LG Strategy Qs

the_pakalypse

LG Strategy Qs

Postby the_pakalypse » Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:29 pm

How often do you guys use the rules mentally to get deductions/recognize what breaks answer choices? And how often do you guys use the answer choices and create templates? I do much more of the former, but for some reason I'm still not that quick on many types of games..

Also, when should you identify the templates/create all the possibilities? I have done a lot of games but I still don't utilize this strategy much - this might be something slowing me down. Is having a question like "how many different people can go in slot X" an indicator that this game can be solved using identifying the templates?

msblaw89

Re: LG Strategy Qs

Postby msblaw89 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:40 pm

Mastering the possibilities isn't necessary if you can make a great base diagram. Start by creating your base diagram with the rules provided, and create all of the deductions you can based on the initial rules. You will usually be able to knock out at least the 1st two question with your initial base diagram. If a question poses a new rule or a hypothetical, then create hypotheticals based on your original base diagram.
By far the best way to cut down time in the LG section is to become great at making inferences and deductions you can place in your base diagram. This will more often then not come with lots of practice.

the_pakalypse

Postby the_pakalypse » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:27 pm

I thought that too but I feel like the later preptests (50+) are a bit different - they don't have nearly as many inferences to make.

6lehderjets

Postby 6lehderjets » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:38 pm

I had fallen in love with the master the possibilities and that was an inefficient move. Looking at Powerscore's categorization of LSAT games, the LSAT usually only has one game that will allow you to identify the template or possibilities so use that approach in a conservative manner.

When you have blocks in games that is sometimes a good indicator for identify the possibilities because if you 6 days in game and a rules imposes a block like B must is separated from A by exactly 2 days will definitely limit how the variables can be allocated. Numerical distribution is another good one so if you see a rule that F must have at least twice as many visitors than G that should give clue into a limited numerical distribution.

SplitLife

Postby SplitLife » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:26 pm

A lot of time it's not about actually mastering the possibilities/scenarios, often times its more about just correctly identifying the fact that they are there and kind of keeping that in the back of your mind as you go through the questions. In my experience I've found myself wasting time drawing out all the possibilities. Now I just realize they are there and only draw them out if I have to, as I go through the questions. The battle will be won or lost after you read the stimulus and the rules, what you do after that isn't AS important, usually.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”