't in a rush.

User avatar
ThreeRivers
Posts: 1142
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:54 am

Re: Considering taking a year off to tutor LSAT

Postby ThreeRivers » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:22 pm

Semi-off topic and in no way an indictment on you (I think you should teach the course in your situation)

How the !@#!$!$!$# does Kaplan only require tutors to have a 163? I just got a 167 in October and the thought of me trying to teach people like I'm an expert is laughable imo

User avatar
Kabuo
Posts: 1114
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:53 am

Re: Considering taking a year off to tutor LSAT

Postby Kabuo » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:34 pm

ThreeRivers wrote:Semi-off topic and in no way an indictment on you (I think you should teach the course in your situation)

How the !@#!$!$!$# does Kaplan only require tutors to have a 163? I just got a 167 in October and the thought of me trying to teach people like I'm an expert is laughable imo


Gets funnier. Your score doesn't even have to be from a real LSAT administration.

-Still annoyed Kaplan didn't hire me.

User avatar
ThreeRivers
Posts: 1142
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:54 am

Re: Considering taking a year off to tutor LSAT

Postby ThreeRivers » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:37 pm

Kabuo wrote:
ThreeRivers wrote:Semi-off topic and in no way an indictment on you (I think you should teach the course in your situation)

How the !@#!$!$!$# does Kaplan only require tutors to have a 163? I just got a 167 in October and the thought of me trying to teach people like I'm an expert is laughable imo


Gets funnier. Your score doesn't even have to be from a real LSAT administration.

-Still annoyed Kaplan didn't hire me.

what the....

so a 163 pt = GOOD TO GO?

User avatar
Kabuo
Posts: 1114
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:53 am

Re: Considering taking a year off to tutor LSAT

Postby Kabuo » Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:54 pm

ThreeRivers wrote:what the....

so a 163 pt = GOOD TO GO?


As long as they proctor it.

theaether
Posts: 163
Joined: Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:17 am

Re: Considering taking a year off to tutor LSAT

Postby theaether » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:00 pm

if you taught it for a year your score would definitely see an increase just from raw familiarity, comfort, and repetition

User avatar
20130312
Posts: 3842
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:53 pm

Re: Considering taking a year off to tutor LSAT

Postby 20130312 » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:00 pm

Kabuo wrote:
ThreeRivers wrote:what the....

so a 163 pt = GOOD TO GO?


As long as they proctor it.


:shock:

Gonna go apply right now...

User avatar
ThreeRivers
Posts: 1142
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:54 am

Re: Considering taking a year off to tutor LSAT

Postby ThreeRivers » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:05 pm

I'm debating this... can you just teach a Saturday class or something?
What is the process to become one?

I'd make more doing this than working at Red Robin every Saturday lol

I'm kind of torn though:
I'd be a shitty teacher so it might not be right / would just be a broke college kid trying to get some free cash

User avatar
Kabuo
Posts: 1114
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:53 am

Re: Considering taking a year off to tutor LSAT

Postby Kabuo » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:12 pm

ThreeRivers wrote:I'm debating this... can you just teach a Saturday class or something?
What is the process to become one?

I'd make more doing this than working at Red Robin every Saturday lol

I'm kind of torn though:
I'd be a shitty teacher so it might not be right / would just be a broke college kid trying to get some free cash


What is not right is the system that lets, and in fact encourages, you to teach it. Go ahead and apply. I only lasted to the weird group webcam interview, but I know there's at least one other stage after that. I've heard that while 163 is the minimum, most people they hire do have above a 170.

AbhiJ
Posts: 66
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:16 pm

Re: Considering taking a year off to tutor LSAT

Postby AbhiJ » Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:29 am

Teaching is a great way , probably the best, to iron out your concepts. When you know that you are going to face kids who are paying to listen to you - you will try extra hard to understand the nuances of concepts. You will also try to develop your own skeleton notes to drive home the point.
Having said that taking the last few months off at the end - to focus your prepration would be most beneficial.

yipeng024
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:27 am

Re: Considering taking a year off to tutor LSAT

Postby yipeng024 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 7:47 am

.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: kakistocracy, MichiganHoosier and 5 guests