I got a 162 on the Oct. 2011 LSAT(which I'm happy w/) but...

FreeLolita

I got a 162 on the Oct. 2011 LSAT(which I'm happy w/) but...

Postby FreeLolita » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:41 am

I got 11 out of 23 questions wrong on the games section. WTF? I seriously thought I was MUCH better with games. I felt so comfortable with them to be perfectly honest. I literally have no friends who took the test, let alone know people who took the Oct. 2011 LSAT. So I am asking you guys: Were the Oct. '11 games notoriously difficult? I am re-taking in February and maybe skipping this cycle. What do I do to prepare?

shbe0701

Re: I got a 162 on the Oct. 2011 LSAT but...

Postby shbe0701 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:46 am

Take a prep course if you can afford it. The games section is the easiest one to master if you learn the right ways to go about them. They are extremely systematic and similar.

FreeLolita

Postby FreeLolita » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:50 am

shbe0701 wrote:Take a prep course if you can afford it. The games section is the easiest one to master if you learn the right ways to go about them. They are extremely systematic and similar.

Uuuggghhh I didn't want to hear that. You sound like my dad no offense. I really am more the self-study type, which is what I did for October. Thanks for the advice though. Do they really help that much?

DonnaDraper

Postby DonnaDraper » Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:11 am

FreeLolita wrote:
shbe0701 wrote:Take a prep course if you can afford it. The games section is the easiest one to master if you learn the right ways to go about them. They are extremely systematic and similar.

Uuuggghhh I didn't want to hear that. You sound like my dad no offense. I really am more the self-study type, which is what I did for October. Thanks for the advice though. Do they really help that much?

I say don't take a course. You don't need to especially if Games is your biggest problem. Use Manhattan/Powerscore/Velocity? I cannot really say anything about Velocity because I never used it, but for Games I pretty much meshed the Powerscore/Manhattan methods into what worked best for me. Once you have picked your method(s), practice, practice, practice. Do those games sections until you can shave 5, 10, maybe 15 minutes off your time. Take entire PTs with just Games.

As for the "notoriously difficult" concern, I would say that the October games were on the harder side, but not super-hard. I think December 2010 games were worse, and lucky for me, I also sat that administration (and had to re-take in October). Taking the Games section on game day (no pun intended) is a lot more stressful that during PTs as you may have noticed, so I say drill until you can do that crap in your sleep.

neeko

Re: I got a 162 on the Oct. 2011 LSAT(which I'm happy w/) but...

Postby neeko » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:43 am

I went -2 on Oct 2011 games (missed both in the first game for some reason). I did not think they were very hard, but I do know that a lot of other people struggled with them as well. If I were you, I would try to drill every game before February, ending with the most recent ones. But don't spend so much time on games that you neglect LR and RC.

Good luck.

Postby 03121202698008 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:56 am

You shouldn't be happy with a 162 if you dropped that many points on games. They are by far the easiest to make up with a little practice. Those 11 pts are the difference between T14 w/$ and crushing debt at a TTT/TTTT.

To put it in more economic terms, those 11 pts equal more than $1.5M in difference of expected earnings over a 30-year career...plus what you'd save with scholly. (This using conservative numbers...$50K difference in salary. At $100K a year difference which is more likely it'd be $3M.) If someone offered you a substantial chance at $1.5M to retake the test, would you do it?
Last edited by 03121202698008 on Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

NiccoloA

Postby NiccoloA » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:03 am

Dude. Retake.

If you can take a year off, do it. And don't worry about the course. If you're more of a self-study person, then the course won't be useful for you anyways.

FreeLolita

Postby FreeLolita » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:38 am

blowhard wrote:You shouldn't be happy with a 162 if you dropped that many points on games. They are by far the easiest to make up with a little practice. Those 11 pts are the difference between T14 w/$ and crushing debt at a TTT/TTTT.

To put it in more economic terms, those 11 pts equal more than $1.5M in difference of expected earnings over a 30-year career...plus what you'd save with scholly. (This using conservative numbers...$50K difference in salary. At $100K a year difference which is more likely it'd be $3M.) If someone offered you a substantial chance at $1.5M to retake the test, would you do it?

Yeah, it's weird though because I usually get A LOT more questios wrong on LR and LC, so I wasn't PT-ing higher than 162 9 out of ten times. On one LR section I was in the zone and dropped only 2 questions, which I have never done before. I am sure it is not unheard of, but is it unusual for someone to get 11 questions wrong in 1 section and still get a score like a 162?

Postby 03121202698008 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:39 am

FreeLolita wrote:
blowhard wrote:You shouldn't be happy with a 162 if you dropped that many points on games. They are by far the easiest to make up with a little practice. Those 11 pts are the difference between T14 w/$ and crushing debt at a TTT/TTTT.

Yeah, it's weird though because I usually get A LOT more questios wrong on LR and LC, so I wasn't PT-ing higher than 162 9 out of ten times. On one LR section I was in the zone and dropped only 2 questions, which I have never done before. I am sure it is not unheard of, but is it unusual for someone to get that many questions wrong in 1 section and still get a score like a 162?

