Retaking LSAT in February, best study options

ktdc0623

Retaking LSAT in February, best study options

Postby ktdc0623 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:09 am

I just took the October LSAT and scored a 160. My initial diagnostic was a 153 without ever seeing an official LSAT before. I took a Powerscore full-length course but didn't do much of the homework. I did, however, show up to every class and take all 4 practice tests. Basically, I think I gave about 70% of my effort. I could have done more but I have a fulltime job and a family and no delusions of T14 schools. I was just trying to balance life/studying and break into the 160s. When I got my score back I was OK with it-- I was slightly disappointed because I was expecting a few more points but I wasn't devastated.

However, my top-choice law school contacted me last week after getting my application and told me they would like to hold it and have me retake the LSAT in February and bump up a few points. She said she believes I will be admitted if I do this. My husband is an alum of said law school (which she mentioned in her call) and I believe this is what may have prompted her to call me as opposed to just let me be put into the reject pile. Anyhow, I have decided to take her advice.

I do not want this to be a waste of my time and money. I did not enjoy the LSAT at all and thought I would never, under any circumstances retake it. However, I guess I want this school bad enough to do it. Is it realistic to improve by 4 points to their median of 164 in this period of time knowing that I just took a full-length course and got the 160?

If so, what is my best bet-- another course, self study, private tutor? Games are my weakness by far, I never really "got" them, I just managed to BS my way through the best I could. RC is nearly perfect and LR is strong. I am leaning towards a tutor but I'd love to hear your opinions/advice. Thanks!

MachineLemon

Re: Retaking LSAT in February, best study options

Postby MachineLemon » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:53 pm

I see you took four practice tests with the class... How many have you taken total?

ktdc0623

Postby ktdc0623 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:00 pm

TylerM wrote:I see you took four practice tests with the class... How many have you taken total?

I took the 4 practice tests and the real LSAT in Oct., that's it. Practice tests were 153, 158, 158, 160.

MachineLemon

Postby MachineLemon » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:41 pm

Alright, taking more practice test would be my first suggestion. You should take as many as possible before the test. A prep class can tell you what you're doing wrong, but they cannot make that knowledge intuitive. At least, not in the way that taking many practice tests will.

Since you're struggling with games, I would start with this book of tests (the 30s):

http://www.amazon.com/Next-Actual-Official-LSAT-PrepTests/dp/0979305055/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1321395885&sr=8-2

I'd also take try to take the tests in the 50s to keep that RC sharp (the 50's have the new comparative reading section). Also, I suggest cannibalizing the PTs in the 20s for LR and LG section practice. At the very least, you should take 20 practice tests. I would aim for taking two full tests a week, occasionally subbing a section practice when time is tight. Also, try to complete one game (one quarter of a section) every day.

Time yourself, and review your answers until you understand every mistake. The LSAT is the most important thing on your application. It seems like you're set on this school, but do weigh the risks of applying later in the cycle. If you rock the LSAT and strike out on scholly money this February, it might be worth it to wait and year and reapply. Could save you 100 grand in debt.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”