Lengthy Sufficient/Necessary Assumption

ExcelBaller

Lengthy Sufficient/Necessary Assumption

Postby ExcelBaller » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:43 pm

I haven't locked these down yet. When the stimulus is shorter I can easily diagram and get the answer, but when the question are loaded with a lot of information and the answer choices are all conditional statements I just get lost. Is there a better way than diagramming all this information or possibly a method to quickly eliminate wrong answer choices? Any input on dealing with these lengthy questions.

JamMasterJ

Re: Lengthy Sufficient/Necessary Assumption

Postby JamMasterJ » Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:06 am

ExcelBaller wrote:I haven't locked these down yet. When the stimulus is shorter I can easily diagram and get the answer, but when the question are loaded with a lot of information and the answer choices are all conditional statements I just get lost. Is there a better way than diagramming all this information or possibly a method to quickly eliminate wrong answer choices? Any input on dealing with these lengthy questions.

the biggest thing to look for is making sure modifiers, such as "most," "some," and "all," match between the stim and answer choices

chesterfan1230

Postby chesterfan1230 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:17 am

ExcelBaller wrote:I haven't locked these down yet. When the stimulus is shorter I can easily diagram and get the answer, but when the question are loaded with a lot of information and the answer choices are all conditional statements I just get lost. Is there a better way than diagramming all this information or possibly a method to quickly eliminate wrong answer choices? Any input on dealing with these lengthy questions.

For the longer lengthier one's I've noticed that they generally don't require diagramming.

For Sufficient, I just keep an eye out for any jumps in the argument. With short one's this is usually resolved with a conditional but with lengthier passages the assumption is just a regular statement. Could be conditional, but diagramming isn't always needed.

Necessary assumptions? I don't think I ever diagram necessary at all. Just use the good ol' negate and see if it ruins the argument.

Anticipation greatly helps with both type of assumptions.

ExcelBaller

Postby ExcelBaller » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:11 pm

If I use the negation technique on an incorrect answer choice will it have no effect on the conclusion?

6lehderjets

Postby 6lehderjets » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:28 pm

Using the negate test on the 4 incorrect choices will either have no effect or may help the argument. Only the correct answer choice when negated will hurt the argument. The 4 others won't have that effect.

Also, for lengthy sufficient/necessary assumption questions don't forget the importance of needing to locate the conclusion because the correct answer choice will help the conclusion so you need to consider the choices with the frame of mind does this actually help the conclusion?

Hope this helps.

LSAT Blog

Postby LSAT Blog » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:35 pm

6lehderjets wrote:Using the negate test on the 4 incorrect choices will either have no effect or may help the argument. Only the correct answer choice when negated will hurt the argument. The 4 others won't have that effect.

Also, for lengthy sufficient/necessary assumption questions don't forget the importance of needing to locate the conclusion because the correct answer choice will help the conclusion so you need to consider the choices with the frame of mind does this actually help the conclusion?

Hope this helps.

Please be careful to only use the negation test on necessary assumption questions. Read why here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=171115

Read about how to tell the difference between the two types here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=171615

6lehderjets

Postby 6lehderjets » Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:40 pm

LSAT Blog wrote:
6lehderjets wrote:Using the negate test on the 4 incorrect choices will either have no effect or may help the argument. Only the correct answer choice when negated will hurt the argument. The 4 others won't have that effect.

Hope this helps.

Please be careful to only use the negation test on necessary assumption questions. Read why here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=171115

Read about how to tell the difference between the two types here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=171615

Thanks for making that distinction LSAT Blog, OP the negate test should be used for only necessary assumption questions.

ExcelBaller

Postby ExcelBaller » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:32 pm

Lsatblog, your website has been my homepage for the last three months! Thanks for the input, I just scored -2 on a LR section. My best since I began my prep. Looking forward to Dec 3

LSAT Blog

Postby LSAT Blog » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:48 pm

I'm honored. Congrats on the -2. Sounds like you're on track to rock it in a few weeks!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”