Not really...because PT'ing at that range means you have the ability to hit 170 but haven't quite mastered the test yet. It's very learnable and you should retake even if you think your LR/LC will go down. You should be able to improve in all areas of the test.

msblaw89

Postby msblaw89 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:56 am

Just FYI... I took a course and I aced the oct'11 games. I started with self-study using the powerscore games bible (which is a great tool) but the class really gave me MORE information and helped to solidify methods and it also gave me different perspectives on how to approach the games.

Rawlberto

Postby Rawlberto » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:53 pm

You don't even need to take a year off. Just get the cambridge games section and drill. After enough of them they just "open up" where you don't even think about it. That is a huge amount of easy points to leave. I got a 164 and went -7 due to poor reading/bubbling, so I'm retaking for sure.

Dream Machine

Postby Dream Machine » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:46 pm

Wow you are an a**hole. If the OP says he or she is pleased with their score, and they worked hard for it, who the hell are you to tell them that they shouldn't be happy with it? Do you know what their background or aspirations are? I hope you get a 150/get rejected everywhere you apply/flunk out/can't find a job/get laid off, depending upon which stage of your life you are in.

Postby 03121202698008 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:00 pm

Dream Machine wrote:

Wow you are an a**hole. If the OP says he or she is pleased with their score, and they worked hard for it, who the hell are you to tell them that they shouldn't be happy with it? Do you know what their background or aspirations are? I hope you get a 150/get rejected everywhere you apply/flunk out/can't find a job/get laid off, depending upon which stage of your life you are in.

I'm the asshole? I'm pushing OP because he's wasting a great opportunity and will regret it. You turned it into a personal attack. OP obviously didn't take it as bad as you did. Did I strike a nerve? Hit a little close to home? Also, maybe you should actually read the OP. He says he is retaking.

And, if you want to take it personal...at least I know not to put an objective at the top of my resume...and the difference between objective and objection. HTH.

d0rklord

Postby d0rklord » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:15 pm

I say retake, and if you're already planning to take a year off...

Why not wait until the June LSAT?

That gives you plenty of time to pace yourself, and truly master the games... (as well as refine your skills on RC/LR too) :)

Oh yeah, and because Feb is undisclosed... BOOO!!!

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:17 pm

buy powerscore lg bible and workbook. Make 3 photocopies of every game you do...mix em up and drill. 2 new games, 2 old games a day. Do that for a while and you'll be scoring well. Trust me, games can be the easiest section to learn. You should retake just to see how you do...you say that your high score in lr was a fluke, but if you get your LG down to the -3 range (which is very possible), you can make up for it on Feb. Good luck!

mattviphky

Postby mattviphky » Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:19 pm

fwiw i was in your position last year but with a 155...i now have a 164. Studying and retaking pays off. I was going to go to school this fall, but I wanted to retake in June just to see how I would do. I paid my seat deposit and everything, but when I got my score back i decided i would take a year off and reapply to schools i really wanted to go to.

SUCO

Postby SUCO » Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:45 pm

I had the exact same thing happen to me on the December 2010 LSAT, 162, -11 on games. Retook at the October 2011 test, got another 162, -5 on games. Went -11 on the first LR section. The worst I've ever done on that section practice tests included was -6 prior to that one section. So if you decide to retake (do it in June or even next September/October, not February) make sure you stay up on those other sections because I made the mistake of thinking I was good enough on LR/RC to ignore studying it too heavily. Also definitely take a course, and a good one like Powerscore. As previous posters pointed out before me the $1300 or w/e the course costs is negligible in the grand scheme of things. Best of luck.

FryBreadPower

Postby FryBreadPower » Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:57 pm

blowhard wrote:
Dream Machine wrote:

I'm the asshole? I'm pushing OP because he's wasting a great opportunity and will regret it. You turned it into a personal attack. OP obviously didn't take it as bad as you did. Did I strike a nerve? Hit a little close to home? Also, maybe you should actually read the OP. He says he is retaking.

And, if you want to take it personal...at least I know not to put an objective at the top of my resume...and the difference between objective and objection. HTH.

Balthazar

Postby Balthazar » Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:52 pm

I'm in sort of the same position, I got a 161 on the Oct test missing somewhere between 12-16 questions on LG. I took an international test so I'm not sure on the specifics, but I had been preptesting at the low 170s, averaging -4 on games.

I felt awesome about every section of the Oct test but messed up my pacing, totally psyched out and just flat bombed the LG section. Its frustrating as I don't have a disclosed test so I can't analyze my score more, but if I would of done my average performance in games on that test I feel like I would of gotten one of my best scores ever.

I realize now that I was basically glossing over my games preparation, as I was naturally decent at them and didn't have the time to learn all the game types. I was just sort of hoping for a good game selection and performance come test day, and just messed up.

I think I'm putting of my retest until June, which gives me a nice amount of time to study. My thinking is, since I sort of ate shit the first time I'm going to bust my balls this time and get a high 170. I'm not really excited for another year off from school (graduated '07), but I think it'll allow me to strengthen my applications all around and definitely pay off with a better school or money come '13. Now I just have to figure out what to do for another year, heh.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”